Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Welcome Arizona SFGers! Toplef10Welcome Arizona SFGers! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Welcome Arizona SFGers! I22gcj10Welcome Arizona SFGers! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Welcome Arizona SFGers! Toplef10Welcome Arizona SFGers! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Welcome Arizona SFGers! I22gcj10Welcome Arizona SFGers! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Welcome Arizona SFGers!

+19
cbrose
middlemamma
Furbalsmom
Caren
jamom
AZDYJ2K
Tiredmamaof5
AZWoodWorker
mckr3441
randia
Russtang
dssawtelle
JeffUSA
corrermucho
duhh
luvs2garden
Arya
acturley
Sonoran Garden
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty Welcome Arizona SFGers!

Post  Sonoran Garden 3/2/2010, 9:00 am

We have a nice group of Arizona folks growing on the Square Foot Gardening forums here and this is a great place to introduce yourselves and work together to garden in the desert.

So I have to ask: Are there any other SFGers out there crazy enough to garden in 100+ degree weather? Tell us about yourself!

Happy Gardening!
Don
www.sonorangarden.com
Sonoran Garden
Sonoran Garden

http://www.sonorangarden.com

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty Re: Welcome Arizona SFGers!

Post  Sonoran Garden 3/2/2010, 9:12 am

OK. I'll start. I began Square Foot Gardening in 2007 and the addiction has grown from there. Our family is really enjoying gardening and raising vegetables that taste better than they do coming from the store! It is catching on and I have had many people over to see how Square Foot Gardening works. I also have the journey chronicled in my blog at www.sonorangarden.com. Check it out and drop me a note if you have suggestions or questions.

Happy Gardening!
Don
www.sonorangarden.com
Sonoran Garden
Sonoran Garden

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty Arizona Square Foot Beginner

Post  acturley 3/10/2010, 2:55 pm

Hey Don,
Thanks for starting this group. I just started Square footing about 1 month ago. I moved into a place that had a few boxes already made but they were in bad shape. I fixed them up did some research and started on my quest.

Unfortunately I am moving at the end of this month and will not see all my work come to fruition, however, my garden is looking amazing, cabbage, lettuce, onions, and the beginning of squash, carrots, watermelons, and more. I am looking forward to starting from scratch and building up a great garden over time.

I will post some pictures to let you see how it ends up before I head to another section of town!

Aaron
acturley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sonoran Garden 3/11/2010, 9:46 am

Welcome to the forum Aaron!

It sounds like you have had a small taste of SFG and it has been a good one. If you dont have Mel's book All New Square Foot Gardening it is well worth picking up. Many check it out at the library if they dont want to commit to the purchase. Either way, it is full of great information on getting your SFG started and continuing on with it.

Good luck with your move.
Sonoran Garden
Sonoran Garden

Back to top Go down

Post  Arya 3/11/2010, 9:44 pm

Hi Don and Aaron! I'm a sophomore over at ASU (Tempe), and I just founded the organic gardening club. We have around 30 members and 1,800 square feet that we're going to slowly be converting into SFG space, so I'm really excited! I had a 4x6 box over the cool planting season, and I had vegetables coming out the ears. I have no idea how much produce we'll get as a club...probably have veggies coming out of other places.

I'd offer you good luck with this summer, but we've had such weird weather that I don't think we'd need it!

Arya
Arya

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty Crazy gardeners

Post  luvs2garden 3/13/2010, 6:19 pm

Are there any other SFGers out there crazy enough to garden in 100+ degree weather?

I'm one! I have to admit though, I try to get out early in the summer. I have just purchased Mel's book but have been gardening in raised beds for years. I have done grids, not done grids, etc. My raised beds are 3 feet tall so that I don't have to bend down so much. I also have a huge gopher problem (live in Queen Creek). So, I have rocks, chicken wire etc in the bottom portion of the beds. The rest is my own mixture of compost, vermiculite, sand and some potting soil.

Eager to see or read about what others have done.

Last edited by luvs2garden on 3/16/2010, 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
luvs2garden

Female Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty we're here in Glendale

Post  duhh 3/13/2010, 11:31 pm

Hubby and I started our fist sfg this year. We have One 4x8 box and so far its going alright. One of our tomato plants looks a bit sickly, but I think it has more to do with over watering because of all the rain. Hopefully it will perk back up with all the nice weather.

Other than that we have already enjoyed some cherry tomatoes, and even some yummy strawberries!

