Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 Toplef10first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 I22gcj10first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 Toplef10first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 I22gcj10first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First time growing corn

+8
Turan
Scorpio Rising
SwampTroll
donnainzone5
Ginger Blue
yolos
sanderson
bigblue94
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 Empty Re: First time growing corn

Post  brianj555 9/29/2017, 8:53 pm

This doesn't look good.  Is it normal or what does it mean?
first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 Img_4013
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 Empty Re: First time growing corn

Post  RoOsTeR 9/30/2017, 11:07 am

brianj555 wrote:This doesn't look good.  Is it normal or what does it mean?

Just out of curiosity...I've noticed all your pics load sideways. Usually this is the case when using a mobile device in landscape mode. The image is saved in that native format and loads that way with the forum software. It's not a forum bug. The software is actually performing as it should.
There are several ways to correct. In the past I would go in and load the images on my own computer and correct and save then load back up. It is much easier and less time consuming for the user to either not take pics in landscape mode if they know they are going to be loaded directly to the forum. OR use their computers imaging editor and rotate and save the image before upload.
This makes it much easier for all to view. Very Happy

first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 9/30/2017, 11:41 am

RoOsTeR wrote:
brianj555 wrote:This doesn't look good.  Is it normal or what does it mean?

Just out of curiosity...I've noticed all your pics load sideways. Usually this is the case when using a mobile device in landscape mode. The image is saved in that native format and loads that way with the forum software. It's not a forum bug. The software is actually performing as it should.
There are several ways to correct. In the past I would go in and load the images on my own computer and correct and save then load back up. It is much easier and less time consuming for the user to either not take pics in landscape mode if they know they are going to be loaded directly to the forum. OR use their computers imaging editor and rotate and save the image before upload.
This makes it much easier for all to view. Very Happy
I have been wondering why it does that.  See I use a pc too, but not to take and upload the photos.  I wasn't sure how to fix that.  I will be trying to correct that in my photo settings.  It has been bothering me as well. So if I lock the orientation when I take the pic will that solve the problem?
Can you tell me about the corn silks rooster?
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 10/13/2017, 6:58 pm

Ok.  The silks were brown at the top , so I shucked this one affraid.  Obviously something didn't go right.  Would it have continued to develop or was it destined for tinyness??palefirst time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 Img_4012stalk looked similar to this one.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/13/2017, 7:44 pm

Hmmm, looks like incomplete pollination to me:

• Incomplete kernel development; ears partially filled with ripe kernels; shriveled kernels. Each individual kernel must be pollinated; kernels that don’t receive pollen will not fill out. Pollen from male tassels must reach the female silks. Several possible causes: (1) Poor pollination can happen when not enough plants are planted; plant at least 3 to 4 rows at least 8 feet long. (2) Hot weather or high winds during pollination. Pollen sheds 2 to 3 weeks before harvest. (3) Insufficient soil moisture; keep corn evenly moist especially from silking to harvest. (4) Inadequate fertilizer or soil fertility; add aged compost to planting beds. Check for potassium deficiency. Plant varieties adapted to your area. (5) Birds are eating kernels; put paper bags over ears after pollination.

Harvesttotable.com

Did you have a “block” of corn?  To pollinate?  
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 10/13/2017, 10:35 pm

No 
Scorpio Rising wrote:Hmmm, looks like incomplete pollination to me:

• Incomplete kernel development; ears partially filled with ripe kernels; shriveled kernels. Each individual kernel must be pollinated; kernels that don’t receive pollen will not fill out. Pollen from male tassels must reach the female silks. Several possible causes: (1) Poor pollination can happen when not enough plants are planted; plant at least 3 to 4 rows at least 8 feet long. (2) Hot weather or high winds during pollination. Pollen sheds 2 to 3 weeks before harvest. (3) Insufficient soil moisture; keep corn evenly moist especially from silking to harvest. (4) Inadequate fertilizer or soil fertility; add aged compost to planting beds. Check for potassium deficiency. Plant varieties adapted to your area. (5) Birds are eating kernels; put paper bags over ears after pollination.

Harvesttotable.com

Did you have a “block” of corn?  To pollinate?  
No.  I planted 16 plants. 8 on one side 8 on the other side of a 4 foot. They got crowded by cucumbers and tomatoes.  I had no clue what to do when I planted.
brianj555
brianj555

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/14/2017, 3:07 am

Brian,  I could count the number of developed kernels I got this summer without taking my shoes off!  Razz  I planted 2 rows for show-and-tell over the fence, so I knew they wouldn't be successful.  Then they fell over, twice!   Shocked

I think you planned 16 squares for corn next summer.  ??  you should have better success with pollination in a block.  Caution: Figure out how you will keep them upright with some kind of surround/support.  The lower kernels are the first to be pollinated.  The upper ones are pollinated later as their silks appear.

My first year 2013 grown in two 1' x 3' boxes: first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 Corn_h10

Second year 2014 grown in a 2.5' x 2' box with support: first time growing - First time growing corn - Page 2 Corn_h11

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2