Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
brussel - BS is for brussel sprouts - Page 2 Toplef10brussel - BS is for brussel sprouts - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

brussel - BS is for brussel sprouts - Page 2 I22gcj10brussel - BS is for brussel sprouts - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
brussel - BS is for brussel sprouts - Page 2 Toplef10brussel - BS is for brussel sprouts - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

brussel - BS is for brussel sprouts - Page 2 I22gcj10brussel - BS is for brussel sprouts - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

BS is for brussel sprouts

+11
Marc Iverson
Windsor.Parker
point
LittleGardener
sanderson
RoOsTeR
moosedroppings
Odd Duck
camprn
chocolatepop
boffer
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

brussel - BS is for brussel sprouts - Page 2 Empty Re: BS is for brussel sprouts

Post  bnoles 9/9/2013, 5:15 am

I'll be planting my transplants in buckets in a few days and plan to go with one per bucket.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

brussel - BS is for brussel sprouts - Page 2 Empty Re: BS is for brussel sprouts

Post  plantoid 9/9/2013, 7:13 am

boffer wrote:I haven't seen much talk about BS on the forum-probably cause no appreciates how good they can taste after the first frost.  But Camp posted a few of her BS pics that got me wondering.  https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/new-england-f4/the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost-t3574.htm#27049

To pick the leaves and stems off or not?  Is there anything to do that will keep the sprouts from opening prematurely?  7 out of 8 of my BS plants this year come out of the ground crooked-not straight like Camp's do-any ideas?

brussel - BS is for brussel sprouts - Page 2 100_2421

brussel - BS is for brussel sprouts - Page 2 100_2423

brussel - BS is for brussel sprouts - Page 2 100_2422

Too rich a soil will almost certainly cause blown sprouts so will a week or so of  slightly warmer than seasonal weather especially if there is plenty of sunshine.
 Sprouts are a cool weather crop that does well after the first frost on them if they are nice tight 3/4 to 1& 1/2  inch dia sized balls  .
 Pick from the bottom upwards cut off the blown sprouts and with luck  you'll have some decent crop .

Come spring eat the tops lightly boiled  ,buttered and peppered when green veg is in short supply .

If you're in for a prolonged icy cold spell and you have one or two full stalks of sprouts , cut the whole stalk off and hang it in a frost & draught  free but very cool garage etc. they keep for a few weeks when kept on the stalks in this manner , as they won't dry out like they would in a warm or airy place. 

plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/9/2013, 7:30 am

Re container grown sprouts ...

The root system on  garden grown sprouts can easily reach 18 inches across and nine inches deep ..me thinks you need some big containers and also some device to stake then up right or clip than to a rope as when they get to two foot six or more tall they will act as sails in even inn light winds and end up likely to be  toppling the tubs over.

As an aside ,  the root balls on my  last years  sprouts grown in my  MM bed sprouts filled the whole three foot by three foot bed and went down to well over 15 inches in most cases , the greenery form three plants per 9 sq. ft.  swamped every other plant in the bed early in the growth season .

So this year  I've resorted to only eventually leaving one sprout plant in the centre  square foot of each bed after I've harvested the other crops  .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 9/9/2013, 9:20 am

Marc Iverson wrote:...Will you thin them at all?  Or are those even b.sprouts?
The buckets were available and simply expedient germination beds!
I'm planning to transplant each seedling out in the garden raised beds where they'll have room to grow. Yes Marc, they're Brussel Sprouts in the bottom orange bucket.

Last edited by Windsor.Parker on 9/9/2013, 9:25 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 9/9/2013, 11:18 am

Plantoid..... then you think a 5 gallon bucket may not be the best option?

I am all planted out in my Fall beds and have no room left for these transplants. I guess I will have to give it a go in the buckets and hope for the best. Sad 

I'll keep us posted on how it goes.
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 9/9/2013, 12:19 pm

bnoles, here is an idea that might help, it would keep the buckets from turning over. I found this video and plan on using his idea to build stands for my buckets. You could do it on a smaller scale if you don't need it to hold as many buckets as he built it for. Five Gallon Bucket Garden Stand Design
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 9/9/2013, 2:18 pm

TxGramma wrote:bnoles, here is an idea that might help, it would keep the buckets from turning over. I found this video and plan on using his idea to build stands for my buckets. You could do it on a smaller scale if you don't need it to hold as many buckets as he built it for. Five Gallon Bucket Garden Stand Design
WOW! Now that is some good thinking and he really has his act together. I like what he has going on and there is some good ideas in there.

Thanks for the link!
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/9/2013, 2:37 pm

Ditto, Clever idea, and thanks for posting the link.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/9/2013, 2:51 pm

That link was wonderful to look at but Oh my, what a construction project.  He would have used far less wood by building sfg beds.  I have one bucket brigade of 4 buckets, a cattle panel, and Florida weaved rope around the buckets to the green u posts at either end of the brigade.  The rope secures the buckets in heavy wind. The cattle panel is also attached to the green u posts.  But that's me and my low tech approach.
Smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 9/9/2013, 5:53 pm

LM, I agree I wouldn't do my whole garden that way. But I will be doing something similar for the buckets that I am using in addition to my SFG beds. Not only are they contained but raised and I like the way it looks. I like your set up too and I'm all for the low tech approach.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/9/2013, 6:20 pm

I suppose one good thing about being short, sunny  is when a plant is placed in the top of the bucket sitting on the ground, the transplant now is raised as far as I'm concerned !!
Razz
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 9/9/2013, 6:48 pm

Laughing  That's true!!! And I definitely fit into that category too. Razz

And now back to the subject...brussel sprouts... Very Happy 
TxGramma
TxGramma

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 9/9/2013, 6:57 pm

+1 llama momma:rofl:
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/9/2013, 8:41 pm

For sheer simplicity and cheapness I think I'd consider strapping five or six  five gallon buckets together using those cheap one inch wide  cargo ratchet straps so you have an unused one filled one with MM in the middle , planting a sprout plant in the outer ones .

You could always try and grow some shade loving crop such as celery  in the middle bucket .

I doubt that the wind would blow such an island of tubs over .
Best of all you could virtually place the tubs anywhere you like out side your ANSFG bed thus avoiding shading the other plants in the beds .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/10/2013, 5:30 pm

Being able to put the buckets right where the sun is, and at the same time avoiding shading some of your plants, is a strong recommendation for them. Many of us have space for more plants, but not where the sun is -- more where the leafy, overhanging trees are! I have a single bucket in a neighbor's yard to grab some of his wonderful all-day sun. Another tomato in the same places I usually garden would just spend most of the day in the shade.

Mine is a self-watering bucket, and I think I'll make the rest of mine that way. Making them is a fun project, and not having to worry so much about getting the right amount of water appeals to the lazy part of me, as well as calming the worrywart part of me. Next spring I'd like to have a good half-dozen of them or more.

Those self-watering buckets are heavy, too, make no mistake. It would take quite a gale to knock one over, methinks.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2