Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing season TOO long? Toplef10Growing season TOO long? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing season TOO long? I22gcj10Growing season TOO long? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing season TOO long? Toplef10Growing season TOO long? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing season TOO long? I22gcj10Growing season TOO long? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Growing season TOO long?

4 posters

Go down

Growing season TOO long? Empty Growing season TOO long?

Post  elliephant 6/7/2010, 10:33 am

I don't know what to do with my tomatoes! At first I was excited at how early I was getting tomatoes and how beautiful my plants were through the Spring. A few weeks ago I visited family in NC and brought them a huge bowl full of tomatoes.

Then I came back from vacation (had a friend watering) to find that my trellis had broken from the weight and my 2x8 with 6 tomato plants along the back totally overgrown.

I had a 6 foot trellis and most of the plants had reached the top of that a month ago. What do I do with my tomato jungle now?

Next year I will spread them out more (plant early crops in the squares between and then let them lie during the summer), but I'll still have 10 foot vines by the start of summer! Anyone with more experience have words of wisdom for growing tomatoes in an area where the season basically lasts all year (we have a couple of weeks in Jan when it could freeze). It seems like a good thing, but the plants just get SO big and so do the bugs Growing season TOO long? Icon_lol

I grew up in a hot climate, but there it would get so hot (over 105 most days) that the plants would fry and stop producing. We don't usually get out of the 90s here and that is affecting my peppers, but not my tomatoes (my pepper plants are 4-5 feet tall and produce sporadically as we get a cool spell).

This is my first year in the area and my first successful garden, so I'm really scrambling to figure it out. Should I pull up the overgrown tomato plants? Growing season TOO long? Icon_cry Do you think I could start new ones in 90 degree weather?
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Growing season TOO long? Empty Re: Growing season TOO long?

Post  Squat_Johnson 6/7/2010, 11:56 am

Last year on the top of my trellis, I put a horizontal stake connecting it to the next trellis over. So the plant went 6' up and then 6' over. I had to support it and train it a bit with twine, but it worked suprisingly well.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 6/7/2010, 1:00 pm

Squat_Johnson wrote:Last year on the top of my trellis, I put a horizontal stake connecting it to the next trellis over. So the plant went 6' up and then 6' over. I had to support it and train it a bit with twine, but it worked suprisingly well.

this is what I did up 5ft, over 6ft.
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 6/22/2010, 12:22 pm

Well, I ended up pulling out my tomato vines last night. Have a terrible leaf footed bug infestation and wasn't getting any tomatos anyway. Not sure if I can get anything to grow in this heat right now, so I might just have to hold on until September and enjoy a fall/winter garden.

[quote]Once the decision to have a fall garden has been reached, a gardener must take action--drastic action. One must pull out some of those plants that have been nurtured from "babies" in the spring to monsters now. This takes courage and faith! It is recommend that all plants, weeds included, be removed except okra, cherry tomatoes and pole beans if the foliage is healthy. Large-fruited tomatoes may have some small ones still hanging on, but unless you have at least 20-25 good-sized fruit, pull them out--make green tomato relish or chow-chow. If you recall, the largest, best tomatoes you had this spring were the first ones produced. The tomato plant has gotten old, diseased, and damaged by insects; it will never produce an abundance again. Besides, it is too large to be manageable as far as insect and disease populations are concerned. Pull the old plants up and discard them. Give them to the garbage man. Don't try to compost insect and disease-ridden plants--spider mites don't compost! [/quote]

Feeling better after reading this from [url=http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/fallgarden/fallgrowing.html]http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/fallgarden/fallgrowing.html[/url].
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt 6/22/2010, 5:02 pm

I always go through agonies about pulling plants that are still alive but need to make way for next season's starts. One of the worst is pansies. They overwinter here and look stunning in the spring! Just about the time they're at their peak, you have to pull them if you want to get summer annuals established before the really nasty, humid heat sets in. Growing season TOO long? Icon_sad

DH is even worse about it than I am. He always wants to bring stuff inside to keep it alive over the winter. I think we managed that once with a pepper plant, but it died soon after we moved it back outdoors.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down