Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
question about nursery vegetable pots Toplef10question about nursery vegetable pots 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

question about nursery vegetable pots I22gcj10question about nursery vegetable pots 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
question about nursery vegetable pots Toplef10question about nursery vegetable pots 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

question about nursery vegetable pots I22gcj10question about nursery vegetable pots 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

question about nursery vegetable pots

+2
AtlantaMarie
stevenfstein
6 posters

Go down

question about nursery vegetable pots Empty question about nursery vegetable pots

Post  stevenfstein 12/6/2020, 2:42 pm

Good afternoon. My first year coming up with SFG and I have a question of succession planting. Might try some seeds, never done that before, but I usually buy already started vegetable plants in those small black plastic containers. My problem is that planting say 16 or something all ripen at the same time. Would like to plant some than a week or so later plant some more and so on. Problem is that when you go back to the nursery to buy more plants they are out of stock. Is there a way of buying all of the vegetables at one time and only transplanting x amount of them each week? How long can you keep the remaining plants in the containers and how would I care for them.

Much appreciated..... Steve
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

Back to top Go down

question about nursery vegetable pots Empty Re: question about nursery vegetable pots

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/7/2020, 6:43 am

Yeah... That's the problem with plants from the store. They're all started together so they can be sold together. Which means even if you're not transplanting them at the same time, they're still maturing at the same time. Doesn't matter if they're in the pot from the store or your garden....

Succession gardening is successful if you're starting SEEDS a couple of weeks later. Or, as you've found, going back to the store to see if you can get more plants. But the question is still there on what date were they planted vs. your plants already in the ground.

An option would be to start seeds when you purchase/transplant plants from the store. You're going to be about a month or so behind the plants you purchase, but it would give you the succession plantings.

Sorry. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear.... And I'm sure others will chime in with other advice as well.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

question about nursery vegetable pots Empty Re: question about nursery vegetable pots

Post  stevenfstein 12/7/2020, 10:12 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Yeah...  That's the problem with plants from the store.  They're all started together so they can be sold together.  Which means even if you're not transplanting them at the same time, they're still maturing at the same time.  Doesn't matter if they're in the pot from the store or your garden....

Succession gardening is successful if you're starting SEEDS a couple of weeks later.  Or, as you've found, going back to the store to see if you can get more plants.  But the question is still there on what date were they planted vs. your plants already in the ground.

An option would be to start seeds when you purchase/transplant plants from the store.  You're going to be about a month or so behind the plants you purchase, but it would give you the succession plantings.

Sorry.  I'm sure that's not what you want to hear....  And I'm sure others will chime in with other advice as well.

Makes perfect sense and I appreciate the feedback. Guess I'll try a few seeds this year and see how they go. I know there are a ton of seed companies out there, top two or three to order from?
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 12/7/2020, 12:35 pm

stevenfstein wrote:Good afternoon. My first year coming up with SFG and I have a question of succession planting. Might try some seeds, never done that before, but I usually buy already started vegetable plants in those small black plastic containers. My problem is that planting say 16 or something all ripen at the same time. Would like to plant some than a week or so later plant some more and so on. Problem is that when you go back to the nursery to buy more plants they are out of stock. Is there a way of buying all of the vegetables at one time and only transplanting x amount of them each week? How long can you keep the remaining plants in the containers and how would I care for them.

My experience with plants I've started in my own pots is that they suppress their growing until they are transplanted. A video I saw (think it was PBS) explained that plants' brains (to the extent they have any) are in their roots. Their roots seem to be able to detect the edges of the container, and restrict their growth accordingly. You couldn't keep plants in pots indefinitely, but I suspect that you could easily delay planting by a week (keep watering them in the meanwhile.)
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

stevenfstein likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/8/2020, 6:04 am

I personally like Baker Creek. Southern Seed Exchange is another good one. Johnny's....

Anyone else have a favorite?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Petere likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/8/2020, 7:35 am

markqz wrote: A video I saw (think it was PBS) explained that plants' brains (to the extent they have any) are in their roots. Their roots seem to be able to detect the edges of the container, and restrict their growth accordingly. You couldn't keep plants in pots indefinitely, but I suspect that you could easily delay planting by a week (keep watering them in the meanwhile.)

Mark, it is not so much the "brain" of the plant that tells it to quit growing as it the fact that the plant becomes root bound and stops growing as a self-defense mechanism. I have found, though, that plants which become root bound remain stunted for a long time after they are transplanted.  I don't buy nursery plants, but grow all of my own from seed. So, I could easily start seedlings on staggered dates to provide succession planting. None of the plants I transplant need succession planting, though, so that is not an issue with me. I do succession planting with direct-sow seeds such as lettuce, radish, beans, etc., though.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4469

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  stevenfstein 12/8/2020, 10:20 am

For those of you who start your seeds indoors, what method are you using. Was looking at Park's original bio dome see-starting system. Seemed self contained and easy. Neat and tidy are the buzzwords from  my wife. Would probably also need a gro light. Suggestions?