Can't wait to hear how everyone else is doing!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty Hi from up north

Post  corrermucho 3/15/2010, 2:41 am

Hello Fellow Arizonians.
My name is Marc and I live in Chino Valley, just north of Prescott. I wasn't sure if I qualify for SW Deserts or Mtn. Gardening. Last year was our first experiment in gardening. We did it the old fashion way with rows. Some things turned out well like tomatoes, cantelope, butternut squash, zucchini, chard, basil, and parsley. Others didn't--carrots, onions, cucumbers, broccoli, lettuce, spinich, etc. I saw the SFG book and thought it sounded great. My brother-in-law and I have built 9 boxes and I got one already filled my Mel's Mix and covered. I am trying to figure out when I can plant my cool weather spring seeds (onions, broccoli, kale, lettuce, spinich, radishes, carrots). We are supposed to be warming up, but it's been in the high 20's/low 30's at night.
I am excited to start and so are my kids!
corrermucho
corrermucho

Male Posts : 40

http://www.cvsd.k12.az.us/~mmetz@cvsdstaff.us/

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty Yavapai County Gardening

Post  luvs2garden 3/15/2010, 9:53 am

Hi- You may want to use the Master gardener dates as your guide to planting.
http://ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/publications/yavcobulletins/Yavapai%20County%20Vegetable%20Planting%20Dates.pdf
luvs2garden

Back to top Go down

Post  JeffUSA 3/15/2010, 9:27 pm

Hello everyone! Not in Arizona but only 30 miles from the Arizona border up here in Las Vegas. Trying figure out what can grow good when we hit the high heat this summer.
JeffUSA

Back to top Go down

Post  corrermucho 3/16/2010, 10:21 am

My parents live in Phoenix and my mom has a small garden. She has this book and likes it. It's Extreme Gardening--How to Grow Organic in the Hostile Deserts. I have looked through it and I like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Gardening-Organic-Hostile-Deserts/dp/0970501609/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268749225&sr=8-1

Last edited by corrermucho on 3/16/2010, 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : needed to add more info)
corrermucho
corrermucho

Male Posts : 40

http://www.cvsd.k12.az.us/~mmetz@cvsdstaff.us/

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty Dorothy's Garden Updated for March 2010

Post  dssawtelle 3/29/2010, 11:27 am

Hi Don, and all you other brave gardners who face the heat of Arizona. I'm back to blogging. I've been working hard these past few months to get everything growing before it gets too hot. Posted a new slide show on my blog which you can access here.
http://dssgarden.blogspot.com
dssawtelle

Female Posts : 18

http://http:dssgarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty Having trouble locating vermiculite in the East Valley

Post  Russtang 3/31/2010, 6:39 pm

Very enthusiastic about starting to SFG, but having trouble finding any vermiculite in Chandler. Been to every Lowes, Home Depot, Nursery I could find. Sad Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Russ
Russtang

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty Vermiculite

Post  luvs2garden 3/31/2010, 6:58 pm

I have purchased it at Summer Winds Nursery. I also saw it at A&P Nursery. I would call them first.
luvs2garden

Back to top Go down

Post  Russtang 3/31/2010, 8:36 pm

luvs2garden wrote:I have purchased it at Summer Winds Nursery. I also saw it at A&P Nursery. I would call them first.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll stop by both of them and check it out.
Russtang

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty Apache Junction garden

Post  randia 4/10/2010, 7:17 pm

Hi everyone! I moved to Apache Junction in November of last year, and I worked hard to get my SFG set up in time to get a winter-spring garden in before it was too hot. I planted my seeds for peas,tomatos, broccoli, brussell sprouts, lettuce, spinach and some assorted flowers on February 15th. Today, my peas have developing pods, some of the spinach is really ready (it was delicious!) and I have been harvesting my lettuce for my new diet all week. I'm crossing my fingers that the other veggies will make it to harvest before it gets too hot.
randia
randia

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 4/10/2010, 7:47 pm

Hi Randia, welcome to the Forums.Welcome Arizona SFGers! 396615

So many of us are stuck up in the north where the snow doesn't seem to want to stop. So when we read about all you folks harvesting already we get really jealous!Welcome Arizona SFGers! Icon_smile But it sure gives us incentive to stick it out and look forward to what we will be doing in just a short while.

Good luck to you with your garden. Keep us up-to-date with your progress and post pictures whenever you can.
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty Re: vermiculite

Post  dssawtelle 4/13/2010, 8:31 pm

Found coarse vermiculite at Sun West Container Co. 4101 W. Washington. (602) 353-9060. They also have a web site. http://www.sunwestcontainer.com
Comes in 4 cu. ft. bags. Can't remember the price.

Dorothy http://dssgarden.blogspot.com
dssawtelle

Female Posts : 18

http://http:dssgarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Russtang 4/15/2010, 8:15 pm

Russtang wrote:
luvs2garden wrote:I have purchased it at Summer Winds Nursery. I also saw it at A&P Nursery. I would call them first.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll stop by both of them and check it out.

Well, I stopped by Summerwinds mesa location a couple of weeks ago. They had 2.2 ft^3 bags of vermiculite for $17. A&P had 3.5ft^3 bags for $30. The math worked out better to buy from Summer winds.

They also had Mel's premix stuff in 2ft^3 bags for something like $16, which for my size garden was only a little more $, so I just bought the premix.

LINK

Joined the rewards club (for free) and got a 15% discount off the mix! So it ended up costing about the same as mixing it all myself!

Might be a little late for anyone to start a garden out here, but just thought I'd let everyone know for next time. Very Happy

Russ
Russtang

Back to top Go down

Post  AZWoodWorker 4/16/2010, 2:31 pm

I was able to buy Mel's Mix at the local Home Depot. I've got peas, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins, etc coming up now.
AZWoodWorker

Male Posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty am I crazy to garden in Arizona in the summer!

Post  Tiredmamaof5 7/2/2010, 11:12 pm

First summer in Arizona, moved here from CA. First time gardener also. Set up two 8 square boxes that I purchased at A&P nursery. Very easy, no tools, and Mel's mix pre-packaged. Planted strawberry plants, half of them survived and are still surviving this heat. I hear that it takes two seasons for them to produce. Does anyone know if that is true or not?

I have plenty of zuchinni, some tomatoes, bell peppers, Jalepenos. I planted some roma tomatoes in a big planter but they turned red before they got big. Tasted good though. Other than trying to deal with birds getting my tomatoes, I think it did pretty good for my first garden. I planted some green beans and peas in April. The peas have burned up, but the green beans are still surviving.

I water every morning. I am a little disappointed that I seem to have more weeds than I anticipated. I put a weed cover on the bottom of the boxes, so I think either the birds are contributing or the wind. I am going to build some boxes on legs for my fall crop. I'm excited to plant another crop for cooler temps.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, would love to hear them.
Tiredmamaof5

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 7/4/2010, 6:35 pm

I just started my SFG in June basically. It's taken me about 4 weeks to finally plant something. We'll see how it goes in this hottest part of the year.

I have a strawberry plant in our flower bed in the front of our house and it has survived for over 2 years now. It has fruited each spring, however, the fruit is not good and is usually eaten up by pests. To answer your question, it did have fruit on the plant when I purchased it from Home Depot.

Good luck.
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty YIKES!! I killed it - is it too late??

Post  jamom 7/9/2010, 1:45 am

H!
My mom introduced me to SFG amd I love the idea - my hubby built me a 3 foot raised box - it is great. Started it in early May, things were looking good, but no production. Between beginning summer sports and activities for my kids, going out of town and temp reaching over 110 - I have COMPLETED let my SFG go - everything is dead!! It is not hooked up to an automatic water supply. I am pretty sue my reasoning is telling me to let it go for now (right??) but then when can I start over?

Thanks!!

Kate
jamom

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty fall/winter planting in Phoenix

Post  duhh 7/9/2010, 3:43 am

Just attented a class a couple weeks ago for fall veggie garden planning. They were saying that Mid August- Sept is when you want to plant your fall/winter garden. If you want pumpkins for Halloween they were saying plant them asap.

My dogs have demolished my garden, so I am going to replant come Late Aug early Sept when it gets to be in the low 100s or so. Hopefully it will go better. Will also be installing a new fence to keep the dogs out by then.

Before the dogs ate everything I did have some nice strawberries, pepers, chard, squash was still little but coming along. My tomato plants were spared until the tomatoes got large enough for my dogs to easily get them. Now I haven't gotten any tomatoes in 3 weeks. I keep catching the dogs eating green tomatoes though. with it getting so hot nothing is setting now. I was hoping that they would set higher up on the plants so they couldn't reach them, but didn't happen. Looking forward to next planting season!! Love this SFG stuff! I have maybe had to pull 3 weeds so far this year!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Welcome Arizona SFGers! Empty Welcome

Post  Caren 6/13/2011, 10:52 am

Hi everyone! My family just moved into a home in Peoria. I am a newbie to gardening, but have a strong desire to learn. We are short on cash...like who isn't, but it seems like this style of gardening will work the best. We've just planted fruit trees in the back, but we have left 2 nice sections open for gardening. Bye the way, I have been told time after time, "you can't use planter boxes in Arizona because it gets too hot." Thanks for showing me it can be done...and done in abundance! I look forward to it (with everyone's support)!
Caren

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next