Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? Toplef10Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? I22gcj10Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? Toplef10Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? I22gcj10Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 8:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 7:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 12:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 4:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 3:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 2:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 12:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 5:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/22/2024, 11:33 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 6:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 4:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 1:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 10:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 10:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 6:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 9:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 3:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 9:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 4:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 9:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 7:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 7:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 5:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 2:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 12:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 6:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 9:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 8:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 3:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots?

5 posters

Go down

Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? Empty Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots?

Post  castoral 6/3/2010, 11:07 am

I planted amish snap peas as well as carrots (I do not remember which kind though as I don't have the packet at work with me right now) on Easter Sunday. The snap peas finally went to pea pods early this week but I'm not sure if they are ready to pick or not. The only ones I've ever had have been from the grocery store, so I'm not sure if they are supposed to get that big or not.

Also, with the carrots, I noticed their "stems" were about a foot tall, so I loosened the soil a bit around them and I can defintly see a good base, but it's only about 1/4" in diameter. I don't remember seeing on the package anywhere how big they should get before digging up.

I'm in zone 5b if it makes a difference....I'm just not sure how to include that in my information. Thanks!
castoral

Female Posts : 34

http://livinglargeonadime.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? Empty Re: Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots?

Post  martha 6/3/2010, 11:13 am

last year my carrots took a long time. This year the tops for me are still really little. But I did find that there would be some noticeable carrot shoulder, and I would pull it to find out it was still pretty little. But it might have been the variety...if you planted enough carrots, I would think pull one every now and then and see what you've got.

Of course, that's my guess, and I know someone here will have suggestions based on greater experience!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? Empty Re: Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots?

Post  castoral 6/5/2010, 6:56 pm

Still debating on if my snap peas are ready to pull or not, but wanted to see if anyone had anymore advice. I pulled one yesterday and ate raw and it tasted good and sweet, and they don't seem to have gotten any bigger since Tuesday. So pull them? And dowe have to harvest them all now or how long will the 'keep' on the vine?

As far as the carrots, I wiggled up one of the biggest ones, yup, not even close. It was about 1.5" long. I told my son it was a baby carrot though and he loved it. Said it was the best one EVER (he's almost 3)!
castoral

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/5/2010, 7:04 pm

I think snap peas taste best when the peas within the pod have matured. I pick when the pod is round and firm and still smooth, before the peas within become so large that they make the pod look rippled. Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? 846142540_5bf1a85b32

My advice, harvest all that are ready. Check daily & keep up with the harvest so the vine will continue to produce. Castoral, please tell me, where are you located?
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  castoral 6/6/2010, 1:47 pm

Sorry, I posted it in the first post, I'm in 5b. I've tried to figure out how to add it in my info, but can't find anything that says how. Sorry!

And thank you for the great advice, I'm headed out now to pop one open now and see how the beans are coming along. Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? Icon_biggrin
castoral

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 6/6/2010, 2:39 pm

castoral wrote:Sorry, I posted it in the first post, I'm in 5b. I've tried to figure out how to add it in my info, but can't find anything that says how. Sorry!

And thank you for the great advice, I'm headed out now to pop one open now and see how the beans are coming along. Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? Icon_biggrin

at the top of the screen there is a tab called profile Smile
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 6/6/2010, 2:51 pm

This was the first time for peas in our SFGs so I wasn't sure when to harvest them, thanks for this post and the help,I got about a gallon bucket full.
My mom is going to fix them using LaFee's Easy Peas-y recipe "Easy Peas-y recipe"
Knowing when to harvest peas and carrots? Peas6-6-10
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum