Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Using city water, how does your comsumption increase Toplef10Using city water, how does your comsumption increase 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Using city water, how does your comsumption increase I22gcj10Using city water, how does your comsumption increase 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Using city water, how does your comsumption increase Toplef10Using city water, how does your comsumption increase 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Using city water, how does your comsumption increase I22gcj10Using city water, how does your comsumption increase 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Using city water, how does your comsumption increase

5 posters

Go down

Using city water, how does your comsumption increase Empty Using city water, how does your comsumption increase

Post  Judy McConnell 10/23/2017, 9:47 am

Am curious, my utility company said I had excessive water use in September.  It was a very dry month in Virginia and yes, I watered quite a bit (even with the chlorine, etc).

Can you guess how much extra water that you use during dry periods?  I haven't yet had someone check for leaks in my water lines but this might be an extra expense that my gardening doesn't need.  Saving every extra penny for garden supplies is more important than paying someone to do something that might not be necessary.

I hear no water running in the house like would be IF one of the toilets was leaking.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Using city water, how does your comsumption increase Empty Re: Using city water, how does your comsumption increase

Post  No_Such_Reality 10/23/2017, 10:23 am

How big is your property and how many CCF or gallons did you use?

Excessive water charges are kind of a trendy political way to tax without saying the tax word, IMHO. Here in SoCal, water allocation I basically calculated at number of people in an apartment and any watering of land is "excessive"
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Using city water, how does your comsumption increase Empty Re: Using city water, how does your comsumption increase

Post  countrynaturals 10/23/2017, 11:05 am

Warning! Shock coming - - - our water bill minimum is about $22 a month. It went up to over $200 last summer, due entirely to watering the yard - - - no we don't have a lawn. Yes, Hubby does over-water. Never during drought years, however. I think $78 was our highest bill back then.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 10/23/2017, 12:35 pm

I don't know what the water meters are like today, but when I was a kid my father tested our water to make sure there were no leaks.  So he read the meter in the morning, then we couldn't use the water during the day, and then he read the meter again at the end of the day.  He found there were no water leaks based on the fact that the meter reading did not change during the day.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 10/23/2017, 1:49 pm

Yolos -thanks so much for the suggestion to check the water meter - saves a plumber bill. 

My utility company says I've been using something like 200 gal/day - sounds a bit excessive but with bathing, etc AND the garden - might be close?
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 10/23/2017, 2:39 pm

That's not a lot.

The older standard for water billing used to be HCF notated as either HCF or CCF on the bill.  It stands for hundred cubic foot.  The equivalent of 748 gallon per HCF. 

You're using 8 HCF a month which, IMHO, isn't much.   However, most water agencies base their usage levels off of the number of people in the house.  Efficient indoor use is around 50 gallons/day per person just for indoor use of .  Slightly higher with one or two.

You can estimate here:  http://www.home-water-works.org/calculator

Once you complete the info, you can answer questions about specific items like showers/baths/laundry loads, outdoor watering. When you're done, you can get a report page that will compare your results to an average and waterwise home with the same number of people and landscape as you for your zip code area.

The basic nutshell is urban planning is focused on indoor use, consumption and people count, so if it's just one or two of you living in the house and you're trying to water outdoor landscaping, you're kind of out of luck.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/23/2017, 3:57 pm

I don't think 200 gallons per day for 2 people is excessive during the summer for a detached house with some landscaping, especially with a veggie garden. I completed the survey NSR posted. Interesting. Growing your own food on-site eliminates transportation costs. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 10/23/2017, 7:10 pm

Thanks so much for your input, guys.  I'll fill out the form but think I'm on target with garden watering.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down