Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What material you used for a grid ? ? Toplef10What material you used for a grid ? ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What material you used for a grid ? ? I22gcj10What material you used for a grid ? ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What material you used for a grid ? ? Toplef10What material you used for a grid ? ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What material you used for a grid ? ? I22gcj10What material you used for a grid ? ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What material you used for a grid ? ?

+16
shannon1
MCard
sfg4uKim
boog1
a0628h0427
middlemamma
Miss M
WardinWake
cachecrashers4
Unmutual
NeuroticPurpleOrchid
kevin95630
xhazzie
Mirjam
Lavender Debs
PeeVee
20 posters

Go down

What material you used for a grid ? ? Empty What material you used for a grid ? ?

Post  PeeVee 3/14/2010, 1:30 pm

I tried to make a grid of 7 mm round wood today, but it kept breaking where it shouldn't.
I tried this because I like to keep the grid small in diameter. 7 mm was obviously too small for my carpenter's abilities...

How did you make your grid?? What material did you use and how did you construct it??
PeeVee

Male Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

What material you used for a grid ? ? Empty Re: What material you used for a grid ? ?

Post  Lavender Debs 3/14/2010, 2:00 pm

We settled on 3/4" x 2" and still think it is too thick. Nice and solid (sometimes I loose my mind and lean on them). They hold the cover up a little higher than we would like. Raccoons and puppies have to just look but I do not think it will be hard for a rodent of any sort to get in. My husband is sure the next one will not have that issue.

What material you used for a grid ? ? 5_feb_10

I don't know if you can see the gap or not, but toward the back corner I think you might be able to see how the cover is up quite a ways from the frame. This was before the hinge and the hook & eyes were added.

Deborah ....who thinks valance ribs are probably a good idea

Last edited by Lavender Debs on 3/14/2010, 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Whoops, wrong pic)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

What material you used for a grid ? ? Empty Re: What material you used for a grid ? ?

Post  PeeVee 3/14/2010, 2:16 pm

No raccoons in Europe. So that makes life a bit easier for me.
Mice and birds (especially pigeons are a pest) are the worst I get.
But I really hope to get a good tip for the grid material itself. I was thinking of some 2nd hand "luxaflex". The small ones would be OK i guess.
Does anyone has experience?
PeeVee

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 3/16/2010, 4:35 pm

Hoi,

ik heb gewoon de goedkoopste latjes gehaald bij de bouwmarkt, en aan elkaar geniet met een electrische tacker. Daarna het geheel gelakt zodat het wat langer meegaat, hopelijk Smile
Je zou ook geimpregneerde latjes kunnen nemen natuurlijk, maar dat wordt al gauw duurder.
Mirjam
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PeeVee 3/17/2010, 6:49 am

Ik denk dat ik voor bamboe-stokken ga, die ook gebruikt worden als plantensteun. Dan op de juiste plaatsen een plat kantje eraan maken en met een nylontouwtje met elkaar verbinden.
Ik zou liefst geen geïmprigneerde dingen willen gebruiken i.v.m. de giftige stoffen die daar voor gebruikt worden.
PeeVee

Back to top Go down

Post  xhazzie 3/17/2010, 9:00 am

Duct tape.

I have those black plastic grow beds from Gardeners.com and duct tape seems to do the trick. They sell pre-made grids but I'm sticking with my tape for now.
xhazzie
xhazzie

Female Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

What material you used for a grid ? ? Empty Vinyl mini blinds

Post  kevin95630 5/13/2011, 2:41 am

People throw them away all the time, so you might get lucky and be able to scavenge some for free. You can buy a new set of cheap blinds for about $10. With luck, they'll already be the exact size you need, but if your boxes are not quite as long as the blinds, you can cut the slats with scissors easy enough.

Get some plastic snap rivets, which you can find at a computer supply store. They are small little plastic pins that "snap" together to hold things in place in a computer enclosure. Cheap and durable and you don't need tools to install them.

Cut the string on the blinds to liberate the slats, storing the extras in the box they came in as backup or replacement parts. Put the extra snap rivets in the box too, so you'll be able to find them 2 years from now when you need to replace a slat or something.

Cut the slats to size for your boxes, and divide the length by 4 and mark them for drilling a little hole. For example, for a perfect 4'x4' bed, you'd buy 48" blinds and then make a mark every 12". If your boxes are perfectly square, take 6 slats, hold them together and drill your first hole. Put one of the snap rivets into the hold to hold them together while you drill the remaining 3 holes. If you box is not perfectly square, you'll do 3 slats at a time, measuring each direction and dividing by 4. In this case, be sure to keep the slats separate and identified so you don't get confused when you go to assemble your grid.

Assemble into a grid, insert the snap rivets at each "intersection". The resulting structure can be "folded" together for moving it around or storage at the end of the season. It makes a really nice grid that will last a good long time, and if it does get damaged, you've got that box of spare parts. If you can remember where you stashed it!
kevin95630

http://www.ulc.net

Back to top Go down

Post  NeuroticPurpleOrchid 5/13/2011, 2:44 am

String! What material you used for a grid ? ? 13688 String! What material you used for a grid ? ? 13688 String! What material you used for a grid ? ? 13688
NeuroticPurpleOrchid
NeuroticPurpleOrchid

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 5/13/2011, 7:06 am

1/2" wide x 1/4" thick pieces of wood that I ripped on the table saw. I'll probably use string(or steel wire if I can find it cheap enough) for my next series of boxes though. I don't think anyone could garrote themselves on the steel wire set as a grid. If they do, then it probably wasn't going to be their day anyway.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  cachecrashers4 5/13/2011, 7:56 am

I used 3/8" rebar for my grid. What material you used for a grid ? ? P5130010
cachecrashers4
cachecrashers4

Male Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

What material you used for a grid ? ? Empty pallet strapping.

Post  WardinWake 5/13/2011, 8:08 am

Howdy Fellow Gardeners:

At work we get pallets of material that is strapped to the pallet. Normally the straps are thrown away so I gather them up and use them to make trellis and grid material. They are strong, strong, strong. Most are white but some are different. One bed we made with bright yellow strap. Looks so cool against the green spinach and carrot tops.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss M 5/13/2011, 11:53 am

We used hot pink nylon twine! I used a staple gun to staple it to the inside of the bed, and then my mom tied the string to the staple. We did draw the twine too tight, as I'll have a length pull out occasionally. I untie it, tap the staple back in, and retie it. Next time, I know not to draw it so tight, since it'll tighten on its own. Very Happy

I like it, as it takes up virtually no space! cheers

Awesome idea, with the pallet strapping! And being able to make trellis with it, too! cyclops
Miss M

http://sithrahfarm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/13/2011, 11:58 am

I love using string. It's nylon and comes in different colors at home depot on the rope aisle. Works like a charm!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  a0628h0427 5/13/2011, 12:10 pm

I use wood lath strips joined at each intersection with a small nut and bolt. Because there are a lot of cats in my neighborhood and my boxes are such inviting litterboxes, I cut 1 foot squares of chicken wire to sit over each square when the seedlings are coming up.
a0628h0427
a0628h0427

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/13/2011, 2:01 pm

i hada whole grocery bag fulla yellow nilon rope from a place i worked so i cut it to lenth used screws and flat washers to secure it to the top of the boxs

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/Personal-album-of-boog1/pict0017-pic_2046.htm
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 5/13/2011, 3:12 pm

I use 3/4" screen molding and clear plastic "nuts & bolts".

What material you used for a grid ? ? Img_1610

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

What material you used for a grid ? ? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

What material you used for a grid ? ? Empty Economy ruled for us!

Post  MCard 5/13/2011, 3:26 pm

We happened to have a lot of bamboo canes on hand. A nice set of loppers was able to cut them to the lengths we needed, and they're just placed in the bed. I may choose to lash the grid together at some point, but am pretty happy with it as it is for now.

We're to the point of needing a trellis now for the peas and cukes, and are contemplating using more canes. Our beds are only 2' wide, so we're thinking that bamboo could hold such a trellis adequately. We'll put rebar sticks in the ground and put the canes over them.

But, if that doesn't work, metal conduit is cheap!

Enjoy!
MCard

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/14/2011, 4:19 am

White nylon string, cheap, easy, takes no space, and looks good too. What material you used for a grid ? ? 311672
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  gingeandhales 5/14/2011, 9:49 am

I just used twine. So far it is working fine. It doesn't lie directly on the soil but that hasn't been a problem yet.
gingeandhales

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/14/2011, 10:32 am

My original three boxes have wooden grids that my husband made. The 4th box had jute twine which worked well for me. Box 4 also has radish grids. I thought I would just use twine for box 5, even got all the U-nails in every 12 inches. I didn't get to very far stringing the twine before I realized that I didn't have enough. Blue birthday ribbon (Mylar) has been working exceptionally well.
What material you used for a grid ? ? May_1_23
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  tazman7 5/14/2011, 12:10 pm

I used 16 gauge galvanized wire.

I was going to use wood but I liked the idea of the wire not taking up really any room.

You can see pics in "My garden layout" topic.
tazman7

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 5/14/2011, 2:41 pm

cachecrashers4 wrote:I used 3/8" rebar for my grid. What material you used for a grid ? ? P5130010

I'm kinda diggin this. How are your bars held together? Are they heavy enough after they are stuck into the square position your able to just lay them down and not attach to the box? Looks very cool!
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  oxmyx1 5/14/2011, 3:07 pm

Kim, did you find out from your biz partner where he got the little plastic rivet things? I'm thinking about using someone's idea of metal venetian blind slats since I have one that one of my dogs tried to 'see' through. Very Happy
oxmyx1
oxmyx1

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  cachecrashers4 5/14/2011, 4:15 pm

krazikandiland wrote:
cachecrashers4 wrote:I used 3/8" rebar for my grid. What material you used for a grid ? ? P5130010

I'm kinda diggin this. How are your bars held together? Are they heavy enough after they are stuck into the square position your able to just lay them down and not attach to the box? Looks very cool!

I measured and marked the boxes at 1' increments. I then laid the rebar on the marks and wire tied at the intersections. The grid is heavy enough to just lay on top of the box, but I can easily remove the grid if I need to. I really like the look of the cold metal bars against the warmth of the wood and plants.
cachecrashers4
cachecrashers4

Male Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 5/14/2011, 5:06 pm

I'm sorry, but no he didn't.

BUT here's the link I put on the other post:
http://www.merchandisinginventives.com/VS_1_Viking_Screw_with_Locking_Nut_p/vs-1.htm

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

What material you used for a grid ? ? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down