Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks Toplef10Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks I22gcj10Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Rogue strawberries
by plantoid Yesterday at 11:40 pm

» Th SFG Journey- Plants and pathogen
by has55 Yesterday at 10:50 pm

» The SFG Journey- agriculture seminar in Organic growing.
by has55 Yesterday at 10:42 pm

» The SFG Journey- The Good, the Bad & the Bugly - Malcolm Beck
by has55 Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» THE LIFE OF MALCOLM BECK-a Texan ahead of his time in organic farming and gardening
by has55 Yesterday at 10:19 pm

» Organic Certification course with free course to give to a friend
by has55 Yesterday at 10:06 pm

» SFG Journey: Memorial Day
by has55 Yesterday at 9:48 pm

» Squash bugs
by Luke Allen Yesterday at 6:54 pm

» A Louisiana hello
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:31 pm

» Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by plantoid Yesterday at 3:18 pm

» Eddie Willers 1st rookie mistake, what to do?
by yolos Yesterday at 12:30 pm

» Saving Kale Seeds
by markqz 5/28/2020, 11:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Emily49 5/28/2020, 8:32 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by plantoid 5/28/2020, 1:37 pm

» N&C Midwest: May 2020
by Scorpio Rising 5/28/2020, 10:24 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020
by Kelejan 5/28/2020, 8:58 am

» Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!!
by Kelejan 5/28/2020, 8:53 am

» Hello from Tavistock, Ontario, Canada
by lvanderb 5/28/2020, 6:47 am

» 2020 Bunny Gardening
by Scorpio Rising 5/27/2020, 6:35 pm

» Cannellini Beans
by sanderson 5/27/2020, 3:01 pm

» New from Rancho Cucamonga, CA
by Tcwilson99 5/27/2020, 1:33 pm

» Mail order tomato plants
by Scorpio Rising 5/26/2020, 5:50 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/26/2020, 5:19 pm

» what do you put in the compost that other may not of thought of?
by Jazzlover 5/26/2020, 2:08 am

» Can you continuously add material to a pile that is composting?
by mollyhespra 5/25/2020, 10:08 pm

» Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.
by mollyhespra 5/25/2020, 9:30 pm

» New England, May 2020
by Scorpio Rising 5/25/2020, 9:26 pm

» Just about got enough seeds sown & seedlings transplanted
by Scorpio Rising 5/25/2020, 9:22 pm

» Sprouting - 95% success
by Emily49 5/25/2020, 2:39 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks

Go down

Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks Empty Cleaning and whitewashing of fruit tree trunks

Post  Kay Burton on 3/26/2020, 9:19 am

I clean bark in September only on old trees. Young fruit ones do not need this procedure. I want to note that the bark peels off more easily after a long rain - it swells and becomes malleable.
I spread a dense sheet of tarpaulin under the tree. You can use other materials - wrap, roofing, burlap. It is necessary to ensure a good fit of the panel to the trunk without gaps. Moreover, the radius of the coating should be a meter and a half from the barrel. I use a special plastic scraper for cleaning. A metal spatula or wire brush for metal is also suitable for this purpose. I tear off the bark from top to bottom in small sections. In the process, you need to carefully monitor so that the living layer is not damaged, otherwise the tree will hurt. After all the old bark is removed, I collect the cleanings from the litter and burn them.
The main goal of whitewashing trunks is to protect trees from frost and sunburn, as well as prevention against wintering pests and pores of fungi.
Most likely is the occurrence of frost pits from January to the end of March. The temperature difference at night and day during this period can be up to 10 degrees. As a result, cracks appear in the cortex. At first they are small, but expand and deepen very quickly. Over time, the bark dies and exfoliates. If the trunk is hit by frost holes in a ring or over a large area, there is a high risk of infection of the tree with black cancer. In this case, the tree withers and dies over time. On the sunny and shadow side of the trunk in the early spring, temperature differences also have a large range (up to 15 degrees). As a result of this, untreated trunks and branches often cause sunburn. Young and weakened trees in the garden are most prone to burns. To protect trees from frost, I spend whitewashing trunks in the fall - in October-November. I’ll orient myself on the weather - I need to be in time before the onset of steady frost. If the trees are whitened too early (in September), the entire protective layer will be washed away by autumn rains. In late February or early March, I update the whitewash so that it serves as a reliable protection against the bright spring sun. With the first heat, harmful insects wintering on the trunk begin to wake up - a layer of whitewashing will help to cope with them.
Kay Burton
Kay Burton

Male Posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum