Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question Toplef10The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question I22gcj10The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question Toplef10The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question I22gcj10The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Patio Tomatoes at the Kitchen Door
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» Help identify seeds
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:59 pm

» N&C Midwest—September 2021
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 11:37 am

» Mulch question
by MrBooker Yesterday at 6:37 am

» Fallen Apples
by Kelejan Yesterday at 3:48 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing January to June 2021
by Kelejan 9/15/2021, 1:25 pm

» California's Drought
by Kelejan 9/15/2021, 12:58 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 9/14/2021, 11:28 pm

» Organic Management of Fall Garden Pests
by OhioGardener 9/14/2021, 8:38 am

» My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.
by azonia221 9/13/2021, 9:10 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/12/2021, 11:54 am

» Chick N Poo Compost
by OhioGardener 9/9/2021, 4:59 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by donnainzone5 9/9/2021, 12:41 pm

» Composting information
by Bart 9/9/2021, 11:13 am

» Hi from Lillington, NC
by AtlantaMarie 9/9/2021, 7:11 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/7/2021, 7:19 pm

» What's everyone planting?
by sanderson 9/7/2021, 1:24 pm

» Worm On Tomato?
by sanderson 9/7/2021, 1:21 pm

» Canning Humor
by sanderson 9/6/2021, 11:36 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by sanderson 9/6/2021, 11:35 pm

» Hi from an SFG beginner from Nashville, TN
by sanderson 9/6/2021, 10:55 pm

» Tomato - Snow Fairy
by markqz 9/6/2021, 6:23 pm

» Soil Building - For Better Fruit Production
by sanderson 9/6/2021, 4:33 pm

» OhioGardener SFG
by mollyhespra 9/6/2021, 1:19 pm

» Create Your Own Named Hybrid Tomato
by OhioGardener 9/3/2021, 8:10 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson 9/2/2021, 6:56 pm

» Soil Additives
by sanderson 8/31/2021, 3:20 am

» Hurrican Ida
by sanderson 8/30/2021, 5:14 pm

» Butterfly/Pollinator Havens - Which plants are your favorite to cultivate?
by sanderson 8/30/2021, 5:11 pm

» Walking stick kale
by sanderson 8/30/2021, 4:56 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question

2 posters

Go down

The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question Empty The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question

Post  has55 3/7/2021, 11:29 am

This video was impressive. The Mittleider garden system is similar to SFG, but instead of 4ft x 4 ft square foot boxes, they use 2ft wide squares boxes to desired length. The also use sand and sawdust, where the new SFG uses mixed compost supplies and the old SFG uses the existing soil plus compost.
I would like to know has anyone use their fertilizing formula for additional nutrient support?

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question Empty Re: The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question

Post  OhioGardener 3/7/2021, 12:18 pm

I had learned of the Mittleider Gardening Method many years ago, when I was actively teaching courses on Organic Gardening, and largely discounted it. If one builds good garden soil, the fertilizer regimen recommended by this program is unnecessary.  Good quality compost will build good soil with an active Living Soil Food Web which will supply all of the nutrients necessary to grow healthy plants. Likewise, the "magic" micro-nutrients they sold were unnecessary in living soil food web soil. I like to mimic nature as much as possible, and these types of programs have no nature attributes in them. But, that is just my 2 cents worth, with change....

Never plant without a bucket of compost at your side.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question Empty Re: The SFG journey-The Mittleider System, the nutrient question

Post  has55 3/7/2021, 8:41 pm

OG, Thank you for your comment. we gardener are always experimenting. 
Robert of garden myth had some great stuff to say about what really going on with what we call finish compost. explaining the compost is still breaking down for one to 5 year as a slow fertilizer of living organism. This is why Mr. Johnson said my bioreactor need to mature for a year before using. 
also when I posted my  6 month soil web report which showed I still had lots of material available to feed the microbes, but biology was healthy and in abundance. we do things in our garden that is laborious and less laborious, but don't mention it till someone asked. I'm about organics and that why I'm doing the dirt doctor organic certification program organic certification program, but want to see if one or some  of our members has been working a combination of both practices and what is their results. 
 esp since I went back to the old SFG system, which decrease my cost and labor time significantly for the 15 garden beds with three more 20 footers on their way. 
This is no different of me asking if anyone uses refrigerator for SFG beds but don't talk about it. I would like to hear out of the box thinking, It refreshing and liberating. The group has been fantastic at giving great ideas. Thanks again.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum