Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Toplef10Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... I22gcj10Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Toplef10Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... I22gcj10Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something...

+7
LaFee
martha
Triciasgarden
Selandra
silverbug
Chopper
chocolatepop
11 posters

Go down

Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Empty Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something...

Post  chocolatepop 6/7/2010, 11:33 pm

Our neighbor hates cutting his own grass, he has it done. There is a privacy fence between our yard and there. I dont really "want" it there but it was there when we bought the house last year. We plant our corn over there and since ripping out three very over grown bushed (that we thought were trees Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Icon_eek ) found a boat load of raspberries and blackberry plants!

i go out yesterday and the plants closest to the fence are dying....why.... cause my neighbor sprayed vegitation killer against the bottom portion of the fence. Thing is, it wasn't like the grass was tall and unruly. We has just weedwacked it!

I just hope nothing else is effected....
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Empty Re: Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something...

Post  Chopper 6/8/2010, 12:07 am

How very frustrating. Grrr is right.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Empty Re: Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something...

Post  silverbug 6/8/2010, 7:31 am

How devestating. Sad I'd be really sad too. What is wrong with people sometimes? I just don't get it.
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  Selandra 6/8/2010, 8:08 am

Shame, neighbors could get along so much better with a little communication. I have 86 acres and my neighbor who only borders like 100ft asked me first if I didn't mind him killing the weeds along the fenceline. I really appreciated it as I'm not a big fan of poisons.
Selandra
Selandra

Female Posts : 123

http://www.asfggardenerstale.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 6/8/2010, 8:40 am

exactly! I mean we are new, but we have talked to this neighbor several times. But this is also the guy who, when we had the fire and there was smoke spilling out the windows, just sat there on the phone Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Icon_rolleyes

It really wouldnt have bothered me to cut better to his "liking" or something, but I've cut a total of 5 canes down and I'm sure more soon Sad
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 6/8/2010, 7:40 pm

Good grief, he owes you some plants. You should definitely mention to him what he did. Although he will probably just sit there and stare at you like he doesn't hear you since he couldn't see or smell the smoke. Jeez.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/8/2010, 8:26 pm

You just can't catch a break so far this summer, can you? I have to believe that you are using up all of your bad luck for a l o n g time. Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... 993580
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 6/9/2010, 1:28 am

Yep, that's the sort you have to spell it out for verrrrry plainly...because they have no comprehension that there's anyone else on the planet, therefore it never enters their mind to consider what their actions might cause for someone else.

It's likely not even intentional...but that doesn't make it any less aggravating!
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  aspiegardner 6/9/2010, 8:23 am

uggh what a neighbor.

On one side of me I had a wonderful neighbor but sadly she passed away last January and in her house by april odd people. They only this april cleaned out the backyard and keep it mowed, thankfully there's a fence so it doesn't go to my yard.

On the other side were horible neighbors they moved out over 3 years ago leaving the house vacant for all those years.

late jan of 09 started seeing this odd guy over there and thought NOT again. Well by March his wife and son had moved in, they were cleaning up the house and the yard. She spent all last summer hand digging out the weeds and planting grass in one third of her yard, planted flowers etc. The yard is really looking nice now.

The little guy plays over here a ton and they have gotten to be good neighbors. We had a yard sale last year together and one planned this weekend. We share tools and plants LOL.

She even watched my critters last dec. when I had to be out of town and she is already counting the days to have them again.

Awesome neighbors rock.
aspiegardner

Back to top Go down

Post  hookilau 6/9/2010, 8:46 am

Our neighbors behind us have Ivy, honeysuckle, bamboo and some type of perennial hardy hibiscus along the fenceline. The Ivy has taken over our garage. Being new homeowners, we had no idea it was tearing up our garage roof....There are now holes in the roof the size of a man's head Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Kopfschuettel

The Ivy is growing up through the chainlink fence and invading our already tiny backyard (we are house rich and yard poor). The Hibiscus is about 15' tall and leaning well over the fence line shading my yard....that crazy bamboo as well.

Pity us, the previous owners were the most hated in the neighborhood. Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Suspect
Our next door neighbors (have lived here for 40 years since the house was built) knew the original owner and let us in on the joke. Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Icon_rolleyes
hookilau

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/9/2010, 11:33 am

invasive bamboo is really nasty stuff. I feel for you.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  lakemom 6/9/2010, 2:38 pm

hookilau wrote:Our neighbors behind us have Ivy, honeysuckle, bamboo and some type of perennial hardy hibiscus along the fenceline. The Ivy has taken over our garage. Being new homeowners, we had no idea it was tearing up our garage roof....There are now holes in the roof the size of a man's head Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Kopfschuettel

The Ivy is growing up through the chainlink fence and invading our already tiny backyard (we are house rich and yard poor). The Hibiscus is about 15' tall and leaning well over the fence line shading my yard....that crazy bamboo as well.

Pity us, the previous owners were the most hated in the neighborhood. Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Suspect
Our next door neighbors (have lived here for 40 years since the house was built) knew the original owner and let us in on the joke. Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Icon_rolleyes

In most areas you have the right to trim anything hanging/growing over back to the property line. Just make sure you know EXACTLY where the line is and don't go over. We trim back our neighbor's trees every time we rent the equipment to clean our own up.

OP...I'd kindly ask the neighbor NOT to spray the fenceline as you have plants growing along there. Our yard borders the county fairgrounds and those guts LOVE weed killer. After having damage several times I went over and talked to them about NOT spraying along my garden (about 25' of a shared 125' fenceline). In the past 3 years they've caused no damage to the garden.
lakemom

Back to top Go down

Post  hookilau 6/9/2010, 3:06 pm

In most areas you have the right to trim anything hanging/growing over
back to the property line. Just make sure you know EXACTLY where the
line is and don't go over.

This is currently as I understand it as well. Unfortunately, the house is a rental and not well manicured. We've trimmed back as much as we could to re-claim as much of our yard as we could but that Ivy is absolutely tenacious. Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Icon_neutral

After the garage gets repaired, and as soon as funds are available, we'll eventually put up one of those warm and fuzzy 6' white PVC privacy fence. Hopefully that will do a better job of defining the line and we can easily trim what flops over. Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Icon_cool
hookilau

Back to top Go down

Post  dmpower 6/9/2010, 7:10 pm

I have a large planting of bamboo on my adjoining property line. I am the owner of the bamboo. I have raised a bed around it so that the roots and off shoots stay closer to the surface and can be spotted quickly. I try to be responsible because I just love the evergreen, flowing bamboo. Every year it gets about 2 feet taller than the last year. I think we are close to 20 feet now. If any of the shoots start to lean, I remove them and use them in my garden.

If a shoot comes up in your yard, mow it down. It may send up another shoot shortly after. This shoot should be less healthy. After a couple of mowings the shoot will not appear again.
After the spring growth spurt, all of the bamboo energy is put into the root system. The shoots will not grow any taller, or any thicker than they are at the end of the spring season - ever. If you cut the shoots appearing in your ground the plant will eventually get too tired to put out more - at least from that root.

An adjoining neighbor likes to trim and plant things on my property so we put up a fence. Last year we lost a large tree and I decided to grow morning glory on the fence to make a temporary cover till another tree got placed. Just before the blossoms started, she - the neighbor had her friends come over and help with the yard work. ALL of the plants were removed from the fence.
I couldn't help myself - I lost control. Boy I wish I hadn't. I rarely talked to her anyway. This year I am planting the morning glories again, and this time I have tagged the fence. I've labeled my plantings and am hoping for the best
dmpower
dmpower

Female Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  hookilau 6/10/2010, 7:39 am

Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Icon_cool Hey! thanks for the advice on the bamboo. Our yard is tiny compared to many of the ones I've seen here, it's only about 25 square feet, if that. We have, to a degree anyway, beaten the wilderness into submission so far but your info is going to come in real handy. Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Icon_wink

It's great your responsible about what you're growing Here in NY it's often a combination of who cares, ignorance or just downright arrogance. Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Icon_scratch In my case, I think it's a combination of neglect and ignorance. Too bad about your Morning Glory though Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Kopfschuettel

One of the reasons SFG interested me was the idea of not having to wrestle the ground back from the takeover going on back there Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Icon_lol Good luck with your new Morning Glories though. Grrrr... vent... my neighbor coulda said something... Icon_cat
hookilau

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum