Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fall planting in Canada Toplef10Fall planting in Canada 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fall planting in Canada I22gcj10Fall planting in Canada 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fall planting in Canada Toplef10Fall planting in Canada 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fall planting in Canada I22gcj10Fall planting in Canada 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fall planting in Canada

+7
BeetlesPerSqFt
sanderson
CapeCoddess
StrongAsMeat
bullfrogbabe
Old Hippie
Blackrose
11 posters

Go down

Fall planting in Canada Empty Fall planting in Canada

Post  Blackrose 8/19/2010, 8:49 am

Hello everyone!

I'm starting to think about what to plant in my garden for fall. The bush beans are just about done producing beans. My carrots are almost ready to pull and I'm just about to give up on my broccoli. I planted it from seed back in early May and it's still very small.Fall planting in Canada Icon_sad

Canada has 9 zones. From 0a all the way up in the arctic, to 5b in Newfoundland and 8a down in SW British Columbia. We have a wide variety of climates to grow in! Fall planting in Canada Icon_cheers

Here is a decent map showing the Canadian hardiness zones: http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/environment/forest/forestcanada/planthardi

With all of this information in mind, what are you planting in your fall garden? I'm in zone 5a, so I'm thinking I'll have to start my fall planting very soon. I may end up planting a lot of salad mix and radishes. I'm not sure what else I can plant here this time of year.

What zone are you in and when are you planning on starting your fall garden? Is anyone here lucky enough to be able to grow all winter too? I think our winter here in Southern Ontario may be too harsh to grow anything. Has anyone in southwest BC tried growing a garden in the winter?

I'm really interested to find out how everyone across the country gardens in the fall. Fall planting in Canada Icon_geek
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Fall planting in Canada Empty Re: Fall planting in Canada

Post  Old Hippie 8/19/2010, 9:46 pm

I am going to try some plantings of lettuce and radishes this weekend and see how they do since they are sort of cool weather type crops. A lot will depend on how soon we get a killing frost. I also have a cold frame that I am planning to use for parsley and basil and more lettuce. I want to experiment with different things in different areas to see where they do best.

Obviously, we don't really GROW anything here all winter but I do plant my garlic in the fall. This year I will put it in earlier than I usually do to see if I can get some better results. I am going to plant onions this fall too and see what kind of results I get.

In her vegetable book for Northern Gardens, Lois Hole recommended planting carrots from seed in the fall too so that is something else I plan to try. She said that you can plant many things in the fall and it will give you a couple of extra weeks the following spring.

One of my daughters lives in Vancouver and the other at Courtney, BC. Both of them have things like turnips, kale, kolrahbi almost until December. I don't know if they garden all winter or not. The one in Courtney usually has tomatoes against the house behind old storm window for night time protection until the November long weekend.

Best of luck with your winter gardening.

gk
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 8/20/2010, 9:44 pm

My broccoli didn't produce well either. I started mine inside back in March around the 15th and transplanted them outside Apr 25. They grew great but the heads were very tiny with only one twoony-sized head on each plant.....there must be a trick to broccoli we are not aware of as this is my second attempt both with similar results.

I also had poor results with radishes and beets over the last 2 years. There must also be a trick with them as I have had mixed success with root production on them....great tops but roots weren't produced on 75% fo the radishes and so far no beets. I read that radishes and beets need lots of phosphorus to produce well and that they don't like soil rich in fresh compost....I'll have to try again next year, less compost and a sprinkle of bone meal before seeds are planted this time to see if it works better.

I had great success with lettuce this year but it bolted very quickly once things got hot in July. I will replant some for a fall crop. Romaine did the best by far...also tried great lakes head lettuce and buttercrunch, they were nice too but bolted before I got the chance to harvest most of them.

Tomatoes are just coming on strong now, lots ripening. Also have had a few feeds of summer squash.

I grew sugar snap peas and they were great. They are also a cool temp crop and I will plant some for this fall. I find that I never plant enough of them so I will be doubling the number I plant a second time...they weathered the spring frosts so I am sure they will do well even when things cool down this fall.

bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 8/20/2010, 10:36 pm

I had problems with radishes and beets too. Something ate all of the leaves on my beets and the roots did nothing. The radishes seemed to just stop growing and again did nothing.

I didn't know about the phosphorous. I just replanted my radishes and beets after working some more compost into the soil. Hmmm... Live and learn I guess. I'll just wait it out and see how they do.

Fall planting in Canada Icon_sunny
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 8/21/2010, 9:01 pm

Last year, I couldn't seem to grow radishes to save my life. I have never in my life had trouble growing radishes before so that was weird to me. this year, they did great though and I have a third crop going. I really haven't checked to see how the beets are doing. The tops look good though. Last year the slugs got a lot of the tops so they didn't amount to much. I did get enough to last about a month but nothing to freeze or can.

That is good to know about the phosphorus. It sort of makes sense to add bone meal because that is what you need for root development and since beets and radishes are both roots it should work I would think. That it what you put in with tulips, onions and garlic so it would be worth a try. I will try that too.

Best of luck, ladies!

Gk
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  StrongAsMeat 7/10/2016, 8:30 am

I don't like bumping 6 year old threads, but it was the only one I found in Canada. I've got some squares that really didn't take  so I want to make use of them. Any suggestions on what I can plant this time of year?
StrongAsMeat
StrongAsMeat

Male Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/10/2016, 9:22 am

Not sure how far north you are but I just planted some sugar snap peas in the SFG and started some lettuces inside for fall planting. Kale and other greens might be a good idea right now, too, and try a few beets.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/10/2016, 11:10 am

Lettuce and radishes were mentioned above.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/10/2016, 1:15 pm

It looks like Belleville is between Toronto and Kingston.  The Old Farmer’s Almanac gives frost free dates for those locations as October 9th and 11th – so your first frost date is about the same as mine where I’m at in Pennsylvania.

My schedule mentions starting these from seed around now: Napa Cabbage, Bok Choy, Turnips, Rutabaga, Kale, Collards, and more Bush Beans.  I’m going to try broccoli, too – but I already have plants I started sooner. If you get transplants from a store you could still put in broccoli, cauliflower, or cabbage seedlings.

Looking at a weather forecast for your area, I think it’s a bit hot yet for lettuce to germinate readily outdoors. That inside CC mentioned is important: you’ll probably have better luck if you have a cool spot indoors that you can start the lettuce seeds, and transplant later. Beets prefer cool weather, but are more tolerant than lettuce. You can start beets indoors and transplant them, too (though some advise against transplanting beets.) My schedule has me waiting until August for the cool weather greens and fall/winter radishes – partly weather, partly because I won’t have squares free until then.

....And why is my schedule is missing my fall peas? thinking They're marked on the map plan...
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/10/2016, 1:16 pm

StrongAsMeat wrote:I don't like bumping 6 year old threads, but it was the only one I found in Canada. I've got some squares that really didn't take  so I want to make use of them. Any suggestions on what I can plant this time of year?
Thanks SAM for restarting this thread. Like you I am wondering what to plant now and over the next few weeks. I have a few empty squares and some more that will become available. I agree with CC and Sanderson re Kale, Sugar Snap Peas, Beets, Lettuce and Radish. Very good ideas there from Beetles as well.

I just read (see link below) that Kale, White Turnip, Daikon Radish, Pac Choi, Swiss Chard, Arugula and Kohlrabi are frost resistant.  My first frost date is October 2 so I need to work back from that date.

http://ottawacitizen.com/life/homes/gardening/top-12-edibles-to-grow
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/10/2016, 2:22 pm

One other thing ... we sometimes forget (I know I do) that there are some GREAT Planting Charts at the back of the ANSFG book. The "Planting Schedule for Fall Crops" and "Crops for a Fall Harvest" charts are good examples at this time. (Note: I have the first edition of the ANSFG book and I am not sure these same charts have the same titles in the second edition.)

When you get right down to it, the ANSFG book is an amazing resource. It's the book we should always go back to. It has just about all we need for SFG. Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2016, 1:26 pm

StrongAsMeat wrote:I don't like bumping 6 year old threads, but it was the only one I found in Canada.
Sam, I appreciate when someone takes the time to find an older thread that works instead of starting a new one with the same info. We have soooo many threads on some topics that it can become overwhelming to find what you are looking for. Thank you

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  StrongAsMeat 7/11/2016, 10:34 pm

Not a problem. There were other threads for the US market but I wanted a local one. I think I'll have go with bush beans and more lettuce, not too keen on all the other veggies.  Laughing
StrongAsMeat
StrongAsMeat

Male Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/11/2016, 11:15 pm

sanderson wrote:
StrongAsMeat wrote:I don't like bumping 6 year old threads, but it was the only one I found in Canada.
Sam,  I appreciate when someone takes the time to find an older thread that works instead of starting a new one with the same info.  We have soooo many threads on some topics that it can become overwhelming to find what you are looking for.  Thank you

Ditto. +1
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/11/2016, 11:24 pm

Potatoes for early smalls....turnips, some lettuce. I would wait on radishes...they do not like heat. Maybe August? But I notoriously suck at fall timing.....

Do what they say! But seed potatoes, if they are basically super chitted and ready to go? Winner! I got mine for free from the local nursery! Sent some to Suz! Mine are already up!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/11/2016, 11:33 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Potatoes for early smalls.... 

But seed potatoes, if they are basically super chitted and ready to go?  Winner!  I got mine for free from the local nursery! ... 
Another terrific idea SR. We already have potatoes in the regular soil garden but I would like to try some in a couple of empty SFG squares. I expect I would need a top hat on those squares. I don't expect to get anything for free from our local nurseries.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 7/14/2016, 8:04 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:Potatoes for early smalls....turnips, some lettuce.  I would wait on radishes...they do not like heat.  Maybe August?  But I notoriously suck at fall timing.....

Do what they say!  But seed potatoes, if they are basically super chitted and ready to go?  Winner!  I got mine for free from the local nursery!  Sent some to Suz!  Mine are already up!  

I know nothing of fall planting, but I'm trying to learn.  If you plant potatoes now "for early smalls," when would you harvest them?

GB
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/14/2016, 2:30 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
sanderson wrote:
Sam,  I appreciate when someone takes the time to find an older thread that works instead of starting a new one with the same info.  We have soooo many threads on some topics that it can become overwhelming to find what you are looking for.  Thank you

Ditto.  +1

I am happy that people do their research and bring up older threads.  Our SEARCH BOX is a precious resource to our Forum.  Much of the work has been done and can be added to.  Basically, very little really changes over the years with SFG. I can think of only one thing; One does not have to dig into the ground when setting up boxes, just lay the boxes on top.  That saved me hours of work when I started, and in any case I could not have dug into the ground due to too many huge rocks lying just under the surface.

Last edited by Kelejan on 7/15/2016, 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/15/2016, 7:03 pm

Ginger, You should check in with folks in your New England Region for winter planting as some of them are real experienced at gardening in your state.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down