Thanks... Steve
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 12/8/2020, 12:18 pm

OhioGardener wrote: I do succession planting with direct-sow seeds such as lettuce, radish, beans, etc., though.

I pretty much have to use starting pots, or at least get a head start in vermiculite starter. The bugs never get frozen off here, and will gobble up most things before they're even an inch high. Once the plants get bigger, they stand a chance of surviving. I also like Mel's way of saving seeds by starting plants separately, to minimize seed use. The remaining seeds go back in the fridge.

Plants kept in the pots too long do get stunted. But there's a fairly long time before that happens if you use a 3" pot. I was using 1" inch pots (because they're cheaper!) but found it was counter-productive. One inch pots dry out really easily. Now I'm trying 3" pots, and growing 2 plants in one pot, which gets split at transplant time. This seems to work with Kohlrabi.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/8/2020, 3:02 pm

stevenfstein wrote:For those of you who start your seeds indoors, what method are you using. Was looking at Park's original bio dome see-starting system. Seemed self contained and easy. Neat and tidy are the buzzwords from  my wife. Would probably also need a gro light. Suggestions?

Thanks... Steve

Hi, Steve!  I start the seeds in my homemade seed starter mix (compost, vermiculite, and worm castings) in Cow Pots. I like the Cow Pots for several reasons - they are fully compotable in the soil after transplanting; they allow roots to grow through the pot if the plant gets too big; and, the decomposing pot feeds the plant after it is transplanted. (You can check out Cow Pots Here: https://www.freundsfarmmarket.com/store/

I use the heavy duty seed starting trays and clear dome covers that I purchase on-line from  Bootstrap Farmer. They are a little more expensive than what you will find in the big box stores, but they are very durable and last for many, many years and if they do crack or leak, the company will replace them.

I grow the seedlings on a rack I made that holds LED grow lights and has heat mats on the shelves under the trays if needed.  I have the lights set up on a timer for 16 hours a day.  Here is my shelf setup.

question about nursery vegetable pots Tray_o11

question about nursery vegetable pots Trays13

question about nursery vegetable pots Seedli12

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4469

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  stevenfstein 12/8/2020, 3:46 pm

wow, that is an amazing setup. Definitely not ready for that yet very impressive. Hoping I will be able to do a scaled down version to start. 

Much appreciated.... Steve
stevenfstein
stevenfstein

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/8/2020, 9:14 pm

stevenfstein wrote:For those of you who start your seeds indoors, what method are you using. Was looking at Park's original bio dome see-starting system. Seemed self contained and easy. Neat and tidy are the buzzwords from  my wife. Would probably also need a gro light. Suggestions?

Thanks... Steve
When I first started growing from seeds, I did use the Park's bio dome seed starting system.  But after I did it a year or two.  It some times gets complicated when you grow more than 1 type of vegetable in a tray.  Usually the veggies do not all grow at the same rate and you may need to take some off heat mat earlier than others or raise the lights over plants that are growing at different rates.  I switched to 2 or 3 inch small plastic single pots and put the pots in hard plastic trays from Bootstrap Farmer (see Ohio Gardener post).  I also use the 9 or 6 or 4 cell trays that small starter plants come in from nursery.  I fill these with seed starter mix (I like burpee seed starting mix but have also used Jiffy.)
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  deansdad1 12/13/2020, 9:05 pm

stevenfstein wrote:Good afternoon. My first year coming up with SFG and I have a question of succession planting. Might try some seeds, never done that before, but I usually buy already started vegetable plants in those small black plastic containers. My problem is that planting say 16 or something all ripen at the same time. Would like to plant some than a week or so later plant some more and so on. Problem is that when you go back to the nursery to buy more plants they are out of stock. Is there a way of buying all of the vegetables at one time and only transplanting x amount of them each week? How long can you keep the remaining plants in the containers and how would I care for them.

Steve
We have done the seed starter indoor thing a number of times over the years using rack and tray method described above. Works fine and you can start small (couple of trays, one relatively cheap LED 5k tube light and either a cheap rack system and timer) Lots of good info both here and on YT.
This year for the first time we tried hydroponics and fell in love with the simplicity, and especially the cost involved and also the various methods and alternative ways to incorporate it.
Be it starting by germinating seeds on paper towels and then transplanting to soil/trays or going start to finish soil less.
Again YT is your friend here - literally 1000's of videos will get you started
deansdad1
deansdad1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum