Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles Toplef10In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles I22gcj10In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles Toplef10In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles I22gcj10In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles

5 posters

Go down

In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles Empty In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles

Post  csantamaria 7/9/2020, 12:08 pm

Need help with Japanese beetles
csantamaria

Back to top Go down

In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles Empty Re: In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles

Post  OhioGardener 7/9/2020, 2:30 pm

I use a small plastic bucket, like a ice cream bucket, put a couple inches of water in it and add a few drops of dish soap, and then hold the bucket under the leaves with the beetle(s) on them, and knock the beetles into the water. They die instantly because of the soap. I go out every evening around 5:30 or 6:00 as the beetles are settling in for the night, and collect the beetles as they land.  I have trap plants near all of the gardens to attract the Japanese Beetles - Evening Primrose are the best trap plants, and Zinnias are the next best. The beetles will collect on the trap plants, which makes it easy to collect them and they leave the gardens alone.

This year, though, we have not yet seen any Japanese Beetles.  Might be because I applied GrubGONE to the entire lawn and gardens last fall, but not sure.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles Empty Re: In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles

Post  csantamaria 7/9/2020, 5:40 pm

Explains why they love my zinnias! I go out several times a day and squish them or drop them in a jar as you suggested. They are slowing down!
csantamaria

Back to top Go down

In addition to picking them off, how to get rid of Japanese beetles Empty I agree about Japanese Beetles

Post  AuntieBeth 7/9/2020, 6:58 pm

Just finding their favorite plant and then going out in the morning or evening (When they're not as likely to fly off when they see me coming near) and tapping the leaf they're on over a cup of water.  Then I feed them to the chickens and ducks.  I don't prefer to squish them myself but when I'm out without my water cup I resort to it.  I always find them on the Rose of Sharons first, then the Muscadines and blackberries.  If I catch them there first I don't worry about them getting other stuff I'd like to eat instead of them.
AuntieBeth
AuntieBeth

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/16/2020, 7:49 am

Hi AuntieBeth & CSantaMaria. Welcome from Atlanta, GA. We get lots of them...

One recommendation I've heard is to give traps to your neighbors as "gifts". Then the beetles are attracted to their yards rather than yours... Dunno if it actually works. And, of course, dunno how "ethical" it would be, lol. But it's a thought!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  csantamaria 7/16/2020, 8:19 am

Good idea! Apparently the cycle is just about over. I hardly see any, and I check a few times each day. Thanks!
csantamaria

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 7/17/2020, 10:52 am

We are having a plethora of emerging turf grubs this year here in Ct., Japanese, Asiatic Garden, Oriental beetles and the Green June Bugs which are also beetles. I use 5 gallon buckets with water in them to trap the beetles, especially Asiatic Garden and Oriental beetles because they are nocturnal and you can get an assessment to the numbers. Easiest control is when they are grubs in the turf where they do considerable damage on the roots. I believe they all have just one generation a year but spend more time in turf as larvae and grubs. We have been in a minor drought even though the western portion is only down a 1/2". We in the center are down over 6", even in a very small state weather patterns can make a big difference
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  csantamaria 7/17/2020, 10:57 am

Tell me more about the grubs. How to identify, when to find them. I know I can Google this info. I live south of Richmond VA.
csantamaria

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 7/17/2020, 11:37 am

csantamaria, Here are two links, no three links but never overlook the Extension Service of your own state. The first step is always identification, then the when and how to control.

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/ent/ent10/ent10.pdf

https://ag.umass.edu/vegetable/fact-sheets/scarab-beetle-japanese-oriental-asiatic-garden-beetles

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/handle/1813/43856/grubs-in-lawn-bro-NYSIPM.pdf?sequence=1
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  csantamaria 7/17/2020, 1:50 pm

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm going to check those out.
csantamaria

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down