Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  Toplef10Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  I22gcj10Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  Toplef10Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  I22gcj10Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest—September 2021
by OhioGardener Today at 11:37 am

» Patio Tomatoes at the Kitchen Door
by MacRadDoc Today at 9:18 am

» Mulch question
by MrBooker Today at 6:37 am

» Fallen Apples
by Kelejan Today at 3:48 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to June 2021
by Kelejan Yesterday at 1:25 pm

» California's Drought
by Kelejan Yesterday at 12:58 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 9/14/2021, 11:28 pm

» Organic Management of Fall Garden Pests
by OhioGardener 9/14/2021, 8:38 am

» My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.
by azonia221 9/13/2021, 9:10 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/12/2021, 11:54 am

» Chick N Poo Compost
by OhioGardener 9/9/2021, 4:59 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by donnainzone5 9/9/2021, 12:41 pm

» Composting information
by Bart 9/9/2021, 11:13 am

» Hi from Lillington, NC
by AtlantaMarie 9/9/2021, 7:11 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/7/2021, 7:19 pm

» What's everyone planting?
by sanderson 9/7/2021, 1:24 pm

» Worm On Tomato?
by sanderson 9/7/2021, 1:21 pm

» Canning Humor
by sanderson 9/6/2021, 11:36 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by sanderson 9/6/2021, 11:35 pm

» Hi from an SFG beginner from Nashville, TN
by sanderson 9/6/2021, 10:55 pm

» Tomato - Snow Fairy
by markqz 9/6/2021, 6:23 pm

» Soil Building - For Better Fruit Production
by sanderson 9/6/2021, 4:33 pm

» OhioGardener SFG
by mollyhespra 9/6/2021, 1:19 pm

» Create Your Own Named Hybrid Tomato
by OhioGardener 9/3/2021, 8:10 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson 9/2/2021, 6:56 pm

» Soil Additives
by sanderson 8/31/2021, 3:20 am

» Hurrican Ida
by sanderson 8/30/2021, 5:14 pm

» Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate?
by sanderson 8/30/2021, 5:11 pm

» Walking stick kale
by sanderson 8/30/2021, 4:56 pm

» Figuring out times around the world
by Chuck d'Argy 8/29/2021, 1:15 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Total Nubie here looking to take up advice

5 posters

Go down

Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  Empty Total Nubie here looking to take up advice

Post  Philly_Nubie 6/17/2021, 10:10 pm

Hi, my name is Terry. I recently built an SIP raised bed garden, 3'x9'x16", in my backyard because all that sunlight needed to do something besides make the grass grow(there is an old Army line I was gonna use but I'm new here, and my humor is not like that of non-veterans,  so I'm still feeling things out)
I am currently experiencing spaghetti squash and attempting to thwart its desire to overrun my first grow space, which is what lead me here.
I have a few different tomato plants, melon, pepper, fennel, eggplant and herbs going.
I'm excited to take in all the nutrients(knowledge) that this forum has to offer and hope to be able to give back as I am able.
Philly_Nubie
Philly_Nubie

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  Empty Re: Total Nubie here looking to take up advice

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/18/2021, 7:37 am

Hi Terry.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA from an old Army wife.  ;-)  Glad you're here.  Lots of great info in the archives.  Pictures always help us help you.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5503

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  Empty Re: Total Nubie here looking to take up advice

Post  markqz 6/18/2021, 11:20 am

Welcome Terry!

In Square Foot Gardening, one of the solutions to sprawling squash and limited yard space is to grow upwards, usually using a trellis behind the rest of the box. Plans and suggestions can be found in the book All New Square Foot Gardening, 3rd Edition.

One of the advantages of a trellis, at least in my "shoebox" yard, is that the leaves can pick up the sun's rays a little bit earlier.

Some gardeners have even grown pumpkins on extra sturdy trellises!

Last year I put a trellis net at the north part of one my SFG's and connected it to a nearby wall. Then I grew spaghetti squash and directed it along the netting. The netting was a little wimpy so I had to add slings for the maturing fruit.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Philly_Nubie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/18/2021, 3:17 pm

Here is an example of a icebox watermelon on a trellis
Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  Waterm11
Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  Waterm10
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4058

Back to top Go down

Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  Empty Do tou have product info on that trellis?

Post  Philly_Nubie 6/18/2021, 5:48 pm

@yolos wrote:Here is an example of a icebox watermelon on a trellis
Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  Waterm11
Total Nubie here looking to take up advice  Waterm10
Philly_Nubie
Philly_Nubie

Back to top Go down

Post  Philly_Nubie 6/18/2021, 6:22 pm

This is my first "veggie" grow & first in my own home. You may see I split some tomatoe trellises my neighbor gave me but that one for the melons looks be a thicker gauge, support more weight. Do you have any product info for that trellis?
I saw my first squash blooming when I finished my home project for the day. It makes my feel pride that they are doing well.
I'm running an SIP system that I saw on YouTube from a fellow Pennsylvanian runs on his garden. It is a soiless mixture composed of coco coir, perlite, vermiculite. It is topped with an organic soilless potting soil that contains castings. The plant seem to love it and I added water when I transplanted early last month. I will preface that with we had a sold day of rain two weeks ago.
As I learn more I plan on building two more set up to expand my selection of home grown foods.
Happy gardening everyone
Philly_Nubie
Philly_Nubie

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/19/2021, 10:53 am

@Philly_Nubie wrote:This is my first "veggie" grow & first in my own home. You may see I split some tomatoe trellises my neighbor gave me but that one for the melons looks be a thicker gauge, support more weight. Do you have any product info for that trellis?
I saw my first squash blooming when I finished my home project for the day. It makes my feel pride that they are doing well.
I'm running an SIP system that I saw on YouTube from a fellow Pennsylvanian runs on his garden. It is a soiless mixture composed of coco coir, perlite, vermiculite. It is topped with an organic soilless potting soil that contains castings. The plant seem to love it and I added water when I transplanted early last month. I will preface that with we had a sold day of rain two weeks ago.
As I learn more I plan on building two more set up to expand my selection of home grown foods.
Happy gardening everyone
My trellis was made from a Tractor Supply Handy Panel.  I cut so the width would fit inside my bed.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/handy%20panel?
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4058

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/20/2021, 1:18 am

@Philly_Nubie wrote:
Happy gardening everyone
In SFG, we use a 6-7" soilless growing medium made with 1/3 coarse vermiculite, 1/3 fluffed peat moss, and 1/3 blended REAL composts. When it's time to replant, we just add more blended composts. I'm assuming that the SIP system mixture is the bottom fill.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19627

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Philly_Nubie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/20/2021, 1:21 am

Philly, For trellises, there is an example of an EMT trellis frame with nylon trellis netting. The netting, that can be bought at most garden centers, is surprisingly strong and will support winter squash, cantaloupe, smaller watermelons, any fruit less than 10 lbs.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19627

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Philly_Nubie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Philly_Nubie 6/20/2021, 2:03 am

I believe so. The bottom is lined with a pond liner and perforated drainage tubes to create an air space and allows the water to be wicked up to the plants root zone. Albo Pepper, on YouTube, is who I based the build after. I went with metal siding and wood I already had from another project to lessen the cost. After the deer ate most of the maters I added the netting and hoops based off what another YouTuber had done for his Food Forest,
Philly_Nubie
Philly_Nubie

Back to top Go down

Post  Philly_Nubie 6/20/2021, 6:51 pm

First spaghetti squash is starting and many flowers are popping up. Eggplant, cantaloupe, zucchini & tomatillos
Philly_Nubie
Philly_Nubie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum