Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Solution for a non-existent problem? Toplef10Solution for a non-existent problem? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Solution for a non-existent problem? I22gcj10Solution for a non-existent problem? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Solution for a non-existent problem? Toplef10Solution for a non-existent problem? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Solution for a non-existent problem? I22gcj10Solution for a non-existent problem? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Solution for a non-existent problem?

+5
Dan in Ct
yolos
SQWIB
trolleydriver
OhioGardener
9 posters

Go down

Solution for a non-existent problem? Empty Solution for a non-existent problem?

Post  OhioGardener 12/18/2018, 5:20 pm

I wonder if some times there are solutions invented for which there was no problem to solve? For the average gardener, there probably is no need to have drill-powered hold digger....but, what do you think? Would you find this tool useful?

Solution for a non-existent problem? Maxbit10

The MAXBIT Garden Hole Digger

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Solution for a non-existent problem? Empty Re: Solution for a non-existent problem?

Post  trolleydriver 12/18/2018, 5:34 pm

definitely not needed if planting in Mels Mix.

Another solution looking for a problem to solve.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Frost? likes this post

Back to top Go down

Solution for a non-existent problem? Empty Re: Solution for a non-existent problem?

Post  SQWIB 12/18/2018, 6:33 pm

The person that invented that was an orthopedic surgeon.
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/18/2018, 9:10 pm

No, our MM is so soft that all you need is a finger to make the hole.  BUT, if I was planting in my native Red Georgia Clay, I would definitely need this tool.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 12/19/2018, 10:40 am

The diameter of the bits are larger than I first thought. At 4" and 6" the bits may save your back but might wrench your shoulder. An 18 volt cordless drill has sufficient torque to but a strain on elbows and shoulders. I could see if you were planting into a fairly large landscape, numerous plants the MAXBIT garden drill bit maybe the way to go. It maybe worth it to a professional with untrained staff to speed things along. I would be more than happy to beta test but I don't think I would buy one.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/24/2018, 3:16 pm

Use Mel's Mix or improve the quality of the native soil. Problem solved.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Solution for a non-existent problem? Empty solution to problem that doesn't exist

Post  onebirdiema 8/14/2022, 8:22 am

Others of a certain, hmm, shall we say advancing life stage may remember when general-use i.e. personal computers first came on the market.  Drove all the then-users nutz because of all the new tools and tweeks and stuff they had NO IDEA what to use for.  There are so many answers to unasked questions out there . . . and I think the maxx hole drill would be great to have if it can handle my riparian mostly clay soil when it's dry . . .
onebirdiema
onebirdiema

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/14/2022, 8:38 am

onebirdiema wrote:I think the maxx hole drill would be great to have if it can handle my riparian mostly clay soil when it's dry . . .

I am lost on this post. Are you saying that if you drill bigger holes you can use your clay soil instead of Mel's Mix?  If so, that won't work.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/14/2022, 12:28 pm

onebirdiema wrote:Others of a certain, hmm, shall we say advancing life stage. . . and I think the maxx hole drill would be great to have if it can handle my riparian mostly clay soil when it's dry . . .
This is your first post on the Square Foot Gardening Forum since you joined 10 years ago.  You may want to go back and read the book. This forum uses the ALL NEW SQUARE FOOT GARDENING book, 1st, 2nd or 3rd Edition, written by Mel Bartholomew, as it's guide in this purpose.  We only use raised beds filled with Mel's Mix, which is light and fluffy and easy to work by hand.  A hand trowel, pencil and scissors are the front line "tools" that are suggested.  Even those of us of advanced age can plant in Mel's Mix without electric tools.

The Maxx Hole Drill may be fine for planting flowers out of the box as long as it doesn't bite and wrench the wrist or arm.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 8/14/2022, 1:09 pm

Watched their video on Youtube. It starts by showing someone hopelessly trying to use a trowel to dig a hole in hard ground. Then they start the jazzy music and show someone using the drill. But now they seem to be drilling into mulch, not hard-packed soil. My take is that if you have the muscles to hold that big heavy drill steady, you probably have the muscles to use a soil knife or a small pickax. When I was breaking up hard ground for my non-SFG garden, I would always water copiously first to soften the ground.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/14/2022, 5:52 pm

Found the video. I am reminded of a "better mouse trap." Actually, I'm thinking that if it's used on clay or hardpan, the sides of the hole would be smooth. If a plant with peat moss and other growing material that nurseries use was set in the hole, the roots would never get out of it and it could flood. I always tried to break up the sides and add a bit of organic to make a transitional zone so the roots had a chance to grow out.

Shark Tank - I think I'll pass.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/14/2022, 7:22 pm

sanderson wrote:Found the video.  I am reminded of a "better mouse trap."  Actually, I'm thinking that if it's used on clay or hardpan, the sides of the hole would be smooth.  If a plant with peat moss and other growing material that nurseries use was set in the hole, the roots would never get out of it and it could flood.  I always tried to break up the sides and add a bit of organic to make a transitional zone so the roots had a chance to grow out.

Shark Tank - I think I'll pass.
That is exactly what happens….the nurseries use blue water and sell gorgeous plants…then they come home to an actual garden—SURPRISE!!!!  No way out kid.  I have done that time and time again.  No thanks.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down