Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hanging Upside Down Tomato Planter Toplef10Hanging Upside Down Tomato Planter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hanging Upside Down Tomato Planter I22gcj10Hanging Upside Down Tomato Planter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hanging Upside Down Tomato Planter Toplef10Hanging Upside Down Tomato Planter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hanging Upside Down Tomato Planter I22gcj10Hanging Upside Down Tomato Planter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hanging Upside Down Tomato Planter

5 posters

Go down

Hanging Upside Down Tomato Planter Empty Hanging Upside Down Tomato Planter

Post  Mariko 6/6/2010, 1:26 am

Since I move up to Corvallis, OR my garden is not doing well. I am surround by tall trees. 1/2 day sun here and there. I love the area but not for sweet little tomatoes I used grow in Ashland OR. Last year I was so excited to start SFG. I made least 10 boxes. Only thing that looks good now is my strawberries. 2x5. I am going to move the boxes to different area to try again this year with extra holes on bottom of my SFG. I feel pretty gimmicky about this but I am going to try Topsy Upside Down Tomato planter - just one. Then I am going to plant the same kind on 2x2 planter to see.

Did any one seen this planter or try? If you do please let me know. I would love to hear about it.

Thank you.
Mariko

Back to top Go down

Hanging Upside Down Tomato Planter Empty Re: Hanging Upside Down Tomato Planter

Post  Shoda 6/6/2010, 1:50 am

This is my first year trying them too! I had so many tomato plants and not enough room to plant them so I purchased two. They have been planted for a little over a month and the tomatoes are starting to bloom. The plants themselves look healthy and almost as big as the ones in my SFG.

I posted about these "upside down" things previously and got a few good responses. Here is the link to that topic. You might find the information helpful.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/outside-the-box-f40/topsy-turvy-tomatoes-t2286.htm
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mariko 6/6/2010, 2:08 am

Shoda wrote:This is my first year trying them too! I had so many tomato plants and not enough room to plant them so I purchased two. They have been planted for a little over a month and the tomatoes are starting to bloom. The plants themselves look healthy and almost as big as the ones in my SFG.

I posted about these "upside down" things previously and got a few good responses. Here is the link to that topic. You might find the information helpful.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/outside-the-box-f40/topsy-turvy-tomatoes-t2286.htm

Thanks for your reply. One question - I heard the planter gets very heavy. How did you hang yours?
Mariko

Back to top Go down

Post  AliSmith13 6/6/2010, 6:13 pm

I am doing two Topsy Turvy things this year. One for strawberries and one for tomatoes. The strawberry one so far isn't that great. Gotten maybe three teeny tiny strawberries off of it so far. But I think that has to do with it not being very warm here yet. The tomato one seems to be doing ok. The guy at the nursery did tell me when I bought it to get a determinate type of tomato plant, which I did. I actually got the "patio" type that is great for containers. I don't have any experience with regular tomato plants as this is my first year gardening so I don't have anything to compare it to, but again, seems to be doing well. Starting to get some flowers on the plant and the leaves are doing well.

As for pruning the suckers, I thought I had read that pruning them is not only about keeping the plant neat and containable, but also had to do with helping to get bigger fruit. Like the more stems the plant grows, it has to spread its energy and resources further. With pruning, you are keeping that flowing into few stems so the fruits can be bigger and healthier. Is this true? It made sense to me, but maybe that is not correct. I really don't know. Lol. As for me, I've been pruning them...
AliSmith13
AliSmith13

Female Posts : 49

http://aliscouponadventures.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 6/7/2010, 10:19 pm

Right now mine are hanging from a fence. I am watching them and will move them if needed.
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 6/16/2010, 2:46 pm

Thought you might want an update on my upside down tomatoes. So far they look pretty good although they are a lot smaller then those growing in the ground (same varieties, same soil, same pruning). I lost one of my upside down tomatoes on a very windy day... the stem was flapping around in the breeze so much it snapped off.

The upside down tomatoes have flowers and a few green ones. We will see what happens!
Shoda
Shoda

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt 6/16/2010, 3:16 pm

I'm really looking forward to your reviews of these. DH has two tomato plants in a small hanging planter that has a hole in the bottom. One plant grows upright from the top, the other hangs down through the hole. Both plants are pretty small and spindly. I doubt either will do very much because they are sharing a minimal root space. He wanted to try this rather than purchasing a Topsy Turvy, though.

Gardeners who live in locations where rootknot nematodes abound grow tomatoes upside down in 5-gallon buckets that have holes cut in the bottoms. Anyone ever try this using Mel's mix?
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  jeboo 6/16/2010, 4:37 pm

I bought a topsy turvy and used Mels Mix in it and I have had great tomatoes for a over a month. Now that it is super hot I really have to water it ALOT but I love it!
jeboo
jeboo

Female Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down