Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? Toplef10First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? I22gcj10First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? Toplef10First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? I22gcj10First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis?

4 posters

Go down

Two tomato plants or one?

First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? I_vote_lcap100%First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? I_vote_rcap 100% 
[ 4 ]
First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? I_vote_lcap0%First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 4

First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? Empty First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis?

Post  cholyk 3/16/2021, 9:26 pm

Hi all, I have a trellis on the north side but it's only about 4 feet tall. I'm a little worried that the beans and sugar snap peas will grow too tall and I'm not sure if I'll have room along the trellis for two tomato plants as well as sugar snap peas and beans? Here are my two potential layouts. What do you think? Two tomato plants or just one? I'd really appreciate any advice.
First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? Garden10
First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? Garden11
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? Empty Re: First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis?

Post  sanderson 3/16/2021, 10:40 pm

Sugar Snap Peas will outgrow the a 4' trellis. So will an indeterminate tomato.

My recommendations would be to build a taller trellis that will handle SS peas, pole beans, and an indeterminate tomato trained to just the main stem. Potatoes can be grown in a 5-gallon bucket if determinate or a larger container if they are the hilling indeterminate type.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? Empty Re: First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis?

Post  OhioGardener 3/17/2021, 8:31 am

sanderson wrote:Sugar Snap Peas will outgrow the a 4' trellis.  So will an indeterminate tomato.

So true! So do pole beans.  The arbor between my raised beds is 6' tall, and the Blue Lake Pole Beans went all the way up the side, over the top, and down the other side. The Indeterminate Tomato (a Rutgers) went all the way up the side, and across the top of the arbor.

First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? Arbor_16

First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? Arbor_17

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4469

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson, CarolynBG and cholyk like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/17/2021, 4:29 pm

A photo is worth a thousand words.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  cholyk 3/18/2021, 8:01 pm

Oh wow. Rolling Eyes Ok. So is there any way to limit the growth of the pole beans and sugar snap peas? I know you can pinch off the tomatoes when they have the desired number of trusses (4-5, I've read) but can you do that with beans and peas? If they grow too much, I won't be able to find all the pods and then they'll stop growing right? Especially since they're beside the fence. (Seriously, all theoretical from my readings as I've never tried to grow anything!!) I will definitely try to make the trellis taller too.
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/18/2021, 8:15 pm

cholyk wrote:Oh wow. Rolling Eyes Ok. So is there any way to limit the growth of the pole beans and sugar snap peas? I know you can pinch off the tomatoes when they have the desired number of trusses (4-5, I've read) but can you do that with beans and peas? If they grow too much, I won't be able to find all the pods and then they'll stop growing right? Especially since they're beside the fence. (Seriously, all theoretical from my readings as I've never tried to grow anything!!) I will definitely try to make the trellis taller too.

I'll reply with this quote from the Gardening Know How site, since I couldn't have said it any better:

"In the case of pole beans, does pinching pole beans’ foliage back result in a greater harvest or does it result in stunting pole bean growth? Certainly if aggressively cutting back or pinching the pole beans, you’ll indeed temporarily stunt the pole bean growth. However, given the nature of the plant, this is generally short lived. Healthy pole beans are prolific growers and reach for the sun rapidly, so will just continue to do so regardless. Pole bean pinching for the purpose of stunting pole bean growth is generally an exercise in futility."

From,https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/beans/pole-bean-pinching.htm

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

cholyk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/19/2021, 2:20 am

Cholyk,  I would recommend that you replace the 2 vertical poles with 10' EMT.  That will give you an 8' trellis from the top of your table top bed.  Tie it loosely to the bottom of the bed legs and strap it to the back seating edge with 2-wing fasteners of EMT. First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? Trelli20

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  cholyk 3/19/2021, 10:10 am

Thanks Sanderson, I'll do that. I'll need a ladder to pick them though since they'll be 12 feet high at that point!
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/19/2021, 1:49 pm

cholyk wrote:Thanks Sanderson, I'll do that. I'll need a ladder to pick them though since they'll be 12 feet high at that point!

Some of use have to do that when the tomatoes get 8' tall.  Ha!

First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? Tomato54

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

cholyk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  cholyk 3/19/2021, 6:20 pm

Looks amazing! I'm just ordering my seedlings now. Do you think it's safe to order the exact number I need? Or should I order more in case the transplanting doesn't go well? I don't want to waste but I don't want to be left with no plants when everything is sold out May 24 weekend.
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/19/2021, 9:24 pm

This picture was taken in June.  I still had at least 2-1/2 months left in the growing season.  They were 8 feet tall at this time and they were growing in large buckets.  Planted in the ground they get even larger.  I could not find a picture of me picking tomatoes from a ladder.  But I also enclosed a picture of me picking some Rattlesnake Pole Beans.
First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? Tomato53

This is probably my favorite garden picture of all time.  The picture was also taken in late June.  I still had 2-1/2 months left of growing season.  Rattlesnake Pole Beans.  This was an 8 foot trellis.  The beans just tangled up at the top of the trellis.
First SFG - How much can fit on a 4ft x 5ft trellis? Rattle14
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/24/2021, 9:39 am

cholyk wrote:Thanks Sanderson, I'll do that. I'll need a ladder to pick them though since they'll be 12 feet high at that point!
I meant for you to set the end of the poles on the ground. The remain 8' will be above the rim of the bed.

You can also pound a piece of 3/8" rebar into the ground and slip the EMT over it. Then strap the 2 poles to the edge of the "seat" of your bed.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down