Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Tennessee! Toplef10Hello from Tennessee! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Tennessee! I22gcj10Hello from Tennessee! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Tennessee! Toplef10Hello from Tennessee! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Tennessee! I22gcj10Hello from Tennessee! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Tennessee!

4 posters

Go down

Hello from Tennessee! Empty Hello from Tennessee!

Post  Finch 5/18/2010, 12:24 am

I had to move before the right garden spot finally entered my life. At our old house, I tried 3 different places and never did get it right. It got shady, or it was too far away from the house, or there was no water near by. Ha! I've got it all now: 10 hours of sun in summer and 6-7 hours in winter, a faucet right in the garden, and the kitchen only a few steps away. Only other gardeners would appreciate these basics.

We live on 8 acres of pasture, mature trees, and woods. Not much flat ground, though. We are still working on our house. The yard is mess, the house needs painting, I am embarrassed for anyone to come up the driveway. BUT. I have my garden. First things first!

I've had a SF Gardening book for years but this is the first time I am doing it completely by the book, right down to Mel's Mix for starters. I have 8 4X4 beds surrounding a smaller 3X3 bed in the middle, which is for my 6-year-old daughter. I also have a 2X16 bed in the back for the tall stuff. The beds are made from composite (basically nice-looking plastic) decking from Lowe's. This was a bit of an investment up front, but I had a raised-bed garden rot out from under me once and didn't want to repeat the experience. It was also quite a bit of work, but all three children got out there with my husband and me on two different days for the mixing and filling of the beds. They are ages 6, 11, and 16. It was my birthday and Mother's Day gift.

A note about the composite decking lumber: it is flexible, so using short pieces in small beds are best, we assumed. However, the last bed we built ("we" meaning my husband) is made from full-length 16-ft pieces. They were so warped INWARD when we built the bed that by the time we filled the bed with dirt they staightened out perfectly and have remained so. Nice surprise. Also, hubby said the lumber was easy to work with, the hardest part was three trips to Ace Hardware to get screws that worked with the density of the composite material.

We moved into our new house in December. I had already spent months watching the sunlight and laying out different garden designs. On Valentine's Day my husband started building the beds. I planted seeds in early March. We have been eating lettuce and greens since early April and recently started harvesting beets and carrots. I am anxiously watching the warm-weather stuff grow up. Sometimes I like to go out and just sit in my garden. The paths are mulched with pine straw so everything is very tame. Unlike the rest of the yard! But who cares how long the house takes to be really finished? Home is where your garden grows.
Finch
Finch

Back to top Go down

Hello from Tennessee! Empty Re: Hello from Tennessee!

Post  Lavender Debs 5/18/2010, 10:42 am

Welcome to you Finch....I love the way you write!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  dixie 5/18/2010, 12:16 pm

Welcome for another Tennesseean - I'm nearby, in Birchwood.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt 5/18/2010, 5:33 pm

It sounds like you have a wonderful garden! We also have invested in our garden this year, figuring that we would like to have organic, locally grown veggies for many years to come.

What summer fruits and veggies have you planted? I'm always interested to know what other southeastern gardeners are experimenting with.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Finch 5/19/2010, 4:51 pm

Thanks, you guys!

I started with mostly lettuce and greens---LOTS of it. Everything became lush at once, which was really pretty but now all of a sudden I have things going to seed everywhere. But I also have summer stuff on its way.

I thought I would be very clever and plant greens in my okra bed---an okra seed in the middle of each square with a kale or mustard plant in each corner of each square. Nice idea, but the okra took so long to do anything in the the cool spring weather I might as well have waited to plant it. But the greens were great. Just kept cutting and eating, then doing it again a few days later. Sillly things kept shading my non-growing okra babies.
Hello from Tennessee! Dsc02010
The kale is still hanging in there (not bolting) and so is the swiss chard.
I wish I had planted more beets and carrots; my 6-year-old simply cannot resist pulling them now that htye are getting big enough to eat.
Finch
Finch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum