Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello :) Toplef10Hello :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello :) I22gcj10Hello :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello :) Toplef10Hello :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello :) I22gcj10Hello :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello :)

+2
moosedroppings
kahrani
6 posters

Go down

Hello :) Empty Hello :)

Post  kahrani 8/11/2010, 5:41 pm

Hey there,

I'm Clare and I'm just starting to build an SFG - 3 4x4 boxes and a 2x4 box. I have a couple of questions which I'll post later!

I live in New Zealand, in the South Island which can be a lot colder than the North Island. It's winter here at the moment, but spring isn't far away and it's about time I planted a few things! Last year I grew quite a bit in containers as I was in a rental property, but now I own my own home so I can dig up the garden to my heart's content!

Looking forward to meeting you all Smile
kahrani

Back to top Go down

Hello :) Empty Re: Hello :)

Post  moosedroppings 8/11/2010, 6:04 pm

Hi Clare welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are ready for a diggin' good time!
moosedroppings
moosedroppings

Female Posts : 51

http://www.rubyplaza.com/shop/heartnotesperfume

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 8/11/2010, 10:20 pm

Welcome Clare Hello :) Icon_biggrin
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel 8/12/2010, 12:12 am

Welcome ! best of luck to you and your new place ! I can relate a little I think , we used to live in an apartment with no room on the tiny patio to grow anything , so we had a plot at the community garden, which I was greatful for but it was difficult. Nothing like having your own dirt ! congrats, looking forward to hearing your progress.
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  e 8/12/2010, 7:12 am

Hello Neighbour! Welcome to the forum. I'm really looking forward to spring as well (although I can't really say it gets too cold here) Hello :) Icon_biggrin

Erin
e
e

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 8/12/2010, 8:22 pm

Welcome! Smile I am really looking forward to see how your SFG goes... something to dream on while we have our winter!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  kahrani 8/12/2010, 9:54 pm

Thanks guys, I'm definitely looking forward to spring. Just waiting on my vermiculite to arrive, had real trouble sourcing it, but finally getting it shipped from a place in Christchuch (over 400km away from me), but it is somewhat cheaper than the only source I can find in Dunedin which only had medium anyway. Still really expensive though, glad I don't have to buy more than once - well until i build more beds, but I did buy a bit extra to accommodate that... This is the problem with living in a small country like NZ, there just isn't much demand for some things, so the prices go up. Compost is dirt cheap though! hehe
kahrani

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 8/12/2010, 10:02 pm

Glad you found some, at least. Don't forget to contribute to the Vermiculite Database! Smile

Do you have planting ideas for your SFGs yet?
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  kahrani 8/13/2010, 1:58 am

Just added it to the database!

I've got one box that will be for potatoes, parsnips and carrots. The rest will be brocolli, pak choi, peas, green beans, strawberries, brown onions, spring onions, spinach, mesclun (I prefer this to lettuce). I'm hoping it will be warm enough this summer for corn, tomatoes and cucumbers - I grew cherry tomatoes in containers last year pretty successfully, but I used to bring them inside the house if the nights got too cold. On a hot summer's day with clear skies, the temperature drops quite a lot at night (must be the lack of ozone here). Peppers and chillies would be great too - but I still have a pepper plant from last year in a container that never gave me any proper fruit - the few it did were cherry tomato size! Not sure what was wrong with it. I'd also like to set aside some squares for asparagus, though this takes a couple of years. I already have garlic and some other herbs growing in pots and in the garden (I inherited the herb bed but it needs an overhaul!) A lot of these things I grew in pots last year, but some things are new for me.

If I've got some spare boxes I'll grow some nasturtiums, marigolds and sunflowers - I somehow managed to kill the sunflower I got last year, it got really sick! I thought they were practically bulletproof but clearly not!

I'm hoping the vermiculite arrives tomorrow so I can start filling the boxes... though I've already perceived a slight problem - went out this morning and saw little cat paw prints on the weed fabric I'd laid down, my naughty kitty had better keep out the boxes when they are full! My next project may be building a cage....
kahrani

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 8/13/2010, 6:44 pm

kahrani wrote:Peppers and chillies would be great too - but I still have a pepper plant from last year in a container that never gave me any proper fruit - the few it did were cherry tomato size! Not sure what was wrong with it.
I had horrible luck with peppers until this year... I am actually getting some!

If I've got some spare boxes I'll grow some nasturtiums, marigolds and sunflowers - I somehow managed to kill the sunflower I got last year, it got really sick! I thought they were practically bulletproof but clearly not!

One thing I learned about nasturtiums is, if you are growing them from seed, you need to rough the seed up a bit with a nail file. This helps them to germinate. I still had low germination (maybe I wasn't rough enough?? Smile) but the two that DID sprout grew very well.... until I tried to transplant one of them. It is still alive but much less happy. So, my suggestion is to plant them where you want them. Sorry to hear about your sunflower, hope you have better luck this year.

I'm hoping the vermiculite arrives tomorrow so I can start filling the boxes... though I've already perceived a slight problem - went out this morning and saw little cat paw prints on the weed fabric I'd laid down, my naughty kitty had better keep out the boxes when they are full! My next project may be building a cage....

I'm sure she is examining your handiwork in changing around "HER" territory! We have some feral cats in the area...they have stayed out of the beds after they really were growing well, but I did see some digging before things had sprouted.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum