Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Toplef10 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... I22gcj10 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by plantoid Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Spring Optimism
by OhioGardener 11/22/2020, 12:45 pm

» N&C Midwest: November/December 2020
by Scorpio Rising 11/22/2020, 9:37 am

» Recommended chippers for small-scale composting?
by markqz 11/21/2020, 10:36 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Mikesgardn 11/21/2020, 8:35 pm

» Update on Marie's mom
by sanderson 11/21/2020, 6:06 pm

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by Scorpio Rising 11/19/2020, 11:22 pm

» Here's our latest email and giveaway!
by Scorpio Rising 11/19/2020, 11:20 pm

» Seeing ads again?
by plantoid 11/19/2020, 7:42 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 11/19/2020, 6:04 am

» How to: Care for your garden in the winter
by OhioGardener 11/15/2020, 11:22 am

» garlic varieties
by Scorpio Rising 11/14/2020, 6:36 pm

» heriloom seeds
by p14shooter 11/14/2020, 6:30 pm

» Growing Artichoke
by markqz 11/14/2020, 3:50 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 11/14/2020, 3:41 pm

» Adding a "trowel full" of compost? Really?
by Scorpio Rising 11/13/2020, 7:04 pm

» Guinea Pig Bedding
by plantoid 11/12/2020, 5:42 pm

» Greetings from New York
by OhioGardener 11/12/2020, 12:53 pm

» First frost of the year reference thread
by Yardslave 11/11/2020, 8:17 pm

» Space Spinach
by AtlantaTerry 11/11/2020, 8:13 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing October, November, December 2020
by Kelejan 11/11/2020, 6:13 pm

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by Scorpio Rising 11/5/2020, 9:20 pm

» Hello!
by 3kfasnacht 11/4/2020, 10:45 pm

» Garlic in Central Ohio
by Scorpio Rising 11/4/2020, 9:26 pm

» turnip/rutabaga trouble
by sanderson 11/4/2020, 4:05 pm

» FULL GARDEN TOUR (Both SFG and Non-SFG)
by sanderson 11/4/2020, 4:00 pm

» Bokashi
by sanderson 11/4/2020, 3:41 pm

» 2020 SFG in Brooks, GA
by sanderson 11/4/2020, 3:07 pm

» New Fall 2020 Newsletter is here!
by SFGHQSTAFF 11/3/2020, 1:10 pm

» New England, November, 2020
by RJARPCGP 11/1/2020, 12:33 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post new topic   Reply to topic

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  Browndog on 8/15/2017, 1:17 pm

I'd like to first start with referring to a fantastic Doctor. He gives classes for his clients. They are filmed and put on youtube. If you watch him. You'll find out just how much I mean that it's more like surviving these days. Wasn't always so. We ain't no health nuts. Maybe we could be called: Common Horse Sense? 
avatar
Browndog

Male Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-15
Location : Black Hills of South Dakota

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  Browndog on 8/15/2017, 1:45 pm

More about me specifically. 
I've run three marathons in my life. One was a baby ultra at 50K. That baby ultra was 14 months after Diabetes almost killed me causing weight loss. I have cured diabetes with lifestyle. I admit, I was sure banging my head against the wall. I know much more now. 

I've had awful experience with Doctors around here. Just awful. 
When I almost died from diabetes. That weight loss was a total of 120 pounds lost before it stopped. Believe me.... I was eaten up badly. Everything, bones, muscles, organs, everything. Same doctor who screamed at me: "Look at this meter! It says 500!" That same doctor said a couple months later when I was looking for job rehabilitation help: "He never had diabetes. His weight loss was from exercise." ... Well thank you! 

After than I was in Sioux Falls for a couple years. I did have some good dedicated doctors. Yet, they were restricted on what they could do. They would admit it. They'd encourage my alternative means to health. 

2.5 years ago. I had a bad fall on ice. I'm good at falling on ice. But this one time caught me by surprise. I twisted my spine. I ended up with bad pain in my legs. Went to two doctors. Both gave me drugs for High Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, and Pain. They both told me; 'we'll worry about he leg pain later.' When that's why I made an appointment to see them. Took all three drugs and almost had a heart attack. Could have been called a mild heart attack. I threw the drugs in the trash. Haven't seen a doctor since. 

I found out for myself about my leg pain. It's fibromyalgia. I'm treating it now. 

I also experienced Total Body Meltdown early spring this year. Had to do something. Went back to researching. Which has led me here. 
I also addressed EMF/RF in my home. I was sleeping with my head on the opposite side of the wall from a couple electric smart meters. They were killing me. I've done other things on RF. But that one was the worst, by far. 
I found out about some things we are lacking badly; 
Water... Most of us are dehydrated. Drink half your body weight in ounces of water each day. 200 pound man should drink 100 ounces. Add sea salt. That in itself dropped 35 pounds off me in three weeks. Found out my body was trying to save all the water and fat it could because I was dehydrated. We need to filter 'city' water. 
Iodine.... We're hurting badly on this. We need far more than what the government suggestions are. 
Magnesium... Should read the book: The Magnesium Miracle. I do follow Dr. Dean's program. I'm happy with it. She admits. It ain't magnesium alone. It's following a complete life change in eating, habits, and all. We are hurting on magnesium badly. Dr. Carolyn Dean talks much like Dr. John Bergman. Referred to in my OP. 
Omega 3's we need badly. 
Vitamin D we need badly. K2 also... works with D and magnesium. 
Minerals in general. We ignore it too much. We aren't getting minerals like we did many years ago. Sea Salt or Himalayan salt is great for their minerals. 

So anyhow. I do this out of need. I'm forced to. Medical (medicine I call them) Doctors don't help. So I research and practice. 
Dr. John Bergman got me into juicing, canning, eating good food, and a garden. I'm just learning all this right now. 
It's more Survival rather than Health Nut.
avatar
Browndog

Male Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-15
Location : Black Hills of South Dakota

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  countrynaturals on 8/15/2017, 4:28 pm

countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5692
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  Browndog on 8/15/2017, 11:12 pm

I appreciate the link. Always like to read more about health and diabetes. 
It sounds like much of what I've been reading lately. There is a renaissance of sorts, erupting right under the Medicine Doctors and Pharmaceutical industry. The renaissance is focused on natural healing. It works. The body is much better at healing itself than the Medicine Doctors could ever hope to be.
avatar
Browndog

Male Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-15
Location : Black Hills of South Dakota

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  RoOsTeR on 8/16/2017, 7:49 am

@Browndog wrote:The renaissance is focused on natural healing. It works. The body is much better at healing itself than the Medicine Doctors could ever hope to be.

Proof. If natural healing was the cure all, like the video you posted suggested, only a few unfortunate 3% of the population would suffer from ailments. While I do think the body has incredible healing powers, I also know modern medicine saves life. With 2 siblings with type 1 diabetes, I think it's irresponsible to think (or promote) they could survive without proper medication. Can they make their lives and health better by taking care of themselves? Absolutely. But they will be diabetic for life. That is fact.
That said, people want miracles. They take horrible care of themselves. They eat poorly. Don't sleep enough. Drink to much and live sedentary lifestyles. Some sit at a desk all day, then come home and sit on the couch and watch several hours of tv while eating and drinking junk. Others work hard, cart kids around, and live a hustle bustle lifestyle, but they still eat poorly, not properly fueling their body. They don't get good healthy exercise, or sleep enough. So their health isn't much better.
Then, they wake up one day with issues. Heart problems, diabetes, joint and range of motion issues. These people ignored the signs and problems for years. While some health problems can be chalked up to hereditary, and bad genes, most folks just chose to live like crap and then it smacks them in the face. They get to a point where they need drugs and medications to survive.
There are things people can do to help themselves. Sometimes sleep apnea can be resolved by losing weight and taking better care of your body. Same with type 2 diabetes.
Proper diet and exercise can reverse and make some ailments go bye bye, and make the body a much better shell to live in. I don't think there is any denying that. I think it is however, irresponsible to self diagnose, and make medical decisions on ones own. If an individual is on medications for a reason, and there is adequate proof that the condition can be reversed by taking better care of ones self. That is excellent! But should also be properly monitored by a healthcare professional.
Curing (and suggesting cures) and diagnosing with youtube and the interwebs is not wise.

____________________________

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  Browndog on 8/16/2017, 11:11 am

Rooster... As humbly and constructive as I can put it. Please.... Take what I said in this thread as a staring point to research further. Find out more. 
Using this reason here or that reason there to make the statements of 'irresponsibility', without looking further into the info. Is in itself, irresponsible. 

You should read a book by Dr. Carolyn Dean; Death by Modern Medicine. It is a inside look at what is going on. It's bad! There is bad corruption going on. Behind it all is the Pharmaceutical industry. Trillions of dollars at stake. 
If you bother to look at Dr. Bergman's videos. He matches up with truth I've found elsewhere. Elsewhere like Dr. Carolyn Dean. 
All of this stuff has matched up with my personal experience. I've kept saying to myself: "So that's why!" I've been forced to self diagnose one medical problem. All the doctors did was make things worse. While ignoring my medical problem. 
I myself, am looking for a Doctor around here like Dr. Bergman. 
I don't want to even start to try to post what I've learned in many books, documentaries, etc. about this subject. This was only meant as a starting point. For people to learn further. To find out. 
There is definitely a renaissance erupting. Getting away from GMO, pesticides, and other toxins is part of it. People setting up their own garden is part of it. They are telling us to do that. Which led me here. 
Rooster.... If you were to even watch that one video above. You would find out it isn't about irresponsible. It is very responsible. As humbly as I can put it...You wouldn't be making the statements you did.
avatar
Browndog

Male Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-15
Location : Black Hills of South Dakota

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  countrynaturals on 8/16/2017, 11:50 am

countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5692
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  RoOsTeR on 8/16/2017, 12:31 pm


You're proving my point. It's not rocket science to eat properly, exercise, get off the couch and start moving to save your life. I bet he was told for years to take better care of himself.
People don't want to accept the facts till death comes knockin.

____________________________

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  RoOsTeR on 8/16/2017, 12:35 pm

While I understand many health issues are unavoidable, some choose to place blame wherever they can, except upon themselves.


Last edited by RoOsTeR on 8/16/2017, 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

____________________________

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  countrynaturals on 8/16/2017, 1:11 pm

@RoOsTeR wrote:

You're proving my point.  It's not rocket science to eat properly, exercise,  get off the couch and start moving to save your life. I bet he was told for years to take better care of himself.
People don't want to accept the facts till death comes knockin.
And it's not a "one size fits all" solution. My hubby wasn't as bad off as this guy, but close enough. That answer would not have motivated him -- he's not a dog person. OTOH, he is a world class cook. The Joel Fuhrman book is all about home cooking with fresh veggies, which I love to grow. Hubby grabbed onto that idea and ran with it. We are now eating the most awesome homemade soups you could image, loaded with kale and other stuff from my garden. He lost 30 lb (20 more to go) got off his blood pressure meds, and dropped his blood sugar by 50 points. What started it all was high blood sugar and all the meds made him sick. He has great medical with the VA and excellent doctors, but they couldn't help with this problem, even though they tried. He had to find his own solution, with their support. He checks in with them and has blood-work done about 3 times a year. 

The whole problem with good health is that we take it for granted when we're young, then, when it's no longer "free" most of us rebel and refuse to work for it. We have to "hit the wall" like the guy in the link, and sometimes by then it's too late. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5692
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  countrynaturals on 8/16/2017, 1:19 pm

@Browndog wrote:There is definitely a renaissance erupting. Getting away from GMO, pesticides, and other toxins is part of it. People setting up their own garden is part of it. They are telling us to do that. Which led me here. 
Youtube video about Gardening for Good Health
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5692
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  CapeCoddess on 8/16/2017, 1:43 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
And it's not a "one size fits all" solution. My hubby wasn't as bad off as this guy, but close enough. That answer would not have motivated him -- he's not a dog person. OTOH, he is a world class cook. The Joel Fuhrman book is all about home cooking with fresh veggies, which I love to grow. Hubby grabbed onto that idea and ran with it. We are now eating the most awesome homemade soups you could image, loaded with kale and other stuff from my garden. He lost 30 lb (20 more to go) got off his blood pressure meds, and dropped his blood sugar by 50 points. What started it all was high blood sugar and all the meds made him sick. He has great medical with the VA and excellent doctors, but they couldn't help with this problem, even though they tried. He had to find his own solution, with their support. He checks in with them and has blood-work done about 3 times a year. 

WOW! You 2 are doing phenomenally well!!! And the results prove it.

I do get physical injuries from stupid moves now and then. For instance, besides not being sick for about 20 yrs now, I credit this way of eating with my speedy hip replacement recovery. (I was a runner and wore out the original hip running on pavement and tarmac Rolling Eyes even tho I had been warned). I was out in the garden 2 days after the operation (with cane), and driving and back at work exactly 2 weeks after. Docs told me it would take 6 wks to work and drive again, and wouldn't give me clearance to do it any sooner.

Pulled a back muscle a few weeks ago (stupid move on my part) that had me on crutches and lingered for too long. I got serious after 2 wks and went on an all alkaline diet. It healed in 2 days, and I was off the crutches. Granted, maybe it would have healed in the same time anyway, but I knew the alkaline wouldn't hurt so I did it.

Can you tell I have a healthy appreciation for the placebo affect? Wink Whatever works...
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6824
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 64
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  Browndog on 8/16/2017, 2:14 pm

Oldest lawyer trick in the book. When you can't attack the testimony. You attack the witness. 

Yes, it is getting to the point of rocket science. You can go into a regular grocery store. Buy the best food they have in there. It's all loaded with pesticides. It's genetically modified. Any meat has had drugs injected/fed to force it to grow fast. And this is supposed to be 'eating good'? 
Right now the government has a plan to force all adults to take 16 vaccinations, in 2020. It has been proven that they literally created autism with vaccines. And the government covered it up before it happened. They knew it would! There's a movie out about it called: Vaxxed. I won't get into what else has happened with vaccines. And the government allows it. Also, the pharmaceutical companies who create the vaccines cannot be held responsible. It's the law. 
And yes, most illnesses can be avoided. To argue against that is laying blame on others. 
I could go on and on and on. But the going on is pointed toward constructive. To help people.
avatar
Browndog

Male Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-15
Location : Black Hills of South Dakota

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  Browndog on 8/16/2017, 2:20 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
Can you tell I have a healthy appreciation for the placebo affect?  Wink   Whatever works...

Hehe.... Did you know that they have quit using placebo's in clinical trials of drugs? They now only compare one drug to another. The reason? The placebo's out performed the drugs! And they're selling the drugs with fancy advertisements.
avatar
Browndog

Male Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-15
Location : Black Hills of South Dakota

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  RoOsTeR on 8/16/2017, 3:05 pm


A bag of nacho cheese pesticides and a bowlful of deep-fried gmos please...

@countrynaturals I hear ya. I know how it is. I've lived it and guilty of it myself. My age ticking up along with my waist and man boob size. Every year my physical would be met with bloodwork that just kept trickling downward. Every year I would get advice and every year I would basically continue to ignore it. Fortunately for me, I actually did something about it to start correcting the problems before I hit the stage 2 diabetic part. Where is where I was headed.
In most cases, I don't think it's fair to place to the blame on the healthcare field. In most cases, individuals are placed on meds due to their own lack of concern of well being.
How would it work, and who would be to blame if you went to the doctor and he said "you have high blood pressure, you're 35 lbs overweight, you're type 2 diabetic and you'll be lucky to make it through the week. You're so out of shape, I hope you make it to your physical next year. See ya"
I guess I just don't follow the logic that a doctor gets to a point where he has no choice to step in to save a persons life, while the patient had the ability to help themselves for years but chose to ignore what was going to happen.
Generally speaking, poor health doesn't happen overnight.

____________________________

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  RoOsTeR on 8/16/2017, 3:18 pm

...and oh yeah. "If the glove don't fit!"... What a Face

____________________________

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  donnainzone5 on 8/16/2017, 4:10 pm

I generally avoid most processed foods, with a few notable exceptions, such as certain canned or frozen veggies with no added chemicals or sugars, and a few condiments.  

I do, however, cheat occasionally, especially when I need to pamper myself, such as after my recent back surgery.  My "sin" of choice is Haagen-Dazs White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle ice cream.  

To have a reasonably sufficient supply of blanched/frozen veggies this winter, I must hurry to get my fall crop planted.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2507
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 73
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  Browndog on 8/16/2017, 4:19 pm

Many years ago. Work became too demanding to continue training to run marathons. I had run two of them in one year. We got to the point we were working all the time. 
I worked out of town a whole lot. That's a recipe for diabetes. 
1) Always working. No time off. Last year I worked there. When I went on vacation in October. I had taken 7 days off work the entire year. That included holidays. 
2) Always eating restaurant food. 
3) Never enough rest. Poor rest due to strange beds and light in the hotel rooms. We worked 12 hour shifts. 
4) Never any time for exercise. 12 hour shifts don't leave time for much at all. 

I ended up with Diabetes that was causing weight loss. It is something else to have a doctor tell you that what you have has no treatment. Either it stops. Or it doesn't and you die. I lost a total of 120 pounds before it stopped. I was eaten up badly at that point. Everything.... muscles, bones, organs, everything. I was in bad shape. 
Now I made a ton of money. I had a six figure income in 1998. I checked with those guys in 2007. They were making a quarter million a year. But they had no life. They were killing themselves. There comes a time when money doesn't mean anything anymore. I came to that point. 

I did not stop the diabetes weight loss. I did rehabilitate. I stopped diabetes. Retrained my endocrine system. I had lost everything. I did this with little money. Had a tough time and made it to the point of doctors knowing me as: "A History of Diabetes" only. 

Now I know so much. Much better off diet wise. I even have hair growing back where I was going bald. 
I have no need to pervert the truth on this subject. The reality is; Greed is killing us through toxins, drugs, pesticides, etc. They don't care. It's gotten bad. Real bad.
avatar
Browndog

Male Posts : 28
Join date : 2017-08-15
Location : Black Hills of South Dakota

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  RoOsTeR on 8/16/2017, 5:03 pm

@Browndog wrote:Many years ago. Work became too demanding to continue training to run marathons. I had run two of them in one year. We got to the point we were working all the time. 
I worked out of town a whole lot. That's a recipe for diabetes. 
1) Always working. No time off. Last year I worked there. When I went on vacation in October. I had taken 7 days off work the entire year. That included holidays. 
2) Always eating restaurant food. 
3) Never enough rest. Poor rest due to strange beds and light in the hotel rooms. We worked 12 hour shifts. 
4) Never any time for exercise. 12 hour shifts don't leave time for much at all. 


Now I made a ton of money. I had a six figure income in 1998. I checked with those guys in 2007. They were making a quarter million a year. But they had no life. They were killing themselves. There comes a time when money doesn't mean anything anymore. I came to that point. 



I have no need to pervert the truth on this subject. The reality is; Greed is killing us through toxins, drugs, pesticides, etc. They don't care. It's gotten bad. Real bad.

I guess I'm confused at this point. Was it the poor diet and busy lifestyle at the beginning of your post, or the the greed through "everyone's out to get you" theory at the end of your post that caused your diabetes? thinking

____________________________

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  RoOsTeR on 8/16/2017, 5:31 pm

@donnainzone5 wrote:I generally avoid most processed foods, with a few notable exceptions, such as certain canned or frozen veggies with no added chemicals or sugars, and a few condiments.  

I do, however, cheat occasionally, especially when I need to pamper myself, such as after my recent back surgery.  My "sin" of choice is Haagen-Dazs White Chocolate Raspberry Truffle ice cream.  

To have a reasonably sufficient supply of blanched/frozen veggies this winter, I must hurry to get my fall crop planted.

I'm pretty sure it's a well know fact that Haagen-Daz makes everything better  It's actually more like surviving.... these days... 3170584802 Of course if I'm really hurtin, I might have to break out the hard stuff. Like Blue Bell cyclops

____________________________

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  donnainzone5 on 8/16/2017, 6:07 pm

RoOsTeR,

I also love potato chips, but prefer no more than 50mg salt; none is even better.  I recently treated myself to a 110mg version, and nearly barfed.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2507
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 73
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  sfg4uKim on 8/16/2017, 6:18 pm

I've lost 40 lbs. since January (30 of it in the last 14 weeks). I was actually EXCITED to go for my annual physical a couple of weeks ago! Here are the results. I no longer have high cholesterol/triglycerides, no more high blood pressure and I'm no longer considered pre-diabetic! PLUS my fibromyalgia and osteo arthritis pain is MINIMAL.

If you're on Facebook you can join me at Healthy Kim where I give tips and recipes.

Since I posted this on Aug. 2nd I'm down to 131 lbs. I was 132 when I got out of the Air Force . . . in 1982.

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Correc10

____________________________

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle


sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U



 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054
Join date : 2010-09-30
Age : 62
Location : Glen Burnie, MD

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  donnainzone5 on 8/16/2017, 6:26 pm

I lost 15 lbs. while in the hospital and rehab--three weeks total.

After back surgery, everything edible or drinkable smelled and tasted awful, so I ate very little.  Also, I was anemic and dehydrated.
.
It's great to be back home with the cats and tending my SFG!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2507
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 73
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  RoOsTeR on 8/16/2017, 7:18 pm

@donnainzone5 wrote:RoOsTeR,

I also love potato chips, but prefer no more than 50mg salt; none is even better.  I recently treated myself to a 110mg version, and nearly barfed.

I know the feeling! And I REALLY hate to admit, but I don't think any chips or even french fries for that matter, don't taste as good as they once did when they used to be fried in trans-fats lol.
It's a much better feeling though to be healthy. Or at least try to be!
Always better to be at home, and happy that you're feeling better.

@sfg4uKim wrote:I've lost 40 lbs. since January (30 of it in the last 14 weeks). I was actually EXCITED to go for my annual physical a couple of weeks ago! Here are the results. I no longer have high cholesterol/triglycerides, no more high blood pressure and I'm no longer considered pre-diabetic! PLUS my fibromyalgia and osteo arthritis pain is MINIMAL.

If you're on Facebook you can join me at Healthy Kim where I give tips and recipes.

Since I posted this on Aug. 2nd I'm down to 131 lbs. I was 132 when I got out of the Air Force . . . in 1982.
WoW. That's excellent! Congrats to you! The numbers don't lie. It makes you feel so much better and builds confidence. You're pre-fight weight! Wink Super impressive.

____________________________

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316
Join date : 2011-10-04
Location : Colorado Front Range

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  countrynaturals on 8/16/2017, 8:45 pm

@CapeCoddess wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
And it's not a "one size fits all" solution. My hubby wasn't as bad off as this guy, but close enough. That answer would not have motivated him -- he's not a dog person. OTOH, he is a world class cook. The Joel Fuhrman book is all about home cooking with fresh veggies, which I love to grow. Hubby grabbed onto that idea and ran with it. We are now eating the most awesome homemade soups you could image, loaded with kale and other stuff from my garden. He lost 30 lb (20 more to go) got off his blood pressure meds, and dropped his blood sugar by 50 points. What started it all was high blood sugar and all the meds made him sick. He has great medical with the VA and excellent doctors, but they couldn't help with this problem, even though they tried. He had to find his own solution, with their support. He checks in with them and has blood-work done about 3 times a year. 

WOW!  You 2 are doing phenomenally well!!!  And the results prove it.  

I do get physical injuries from stupid moves now and then.  For instance, besides not being sick for about 20 yrs now, I credit this way of eating with my speedy hip replacement recovery.  (I was a runner and wore out the original hip running on pavement and tarmac Rolling Eyes even tho I had been warned).  I was out in the garden 2 days after the operation (with cane), and driving and back at work exactly 2 weeks after.  Docs told me it would take 6 wks to work and drive again, and wouldn't give me clearance to do it any sooner.

Pulled a back muscle a few weeks ago (stupid move on my part) that had me on crutches and lingered for too long.   I got serious after 2 wks and went on an all alkaline diet.  It healed in 2 days, and I was off the crutches.  Granted, maybe it would have healed in the same time anyway, but I knew the alkaline wouldn't hurt so I did it.

Can you tell I have a healthy appreciation for the placebo affect?  Wink   Whatever works...
 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... 3170584802 Good job! I know what you mean about placebos. Rolling Eyes The opposite works for me, too. When I find out something is bad for me, I gradually stop liking it. Now there are exceptions of course, like hot fudge sundaes, but nobody's perfect. Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5692
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

 It's actually more like surviving.... these days... Empty Re: It's actually more like surviving.... these days...

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


Post new topic   Reply to topic
 
Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum