Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Toplef10N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Toplef10N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? I22gcj10N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP Today at 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson Today at 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson Today at 12:49 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:56 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:54 pm

» Getting Started
by Turan Yesterday at 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:49 am

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 6/17/2024, 10:28 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 6/16/2024, 2:30 pm

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Turan 6/13/2024, 10:45 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 6/13/2024, 8:49 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by MrBooker 6/12/2024, 5:19 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 6/12/2024, 1:52 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by has55 6/12/2024, 1:17 pm

» New SFGer from Perth Australia.
by sanderson 6/8/2024, 3:23 am

» National Gardening Week?
by Scorpio Rising 6/5/2024, 11:17 am

» Do raspberries have special needs?
by donnainzone5 6/4/2024, 5:12 pm

» What tiny monster is this?
by OhioGardener 6/3/2024, 1:19 pm

» Can I sew row cover material?
by sanderson 6/2/2024, 11:54 pm

» Garden Bells! Hoe! Hoe! Hoe!
by Scorpio Rising 6/1/2024, 2:21 pm

» vermiculite vs. perlite
by PVPind 5/31/2024, 3:33 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/31/2024, 1:28 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by DuluthLori 5/30/2024, 3:12 pm

» Dealing with Critters in Garden
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/28/2024, 10:32 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/28/2024, 8:53 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by lisawallace88 5/28/2024, 8:07 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

+4
farmersgranddaughter
LarryH
sanderson
aliceingardenland
8 posters

Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/21/2018, 8:58 pm

OK it’s go time!

Midwest, when are you starting seeds, how, and what?  For example, peppers, under lights on pads, March 1st, Sweet Banana, King of the North, etc. 

When?                  How?                  What?


Or any order you prefer, obviously !N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8776
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 62
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  aliceingardenland 2/22/2018, 8:00 am

Cheers! Feb 19 I started my tomato and pepper seeds indoors in recycled used k cups. Don't have any grow lights so just put them in the window. Peppers- sweet banana, Jimmy nardello, sugar Rush peach ahi, jalapeno, shishito, fish, poblano and cubanelle. Tomatoes- chocolate sprinkles, green vernissage, blondkopfchen, tiny Tim, snow white, Sunchocola, Black krim, scary Larry, solar flare, Marianna's peace, Brandywine, djeena Lee's golden girl, jaune flame, speckled Roman, seek no further love apple, and Cherokee chocolate. I have never tried ground cherries so next weekend I'm going to plant a few of those, I'm excited! I'm itching to direct sow greens and snow/snap peas I'll probably go ahead and start some of those too. In March I'll start my herbs. I have spring fever soooooo bad
aliceingardenland
aliceingardenland

Female Posts : 48
Join date : 2018-02-06
Age : 39
Location : Arkansas zone 7

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  aliceingardenland 2/22/2018, 8:20 am

YayN&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Img_2011
aliceingardenland
aliceingardenland

Female Posts : 48
Join date : 2018-02-06
Age : 39
Location : Arkansas zone 7

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  sanderson 2/22/2018, 2:44 pm

Very Happy  I don't want to rain on your happiness, but what is the temperature at the window?  They will need a little warmth.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21590
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 75
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  aliceingardenland 2/22/2018, 3:24 pm

I use a wood stove for heat, so it's usually toasty warm in my house
aliceingardenland
aliceingardenland

Female Posts : 48
Join date : 2018-02-06
Age : 39
Location : Arkansas zone 7

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/22/2018, 8:31 pm

Wow, Alice!  That is great!  You have such a variety of things, can’t wait to hear how they go, and of course, how they taste!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8776
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 62
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty RE: starting seeds

Post  LarryH 2/22/2018, 10:33 pm

Started first batch of lettuce on the 10th under a new 8 bulb grow light.  Will start the next batch this week end.  Leaf lettuce only, green ice, red sails, black seeded simpson etc.
LarryH
LarryH

Male Posts : 7
Join date : 2018-02-05
Location : 6B Cleveland, OH

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/22/2018, 10:37 pm

LarryH wrote:Started first batch of lettuce on the 10th under a new 8 bulb grow light.  Will start the next batch this week end.  Leaf lettuce only, green ice, red sails, black seeded simpson etc.
I grew Green Ice last year for the first time...LOVE!!!!  Mr. Booker!!!  Just an amazing producer, delicious, crunchy mild...prolific.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8776
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 62
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  aliceingardenland 2/23/2018, 7:26 am

Yummmm there's nothing like fresh garden lettuce with some garden tomatoes and some ranch dressing
aliceingardenland
aliceingardenland

Female Posts : 48
Join date : 2018-02-06
Age : 39
Location : Arkansas zone 7

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/23/2018, 7:05 pm

aliceingardenland wrote:Yummmm there's nothing like fresh garden lettuce with some garden tomatoes and some ranch dressing
The real ranch made with buttermilk...nothing like it, IMO! I love you
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8776
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 62
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  aliceingardenland 2/23/2018, 7:35 pm

Yes yes yes buttermilk ranch dressing is the best...I actually just got done pinning farmgirl fare's easy homemade low fat buttermilk ranch dressing recipe on Pinterest to try Very Happy. What's your fave lettuces to grow and eat, Scorpio?
aliceingardenland
aliceingardenland

Female Posts : 48
Join date : 2018-02-06
Age : 39
Location : Arkansas zone 7

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/24/2018, 12:13 pm

aliceingardenland wrote:Yes yes yes buttermilk ranch dressing is the best...I actually just got done pinning farmgirl fare's easy homemade low fat buttermilk ranch dressing recipe on Pinterest to try Very Happy. What's your fave lettuces to grow and eat, Scorpio?
Flashy Butter Oak, Marvel of Four Seasons, Rouge D’ Hiver, All Year Round, Matchless, Black Seeded Simpson, and Green Ice for a nice mix of leaf, butterhead and cos types.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8776
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 62
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are you starting seeds?

Post  farmersgranddaughter 2/24/2018, 3:37 pm

I started Early Jalapeno, Emerald Giant Bell, and Sweet Banana peppers a couple of weeks ago.  I set a shelving unit in a bay window with a southern exposure so they get light all through the day.  This is the first time I've used a heat mat.  The thermostat is a must to regulate the temperature.  Every seed sprouted.  

As an experiment (and because I simply can't wait to grow something), I planted French Breakfast radish seeds in a rectangular planter.  No heat mat needed for these and they've already sprouted.

I've never grown lettuce indoors and want to give it a try.  I'll start tomatoes in a couple of weeks.
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Female Posts : 107
Join date : 2018-01-15
Age : 63
Location : Arkansas Zone 6b

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/24/2018, 10:57 pm

farmersgranddaughter wrote:I started Early Jalapeno, Emerald Giant Bell, and Sweet Banana peppers a couple of weeks ago.  I set a shelving unit in a bay window with a southern exposure so they get light all through the day.  This is the first time I've used a heat mat.  The thermostat is a must to regulate the temperature.  Every seed sprouted.  

As an experiment (and because I simply can't wait to grow something), I planted French Breakfast radish seeds in a rectangular planter.  No heat mat needed for these and they've already sprouted.

I've never grown lettuce indoors and want to give it a try.  I'll start tomatoes in a couple of weeks.
Nice!  Wish I had a south facing window that wasn’t in my bedroom!  Yeah, radishes are so satisfying to start the season with, aren’t they!?  Just so vigorous.  And yummy!  I love all of them!  I found my absolute faves this year, French Breakfast, this year, fro Pinetree Seeds!  I have missed them.  So mild and yum.  Even make a great sandwich, butter, salt, radish.  Done.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8776
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 62
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  countrynaturals 2/25/2018, 1:57 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:
farmersgranddaughter wrote:I started Early Jalapeno, Emerald Giant Bell, and Sweet Banana peppers a couple of weeks ago.  I set a shelving unit in a bay window with a southern exposure so they get light all through the day.  This is the first time I've used a heat mat.  The thermostat is a must to regulate the temperature.  Every seed sprouted.  

As an experiment (and because I simply can't wait to grow something), I planted French Breakfast radish seeds in a rectangular planter.  No heat mat needed for these and they've already sprouted.

I've never grown lettuce indoors and want to give it a try.  I'll start tomatoes in a couple of weeks.
Nice!  Wish I had a south facing window that wasn’t in my bedroom!  Yeah, radishes are so satisfying to start the season with, aren’t they!?  Just so vigorous.  And yummy!  I love all of them!  I found my absolute faves this year, French Breakfast, this year, fro Pinetree Seeds!  I have missed them.  So mild and yum.  Even make a great sandwich, butter, salt, radish.  Done.
Daikon radishes are the only ones I like. It's such a drag that they take so long.  Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/25/2018, 1:28 pm

Yes, they take a while...but are delicious!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8776
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 62
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  Kate888 2/26/2018, 10:26 pm

Today I started my onions, shallots, parsley and broccoli.  I don't know that I'll have room for the broccoli, but my mom might like it, so I'm growing some for her. I've got them on a heating pad and after I took the picture I did cover them with plastic.

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Img_0310

Here is my calendar for March and April for seed starting.  The formatting is just a little off and you can't see my color coding.  That's why in the top of the boxes it says "Plant Seed Inside" (yellow)  "Plant Seed Outside" (purple) etc, they are color coded, then on March 19th the tomatoes, basil and oregano (in yellow) are started inside, but the peas (in purple) are started outside (if the ground isn't frozen).

Each year I just copy the schedule, adjust the dates and the info is still there for all my plants, though I may adjust what day I want to plant it.

The numbers like 10 WB, are the countdown for how many weeks until my last frost date so I don't have to keep looking it up.


Plant Seed Indoors Plant Seed Outside Transplant                   MARCH 2018
252627
 
2812 3 11 WB
45
 
6789  10 10 WB
11
 
12
 
131415
 
16 
 
17 9 WB  Peas Tomatoes, Basil, Oregano
181920
 
212223
 
24 8 WB
 
252627
 
28 2930
 
31 7 WB
Lettuce 1, peppers







Plant Seed Indoors Plant Seed Outside Transplant                      APRIL 2018
123456
 
7  Parsley , oregano
 
8
 
9
 
10 111213
 
14 5 WB
onions, shallots, spinach
1516
 
17
 
18192021 Lettuce 1 Lettuce 2
22232425262728  3 WB
 
Kate888
Kate888

Female Posts : 199
Join date : 2012-02-11
Age : 59
Location : Demotte, Indiana - zone 5b

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  Kate888 2/26/2018, 10:29 pm

Oh, and this is part of the file I keep.  It shows how many weeks before the last frost date, then how many weeks after, and later in the summer, on the left side, counts down weeks before the fall frost date.  I just find it handy, and thought it might be a helpful idea for someone else.

12 – Feb 24
11 – Mar 3
10 – March 10
9 – March 17
8 – March 24
7 – March 31
6 – April 7
5 – April 14
4 – April 21
3 – April 28
2 – May 5
1 – May 12         
0 – May 19 - 0
1 – May 26 - 1
2 – May 29 - 2
3 – June 2 - 3
4 – June 9 - 4
5 – June 16 - 5
6 – June 23 - 6
7 – June 30 - 7
8 – July 7- 8
9 – July 14 - 9
10 – July 21 +10/-12       
11 – July 28  -11
12 – August 4  -10
13 – August 11 -9
14 – August 18  -8
15 – August 25  -7
16 – Sept 1  -6
17 – Sept 8  – 5
18 – Sept 15  – 4
19 – Sept 22  – 3              
20 – Sept 29  – 2              
21 – Oct 6  – 1   
22 – Oct 13  – 0
Kate888
Kate888

Female Posts : 199
Join date : 2012-02-11
Age : 59
Location : Demotte, Indiana - zone 5b

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  sanderson 2/27/2018, 3:59 pm

okay

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21590
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 75
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  trolleydriver 2/27/2018, 4:20 pm

Kate your schedule for last and first frost dates looks very similar to mine.
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 76
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/27/2018, 9:13 pm

Kate888 wrote:Oh, and this is part of the file I keep.  It shows how many weeks before the last frost date, then how many weeks after, and later in the summer, on the left side, counts down weeks before the fall frost date.  I just find it handy, and thought it might be a helpful idea for someone else.

12 – Feb 24
11 – Mar 3
10 – March 10
9 – March 17
8 – March 24
7 – March 31
6 – April 7
5 – April 14
4 – April 21
3 – April 28
2 – May 5
1 – May 12         
0 – May 19 - 0
1 – May 26 - 1
2 – May 29 - 2
3 – June 2 - 3
4 – June 9 - 4
5 – June 16 - 5
6 – June 23 - 6
7 – June 30 - 7
8 – July 7- 8
9 – July 14 - 9
10 – July 21 +10/-12       
11 – July 28  -11
12 – August 4  -10
13 – August 11 -9
14 – August 18  -8
15 – August 25  -7
16 – Sept 1  -6
17 – Sept 8  – 5
18 – Sept 15  – 4
19 – Sept 22  – 3              
20 – Sept 29  – 2              
21 – Oct 6  – 1   
22 – Oct 13  – 0
Nice!  Love it!  Thanks, Kate! cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8776
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 62
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

N&C Midwest:  When are your starting seeds? Empty Re: N&C Midwest: When are your starting seeds?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum