Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 Toplef10My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 I22gcj10My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» August planting
by has55 Today at 10:41 am

» Jalapeños - Time to start canning!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» N&C Midwest: August 2020
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Pesto
by has55 Yesterday at 2:15 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September
by Kelejan Yesterday at 7:19 am

» my worms are gonna get hungry
by p14shooter 8/11/2020, 6:45 pm

» Tom Thumb
by p14shooter 8/11/2020, 6:35 pm

» Tomato Tuesday - 2020
by plantoid 8/10/2020, 8:31 pm

» another idea from do nothing gardening-composting tea
by plantoid 8/10/2020, 7:46 pm

» Green Chili's
by OhioGardener 8/10/2020, 6:55 pm

» 2020 SFG in Brooks, GA
by sanderson 8/10/2020, 6:25 pm

» 2020 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by sanderson 8/10/2020, 5:37 am

» Newbie SFGer in N. Virginia needing some advice
by novablue 8/9/2020, 7:29 pm

» Hardcore Sustainability - Urban Homesteading
by TCgardening 8/9/2020, 12:23 pm

» A couple of recipes for when the tomatoes show up ;-)
by Scorpio Rising 8/9/2020, 9:35 am

» Tomato Mosaic Virus...Fearing the Worst :(
by Yardslave 8/7/2020, 12:26 pm

» The SFG journey-Overview of the Redesign Compost Tea Brewer
by has55 8/7/2020, 3:50 am

» Tampa newbie
by TCgardening 8/6/2020, 9:11 am

» Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans?
by Scorpio Rising 8/5/2020, 8:45 pm

» Safety of cardboard in compost
by Scorpio Rising 8/5/2020, 8:42 pm

» Succession seed sowing now
by Scorpio Rising 8/5/2020, 8:37 pm

» Hello from southern Wisconsin
by AtlantaMarie 8/5/2020, 6:07 am

» Stroke - Country Naturals
by countrynaturals 8/4/2020, 7:28 pm

» Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.
by mollyhespra 8/4/2020, 2:19 pm

» Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!!
by sanderson 8/4/2020, 2:06 pm

» SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment
by has55 8/4/2020, 1:01 pm

» New England, August, 2020
by SFGHQSTAFF 8/4/2020, 4:18 am

» Earwigs 2.0!
by OhioGardener 8/3/2020, 2:52 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/3/2020, 12:56 pm

» N&C Midwest—July 2020
by Scorpio Rising 8/3/2020, 12:40 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 Empty Broccoli Holes and Broken Off Peas

Post  veronica_p8 on 7/11/2010, 9:22 pm

Silverbug,

I had similar holes on my Cole crops (broccoli, collards, brussel sprouts, cauliflour, etc) and I was using neem oil to try to control it, until I figured out it was cabage lopers (through online research) and BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) is the organic solution for it. It kills the caterpillars that are eating your plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

Also, the plants (peas) being cut off at ground level sound like Cutworms ... I haven't had them (yet! fingers crossed) but I've read about them. It is a caterpillar that surrounds the plant at ground level and cuts it off. If you put toothpicks or bamboo skewers next to the stem so the caterpillar can't completely encircle it, supposedly that stops them.

Take a look online. There are lots of resources and forums to find out about these things. I just visited this forum today for the first time, read this thread, and had to create an account to respond because the holes in my cabbage plants were making me NUTS until i figured out what was going on.

It's my first year of gardening at all, and I've made 12 4x4 beds with ammended soil, but they are not raised. I plant according to SFG guidelines and things are going crazy Smile

Good luck to you in your pest control. It's been interesting learning about all of this over the past few months, and I'm enjoying going organic. Smile

-Veronica
veronica_p8

Back to top Go down

My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 Empty Re: My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load

Post  rainiermt on 7/12/2010, 7:38 am

Very nice-I love the garden-certainly wish we had the space! I see in your potatoes boxes and bags, you have straw/hay on top-what are the potaoes planted in? Last year, we made the potato boxes and built up, but had maybe one or two potaoes in each 3x3 box. Did you use Mel's mix or something else?
Thanks and what a fabulous garden you have! Bravo!!
rainiermt

Back to top Go down

My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 Empty Re: My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load

Post  Inna on 7/14/2010, 11:27 pm

Wow, amazing!! I am so inspired to do more next year!!
Inna

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop on 7/15/2010, 12:22 am

@rainiermt wrote:Very nice-I love the garden-certainly wish we had the space! I see in your potatoes boxes and bags, you have straw/hay on top-what are the potaoes planted in? Last year, we made the potato boxes and built up, but had maybe one or two potaoes in each 3x3 box. Did you use Mel's mix or something else?
Thanks and what a fabulous garden you have! Bravo!!

I used straight compost/manure to plant the taters in. But one or two bags/boxes are planted with mels mix. but I forget which ones My so-called Urban Garden-picture over load - Page 2 Icon_redface
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva on 1/16/2011, 3:53 pm

chocolatepop, I'm curious what you ended up with from your garden. I can't believe I missed this thread, your garden is amazing! I love the variety of containers, it's wonderfully eclectic Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 778

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop on 1/17/2011, 9:01 am

@miinva wrote:chocolatepop, I'm curious what you ended up with from your garden. I can't believe I missed this thread, your garden is amazing! I love the variety of containers, it's wonderfully eclectic Smile

haahaa thank you! well here is another link to some updates from I think septemberish? I'll try to find more later on, or I'll just post some pictures.

Things went SWIMMINGLY considering how late I planted everything, I had tomatoes well into first frost Wink and even pumpkins, beans etc. and TONS of potatoes! ok not tons but a lot Smile

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3984-yay-and-things-are-kickin-ina-little-late-but-better-than-none
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn on 1/17/2011, 9:31 am

Hey CP! LTNS, Hope all is well. Do you have grand plans for this spring?
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum