Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Watering - the perennial bane of my existence Toplef10Watering - the perennial bane of my existence 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Watering - the perennial bane of my existence I22gcj10Watering - the perennial bane of my existence 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Watering - the perennial bane of my existence Toplef10Watering - the perennial bane of my existence 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Watering - the perennial bane of my existence I22gcj10Watering - the perennial bane of my existence 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 10:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Watering - the perennial bane of my existence

5 posters

Go down

Watering - the perennial bane of my existence Empty Watering - the perennial bane of my existence

Post  moswell 3/26/2018, 1:43 pm

Hi all! Haven't posted in a while, though I continue to SFG every year. I bought a house in summer, 2014, and am slowly making permanent improvements on my gardening practices. I think this might be the year to do some kind of permanent watering system because here in the mid-Atlantic, once August rolls around I am sick to death of lugging water to the back of my yard or using the sprinkler (which is inefficient, hurts the leaves, and damages the tomato trellis lines).

So, I was thinking of setting up a drip system, connected to a hose I would run down my backyard. I have two 4x4 boxes, so nothing too elaborate. I don't mind playing with PVC. Has anyone recently used the system described in the post below, and if so, any tweaks you'd recommend? Or is it better to find a kit somewhere? Thanks!

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t11364p25-8-table-top-boxes-with-automatic-watering-video
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Watering - the perennial bane of my existence Empty Re: Watering - the perennial bane of my existence

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/27/2018, 8:05 am

Hi Moswell! Welcome home!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Watering - the perennial bane of my existence Empty Re: Watering - the perennial bane of my existence

Post  moswell 3/27/2018, 2:54 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Hi Moswell!  Welcome home!!
Thanks! I'm ready for another successful gardening season. Very Happy
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 3/27/2018, 3:10 pm

Personally I would start off with a kit from a place like Drip Depot
At DD you can chose a kit, click customize and add to your kit or select everything individually.

I started with emitters and eventually switched to all Emitter lines. For my pots I make a loop out of emitter lines and depending on the size of the pot, may have two or three emitters in the line. I usually install a valve to each bed, pot or area for better control.
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 3/27/2018, 3:24 pm

SQWIB wrote:Personally I would start off with a kit from a place like Drip Depot
At DD you can chose a kit, click customize and add to your kit or select everything individually.

I started with emitters and eventually switched to all Emitter lines. For my pots I make a loop out of emitter lines and depending on the size of the pot, may have two or three emitters in the line. I usually install a valve to each bed, pot or area for better control.
So something like this? https://www.dripdepot.com/product/deluxe-drip-irrigation-kit-for-container-gardening
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 3/27/2018, 7:16 pm

I would try to find a kit that has a pressure reducer, hose adaptor and whatever you want for watering, emitters, drop line, sprayers, etc...
One suggestion about the kits is the filter clogs easily, I would go with a better filter than the kits have.

Last edited by SQWIB on 3/27/2018, 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 3/27/2018, 7:18 pm

Like the tag line canister filters
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 3/28/2018, 2:49 pm

SQWIB wrote:Like the tag line canister filters
Thanks for the recommendation.
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  SQWIB 3/28/2018, 3:00 pm

moswell wrote:
SQWIB wrote:Like the tag line canister filters
Thanks for the recommendation.

No problem, when I get my irrigation setup, I'll take some pics.

Timers are a great addition to, I have the Orbit one way and two way, the one in the main garden is a two way and waters all the beds and the other valve tops off the pond thats hooked to a float valve to prevent over filling.

Pricey but worth it.
Orbit One Valve, Amazon
SQWIB
SQWIB

Back to top Go down

Watering - the perennial bane of my existence Empty Just installed mine

Post  Zuly98 4/2/2018, 3:43 pm

Hi, I just installed my drip irrigation watering system onto my 3 SFG beds. It took some time, but works great! My 14 year old daughter and I did it ourselves. I used the DIG brand and got most of my items from Home Depot. I watched a few How To videos on youtube and got it connected. I did need to order some of the lines on Amazon since they did not have everything at home depot. Let us know how your install goes. I hooked up the timer to my faucet and VOILA! Water!
Zuly98
Zuly98

Female Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/5/2018, 9:43 am

I would suggest using a chlorine filter on your spigot.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Watering - the perennial bane of my existence WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 4/5/2018, 9:44 am

Thanks all. I got my drip kit yesterday, but I'm waiting until Sunday to do anything in the garden, given the chance for snow (argh)!
moswell
moswell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down