Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mulch - Bedding Straw Toplef10Mulch - Bedding Straw 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mulch - Bedding Straw I22gcj10Mulch - Bedding Straw 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mulch - Bedding Straw Toplef10Mulch - Bedding Straw 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mulch - Bedding Straw I22gcj10Mulch - Bedding Straw 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from a haggard mom
by MamaV Today at 10:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by sanderson Today at 3:12 am

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:58 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:40 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 2/29/2024, 12:07 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

» Calling all juice bar waste composters...
by KiwiSFGnewbie 2/27/2024, 5:21 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 2/27/2024, 10:00 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 2/27/2024, 9:59 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by sanderson 2/26/2024, 10:53 pm

» Hello From the Kern River Valley from Kernville, Ca
by sanderson 2/26/2024, 9:52 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 2/25/2024, 1:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 2/25/2024, 1:26 am

» Prefab compost question
by DMann 2/24/2024, 12:37 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 2/24/2024, 7:44 am

» Hello from Surrey
by sanderson 2/23/2024, 12:29 am

» Kitty Control
by sanderson 2/22/2024, 10:49 pm

» Western Mount/High Plains: Seed Planting Dates
by Turan 2/22/2024, 4:07 pm

» Jjean59 first SFG - 2024
by Scorpio Rising 2/22/2024, 11:00 am

» Winter Lag - Waiting for Sprimg
by sanderson 2/21/2024, 4:36 pm

» TDs 2024 SFG
by Turan 2/21/2024, 12:09 am

» Hello! From GA! Newbie
by sanderson 2/20/2024, 9:53 pm

» Sweet Potato Slips - Buy or Grow?
by sanderson 2/20/2024, 1:27 pm

» Seeds 'n Such Free Shipping
by sanderson 2/20/2024, 1:09 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 2/19/2024, 5:46 pm

» Hi from Central Oregon
by donnainzone5 2/18/2024, 5:50 pm

» Mealybugs?
by OhioGardener 2/17/2024, 11:02 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mulch - Bedding Straw

3 posters

Go down

Mulch - Bedding Straw Empty Mulch - Bedding Straw

Post  sanderson 6/15/2019, 9:09 pm

Chopping mulch! I work left to right with the prevailing wind: bagged quarter of straw bale, large cement pan, paper cutter, chopped straw in smaller cement pan, and into rolling 33-gallon garbage can.  I can then roll it around to mulch the beds. Mulch - Bedding Straw Mulch_11

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21466
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 75
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Mulch - Bedding Straw Empty Re: Mulch - Bedding Straw

Post  MrBooker 6/22/2019, 12:03 pm

Sanderson. I use this EZ-STRAW. I mulched my entire garden with just one of these bags. It is packed really tight and when you fluff it up a bit, it will cover 500 sq ft.

IMHO: The EZ-straw is already chopped up pretty fine plus, the description says its biodegradable. Just plant and leave it in place to compost.

I buy mine at Rural King for $11.97 per bag  but I see Lowe's also sells them for about $12.97.


Mulch - Bedding Straw Ez_str10
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 734
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 77
Location : 62260

Back to top Go down

Mulch - Bedding Straw Empty Re: Mulch - Bedding Straw

Post  sanderson 6/22/2019, 1:59 pm

Thanks, Mr. B, I am trying to cut back on labor (of love, but still labor) as I don't have the endurance I used to have. I may try this product as it would save a lot of time. After this summer, I may quit composting all together. I have found 3 different composts I can buy.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21466
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 75
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Mulch - Bedding Straw Empty Re: Mulch - Bedding Straw

Post  MrBooker 6/22/2019, 2:19 pm

sanderson wrote:Thanks, Mr. B, I am trying to cut back on labor (of love, but still labor) as I don't have the endurance I used to have.  I may try this product as it would save a lot of time.  After this summer, I may quit composting all together.   I have found 3 different composts I can buy.
" I have found 3 different composts I can buy"  My wife said the same thing and as usual, she is correct. Since my beds and containers already have the vermiculite in them, all I do now is "sweeten" them up, with bagged compost in the spring and for the last few years, it has worked for me.

I love using the EZ-STRAW.  I just leave it in the garden to over winter and it breaks down pretty well. Next spring, just dig in the partially composted straw and add more compost and I'm off and running again.

It gives me more time to sit on the deck, open up a cold Bud Light Lime and look out over my garden.....   Mulch - Bedding Straw 3170584802
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 734
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 77
Location : 62260

Back to top Go down

Mulch - Bedding Straw Empty Re: Mulch - Bedding Straw

Post  OhioGardener 6/22/2019, 4:12 pm

How thick do you apply it to cover the beds for winter, MrB?   I normally buy bales of straw from local farmers, and lay the flakes of the bale flat across the beds to provide about 3" of mulch on the entire bed. In spring they are pulled off and composted, and the beds are ready to go.  The earthworms and microbes love the moist straw against the soil for the winter months.  In this area, farmers sell straw for $2 a bale, and I usually buy 4 bales each fall.

____________________________

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4424
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Mulch - Bedding Straw Empty Re: Mulch - Bedding Straw

Post  MrBooker 6/22/2019, 4:56 pm

OhioGardener wrote:How thick do you apply it to cover the beds for winter, MrB?   I normally buy bales of straw from local farmers, and lay the flakes of the bale flat across the beds to provide about 3" of mulch on the entire bed. In spring they are pulled off and composted, and the beds are ready to go.  The earthworms and microbes love the moist straw against the soil for the winter months.  In this area, farmers sell straw for $2 a bale, and I usually buy 4 bales each fall.
In my opinion for the winter, a little thicker is always better if you can get the straw down before the soil freezes.  I understand the soil will freeze during the hard winter months but I like to keep it warm as I can for as long as I can.

 I feel good with three to five inches of straw during the winter months. As you say, in early spring when you can pull the straw back and find the earthworms between the straw and the soil, it's going to be a good year.

I understand, everyone may not agree but over the years, it has worked well for me.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 734
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 77
Location : 62260

Back to top Go down

Mulch - Bedding Straw Empty Re: Mulch - Bedding Straw

Post  sanderson 6/23/2019, 3:32 am

Living in a temperate climate, I don't have to mulch to protect the Mix from freezing.  I do, or in the past, like to top off beds that will sleep during the winter with homemade chunky compost.  Come spring, the alfalfa from the horse manure and chopped used straw sit lightly on the Mix and the worms are en mass on the surface of Mix.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21466
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 75
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Mulch - Bedding Straw Empty Re: Mulch - Bedding Straw

Post  sanderson 4/28/2022, 1:59 pm

I just found this old thread where Mr. Booker introduced me to E-Z Straw with Tack.  Looking at the photo of my straw-chopping set up, I am so glad I now use E-Z Straw.  The hours I spent on the patio chopping straw into 4" pieces!

This spring I bought a different pre-chopped straw to try and there is a clear winner for SFG spacing.  Pennington Seeding Straw with Tackifier is rougher cut with some pieces 10" long.  Even piling it on, it is hard to cover the surface against the sun to keep down weeds.  There are a few viable wheat seeds that have sprouted but they are incidental and, alone, would not prevent me from using it. The basil bed has 1 1/2" of head space for mulch and it was hard to keep the straw within the bed.  The pepper bed has 3 1/2" of head space so I could add more depth of the Pennigton Straw and keep it within the bed.

Mulch - Bedding Straw Mulch_10

Mulch - Bedding Straw Mulch_14

Mulch - Bedding Straw Mulch_15


E-Z Straw with Tack slips around the closely spaced plants with ease and covers the Mel's Mix.  This bed only has an 1" - 1 1/2" of head space for mulch.

Mulch - Bedding Straw Mulch_18

Mulch - Bedding Straw Mulch_16

Mulch - Bedding Straw Mulch_17

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21466
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 75
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Mulch - Bedding Straw Empty Re: Mulch - Bedding Straw

Post  MrBooker 4/28/2022, 5:08 pm

sanderson wrote:I just found this old thread where Mr. Booker introduced me to E-Z Straw with Tack.  Looking at the photo of my straw-chopping set up, I am so glad I now use E-Z Straw.  The hours I spent on the patio chopping straw into 4" pieces!

This spring I bought a different pre-chopped straw to try and there is a clear winner for SFG spacing.  Pennington Seeding Straw with Tackifier is rougher cut with some pieces 10" long.  Even piling it on, it is hard to cover the surface against the sun to keep down weeds.  There are a few viable wheat seeds that have sprouted but they are incidental and, alone, would not prevent me from using it. The basil bed has 1 1/2" of head space for mulch and it was hard to keep the straw within the bed.  The pepper bed has 3 1/2" of head space so I could add more depth of the Pennigton Straw and keep it within the bed.

Mulch - Bedding Straw Mulch_10

Mulch - Bedding Straw Mulch_14

Mulch - Bedding Straw Mulch_15


E-Z Straw with Tack slips around the closely spaced plants with ease and covers the Mel's Mix.  This bed only has an 1" - 1 1/2" of head space for mulch.

Mulch - Bedding Straw Mulch_18

Mulch - Bedding Straw Mulch_16

Mulch - Bedding Straw Mulch_17
Three years ago, when I posted about the E-Z Straw, it was $11.99. Now it's $15.99 <---<
Putin did that.  Very Happy  The straw works great on my potato beds. OBTW: Your garden makes me jealous.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 734
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 77
Location : 62260

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mulch - Bedding Straw Empty Re: Mulch - Bedding Straw

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum