Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Toplef10I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! I22gcj10I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Toplef10I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! I22gcj10I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes!

+9
JonRigby2005
aspiegardner
auntiemommy
silverbug
timwardell
nancy
Lavender Debs
boffer
Wyldflower
13 posters

Go down

I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Empty I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes!

Post  Wyldflower 5/17/2010, 1:28 am

Some of the tomatoes, all of the peppers and eggplant...

Yesterday was the 'official' last frost date. I've got covers at the ready. I just couldn't bear to wait any longer!
I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Img_0110

Here are the two veggie beds - you can just see the corner of the potato bed...

I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Img_0114

I've got thirteen empty squares here, reserved for some herbs, and I'm not sure what else. I may also build one more 3'x6' box, since I have the Trex composite board to do that with. The next project is going to have to be the trellis, I think.

I've got a ton of flowers that need to be planted, too, but many of them will probably go in the non-SFG bed in the front yard.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Empty Re: I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes!

Post  boffer 5/17/2010, 1:56 am

Good for you! Ya gotta take the plunge sometime. Did you get your money's worth out of your grandkids yesterday?!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Empty Re: I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes!

Post  Lavender Debs 5/17/2010, 9:50 am

I'm not feeling brave, but I got most of mine in yesterday and will put the rest in today. My husband has scheduled a week at the ocean and the person watering my garden doesn't want to mess with seedlings. I'm not feeling good about it, I would like to wait a couple of weeks but don't want to loose them all together. I and they will be fine, I'm sure. I'll probably put pic in the toy box later today.

I missed that your grandkids were coming. How fun!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/17/2010, 10:48 am

Wyldflower - I put mine in on Saturday. I love your pics! We spent a couple hours at the garden and put in everything we had. I got 2 of the new boxes built, but they aren't filled yet. It's supposed to rain all week, so I don't know when I'll get back down there. I bought strawberries yesterday, so I really want to get their bed built asap. I'm half tempted to build it in the rain! I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Icon_geek
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 5/17/2010, 12:50 pm

boffer wrote:Good for you! Ya gotta take the plunge sometime. Did you get your money's worth out of your grandkids yesterday?!

My granddaughter and her boyfriend were a great help... but my grandson couldn't come around... something about a friend's birthday.

The kids helped to fill in the box (mix had settled and needed to be brought up to level), plant the box, weed the earlier box, plant strawberries and raspberries (non-SFG beds) and put together my hanging baskets for the front porch, along with some general maintenance on the yard. I'd say I got my money's worth- all it cost me was a pizza and a couple of sodas.

Grandkids are great... they'll do for Oma what the don't do at home! LOL
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 5/17/2010, 2:31 pm

Looking good Wyldflower! Here's hoping you're done with the cold weather.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  silverbug 5/17/2010, 3:22 pm

Yay! I did it too; put in all the tomatoes and peppers, etc...this past weekend. So far, so good, and I'm crossing my fingers. Sometimes we just have to say it's time.
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  auntiemommy 5/17/2010, 4:20 pm

I got mine in as well, right after Mother's Day actually. I did have to cover them one night, but then it didn't get as cold as they said it might. Mother's Day is our big flower and plant shopping trip at the greenhouse, so I usually get them out shortly after that. (I buy tomato and pepper plants)
auntiemommy
auntiemommy

Female Posts : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  aspiegardner 5/17/2010, 9:02 pm

Looks great. I am taking the plunge and planting on Wed. it was rainy yesterday and I am busy til Wed.

I will be busy building a strawberry pyramid this weekend and maybe another box or two not sure yet.

I have a lot I want to do in the garden and digging all the weeds/yuck in that area is top priority. Its a huge area and nothing's been done to it in years.
aspiegardner

Back to top Go down

Post  JonRigby2005 5/17/2010, 10:13 pm

I just harvested my first 3 tomatoes of the season, sorry i had to rub it in from sunny florida;)
JonRigby2005

Male Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 5/17/2010, 11:17 pm

JonRigby2005 wrote:I just harvested my first 3 tomatoes of the season, sorry i had to rub it in from sunny florida;)

gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

nah... I wouldn't trade my view of Pikes Peak for earlier tomatoes.... anticipation!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  Leighfluver 5/17/2010, 11:28 pm

Wyldflower, you hold onto your vista! That's the way! LOL! I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Icon_biggrin

I just put my tomatoes in the boxes this afternoon. Our frost date here is Mem Day, approx. We have not had the frosts this May that they have called for, so while the soil is a bit cool, I put paper over my beds as mulch and put my tomatoes and peppers in.

We are going on vacation this next week, and so long as we get some rain, I am looking forward to having the earliest garden in our area!
Leighfluver
Leighfluver

Female Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Theresa 5/20/2010, 8:32 pm

Wyldflower your gardens look great! Hope your tomatoes do good and the weather warms up for you!
Theresa

FOUNDER SFG forum 2009

certified SFG instructor

Female Posts : 211

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 5/20/2010, 10:04 pm

Thanks everyone!

this evening I started harvesting some lettuce and spinach and green onion for my salad.... first harvest! woohoo!!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/22/2010, 9:54 pm

You were brave to put in tomatoes, but that's the good thing about SFG. If it doesn't work, you put in another plant to replace it later.
I hope they are all growing well for you.
I put most of my tomatoes in today even tho our last frost date is May 30th, but we've had some great spring weather and I have my heavy row cover ready in case of any imminent frost.
Enjoy.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Empty UPDATE 5/23-26

Post  Wyldflower 5/27/2010, 12:54 am

I've moved the basil that was between my tomatoes and put in MORE tomatoes! So my northern edge is all tomatoes except for one tomatillo in the middle. I put two basil plants together in each of two squares, and my second row is filled with eggplant, peppers and basil. I've also put in a fennel that I bought, and one fennel seed in the same square.
I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Img_0116

Then I've seeded the remaining squares with Cilantro, Chinese Cabbage, Bok Choy, Parsnips, Turnips and radishes. Seed packets are in the picture so I remember what is where... two squares of each.
I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Img_0117
I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Img_0118

The potato patch is growing like crazy, and I'll be covering the plants with dried leaves that I had bagged up last fall.
I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Img_0122

And best of all - I've got one tomato plant that's flowering! The Stupice has about four flowers now! AND there are actual tomatillos starting!
I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Img_0121
I got brave, and put in some of my tomatoes! Img_0120
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cynergist 5/27/2010, 7:14 am

Great shots. I put in my tomato and cucumber plants and something got to them. I think maybe the birds; just took the tops right off!

Did you have the basil just because you wanted it, or did it serve a purpose like acting as a repellant?
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Female Posts : 141

http://adf.ly/115253/gardenblog

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 5/27/2010, 10:59 am

The Cynergist wrote:...Did you have the basil just because you wanted it, or did it serve a purpose like acting as a repellant?

I love PESTO! ... and Caprese Salad (Sliced tomato, fresh mozzarella and basil, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar).
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/27/2010, 11:07 am

Cynergist, it was probably cutworm that got your plants if the tops were right off. They curl around the base of the stem and eat thru it so it topples.

Take two toothpicks and put them alongside the base of the stem on two sides and push it into the ground whenever you transplant those with stems. The cutworm can't curl around the stem with the toothpicks in the way. Works great.

Wyldflower...Great pics of your garden. It looks like you are doing a good job.
I just learned something about herbs which is probably why my basil died. They only need half as much watering as veggies so don't overwater your herbs.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/27/2010, 11:13 am

Wyldflower wrote:I love PESTO! ... and Caprese Salad (Sliced tomato, fresh mozzarella and basil, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar).

Oh oh OH..... I have a summer pasta thing I like that is close to your salad!

I dress angle hair with garlicky-pesto and balsamic. Then, instead slicing the tomatoes, I cube them (Romas are easy but anything fresh is better) and chiffinad (sp? Roll leaves tight, slice thin) the basil. Toss it into cold pesto-pasta with cubes of (fresh is best) mozzarella. Toasted walnuts and a bit of pepper make a nice finish.

Deborah ....mmmmmm
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum