Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 Toplef10My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 I22gcj10My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 Toplef10My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 I22gcj10My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load

+14
veronica_p8
Aussie Girl
dixie
MsMinchin
aspiegardner
Megan
silverbug
junequilt
quiltbea
milaneyjane
boffer
PeggyC
kimbertangleknot
chocolatepop
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 Empty Broccoli Holes and Broken Off Peas

Post  veronica_p8 7/11/2010, 9:22 pm

Silverbug,

I had similar holes on my Cole crops (broccoli, collards, brussel sprouts, cauliflour, etc) and I was using neem oil to try to control it, until I figured out it was cabage lopers (through online research) and BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) is the organic solution for it. It kills the caterpillars that are eating your plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

Also, the plants (peas) being cut off at ground level sound like Cutworms ... I haven't had them (yet! fingers crossed) but I've read about them. It is a caterpillar that surrounds the plant at ground level and cuts it off. If you put toothpicks or bamboo skewers next to the stem so the caterpillar can't completely encircle it, supposedly that stops them.

Take a look online. There are lots of resources and forums to find out about these things. I just visited this forum today for the first time, read this thread, and had to create an account to respond because the holes in my cabbage plants were making me NUTS until i figured out what was going on.

It's my first year of gardening at all, and I've made 12 4x4 beds with ammended soil, but they are not raised. I plant according to SFG guidelines and things are going crazy Smile

Good luck to you in your pest control. It's been interesting learning about all of this over the past few months, and I'm enjoying going organic. Smile

-Veronica
veronica_p8

Back to top Go down

My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 Empty Re: My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load

Post  rainiermt 7/12/2010, 7:38 am

Very nice-I love the garden-certainly wish we had the space! I see in your potatoes boxes and bags, you have straw/hay on top-what are the potaoes planted in? Last year, we made the potato boxes and built up, but had maybe one or two potaoes in each 3x3 box. Did you use Mel's mix or something else?
Thanks and what a fabulous garden you have! Bravo!!
rainiermt

Back to top Go down

My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 Empty Re: My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load

Post  Inna 7/14/2010, 11:27 pm

Wow, amazing!! I am so inspired to do more next year!!
Inna

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 7/15/2010, 12:22 am

rainiermt wrote:Very nice-I love the garden-certainly wish we had the space! I see in your potatoes boxes and bags, you have straw/hay on top-what are the potaoes planted in? Last year, we made the potato boxes and built up, but had maybe one or two potaoes in each 3x3 box. Did you use Mel's mix or something else?
Thanks and what a fabulous garden you have! Bravo!!

I used straight compost/manure to plant the taters in. But one or two bags/boxes are planted with mels mix. but I forget which ones My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 Icon_redface
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/16/2011, 3:53 pm

chocolatepop, I'm curious what you ended up with from your garden. I can't believe I missed this thread, your garden is amazing! I love the variety of containers, it's wonderfully eclectic Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 1/17/2011, 9:01 am

miinva wrote:chocolatepop, I'm curious what you ended up with from your garden. I can't believe I missed this thread, your garden is amazing! I love the variety of containers, it's wonderfully eclectic Smile

haahaa thank you! well here is another link to some updates from I think septemberish? I'll try to find more later on, or I'll just post some pictures.

Things went SWIMMINGLY considering how late I planted everything, I had tomatoes well into first frost Wink and even pumpkins, beans etc. and TONS of potatoes! ok not tons but a lot Smile

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3984-yay-and-things-are-kickin-ina-little-late-but-better-than-none
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/17/2011, 9:31 am

Hey CP! LTNS, Hope all is well. Do you have grand plans for this spring?
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2