Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
June...that means warm, doesn't it?  Um...doesn't it? Toplef10June...that means warm, doesn't it?  Um...doesn't it? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

June...that means warm, doesn't it?  Um...doesn't it? I22gcj10June...that means warm, doesn't it?  Um...doesn't it? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
June...that means warm, doesn't it?  Um...doesn't it? Toplef10June...that means warm, doesn't it?  Um...doesn't it? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

June...that means warm, doesn't it?  Um...doesn't it? I22gcj10June...that means warm, doesn't it?  Um...doesn't it? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

June...that means warm, doesn't it? Um...doesn't it?

5 posters

Go down

June...that means warm, doesn't it?  Um...doesn't it? Empty June...that means warm, doesn't it? Um...doesn't it?

Post  LaFee 6/2/2010, 10:05 am

Many of us posted on Mirjam's "Plantlife is officially late" thread this week...

But what about the rest of you? Happily, this month we've added quite a few new members from Europe -- the UK, Ireland, Iceland, added to our existing members in France, Belgium, and the Netherlands, as well as one lucky fellow who gardens in Sweden in the summer and Spain in the winter!

I've already replanted radishes, as the first harvest was outstanding, and my lettuce is refilling as fast as I can make salads. My green beans and corn just came up yesterday, and my peas finally got the clue and are quickly making their way up the supports. My tomatoes are looking strong and healthy...now I'm waiting for the world's slowest carrots to get bigger (I'm hoping for a Christmas harvest at this point)...and anxiously awaiting the appearance of cucumbers, canteloup, and watermelon. I think it's just been too cold for the last three of late. This last chilly spell has driven me crazy.

But the biggest success has to be my potatoes...I planted Charlottes in contractor bags, and I can't keep the bags filled with new layers of soil fast enough to keep up. If the tubers are growing as fast as the plants above ground, I'll have enough taters to last me half the winter! (Oh, I'd be over the moon)

I also finally got my traditional flower bed dug and enriched and planted...and it looks like someone lives here and cares about how the flowers look! (yay me!) Petunias, fuschias, and three colors of nicotiana are showing well against the enormous poppies and peonies that I inherited here. It needs to mature and fill in, but it's looking good...and the nasturtiums are finally sprouting, so they'll fill in even more. That, along with boxes of geraniums in every window, and a few pots to brighten a few corners...I think I'm nearly set for the summer.
June...that means warm, doesn't it?  Um...doesn't it? 582897

How does YOUR Europe garden grow?
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

June...that means warm, doesn't it?  Um...doesn't it? Empty Re: June...that means warm, doesn't it? Um...doesn't it?

Post  Mirjam 6/2/2010, 11:47 am

my peas and sugarsnaps are also doing great in the mels' mix; peas are supposed to grow to a meter, sugarsnaps 80 cm.... both are now about 1.60 m, and still growing strong...

Isn't it fun when the garden is coming together? I replanted my front yard two years ago (after emptying it almost completely), and now finally it's starting to look like a garden instead of "a few plants in an otherwise empty space" Smile

It was my birthday last weekend, and ofcourse I got some plants for presents, but I could hardly find a place to squeeze them in!
Mirjam
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

June...that means warm, doesn't it?  Um...doesn't it? Empty Re: June...that means warm, doesn't it? Um...doesn't it?

Post  jtwenting 6/4/2010, 2:03 am

Things are growing nicely, but the first bits of lettuce I harvested (thinning out the bed, too many seedlings were coming up) tasted very bitter compared to the same lettuce I'd sown last autumn and harvested at a similar age.

Not sure why, maybe the weird weather has caused some change in the chemical composition of the plants?

Things are really exploding into life now, where last week a lot of plants seemed to barely hang on for life, a few mild and moist days followed by the first summer sun has made a big difference.
jtwenting

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 6/4/2010, 2:51 am

My lettuce is more bitter than it was earlier in the season too...I guess it's the warm weather that causes the taste difference.
Mirjam
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  plb 6/4/2010, 9:55 am

Lettuce turns bitter when it's bolting, i.e. when it's starting to go to seed (which happens when the weather gets hot). It can be sometimes delayed by providing the lettuce with lots of water and some shade.
plb

Back to top Go down

Post  jtwenting 6/5/2010, 7:07 am

ah, but it's not flowering...
Maybe the weather changes are causing it to go into bolting mode before flowerstalks develop?
jtwenting

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 6/5/2010, 3:14 pm

It has been unusually warm here so I am a happy bunny all told.
I grew some "stem" broccoli from seed and that is doing very well - I decided to stake each plant today because they seemed a bit top-heavy in the light mix. Is that normal?

The spinach is doing very well too and there are lots of leaves ready for picking. I have 4 squares of potatoes and two are earthed to the top of the box but the other two squares are a bit slower and so not earthed up.

The carrots and parsnips are all up and on their way. And the oinions from sets are looking great. I'm trying bush runner beans and they look rather sad, a flower or two but the leaves are clearly not happy, guess it just isn't warm enough for them.

I still have garden fleece over everything except the potatoes. I was thinking of taking it off but yesterday was really strange - looked like a thick mist but not cold or wet. It was volcanic ash June...that means warm, doesn't it?  Um...doesn't it? Icon_twisted It is a bit ashy today but not so bad. Anyhow, I decided that my little plants did not need a coating of dust so I left the fleece over. The rhubarb certainly doesn't like it and I had to rinse it off today. In fact everything outside is covered by a fine film and it is horrible. If the summer is like this I will go nuts!
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down