Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Toplef10My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester I22gcj10My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Toplef10My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester I22gcj10My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:46 pm

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Today at 11:24 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener Today at 7:06 am

» Calling all juice bar waste composters...
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 11:26 pm

» Hello From the Kern River Valley from Kernville, Ca
by whitecapps Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Yardslave Yesterday at 11:54 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:26 am

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by middlemamma 2/24/2024, 6:24 pm

» Prefab compost question
by DMann 2/24/2024, 12:37 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 2/24/2024, 7:44 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 2/23/2024, 5:39 pm

» Hello from Surrey
by sanderson 2/23/2024, 12:29 am

» Kitty Control
by sanderson 2/22/2024, 10:49 pm

» Western Mount/High Plains: Seed Planting Dates
by Turan 2/22/2024, 4:07 pm

» Jjean59 first SFG - 2024
by Scorpio Rising 2/22/2024, 11:00 am

» Winter Lag - Waiting for Sprimg
by sanderson 2/21/2024, 4:36 pm

» TDs 2024 SFG
by Turan 2/21/2024, 12:09 am

» Hello! From GA! Newbie
by sanderson 2/20/2024, 9:53 pm

» Sweet Potato Slips - Buy or Grow?
by sanderson 2/20/2024, 1:27 pm

» Seeds 'n Such Free Shipping
by sanderson 2/20/2024, 1:09 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 2/19/2024, 5:46 pm

» Hi from Central Oregon
by donnainzone5 2/18/2024, 5:50 pm

» Mealybugs?
by OhioGardener 2/17/2024, 11:02 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by OhioGardener 2/17/2024, 10:59 am

» Second Life for Determinate Tomatoes?
by OhioGardener 2/16/2024, 7:35 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 2/9/2024, 10:52 pm

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by sanderson 2/5/2024, 5:34 pm

» Homemade Seed Starting Mix
by sanderson 2/4/2024, 4:05 pm

» Stop warping in pine planks
by sanderson 2/4/2024, 3:56 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

+3
sanderson
trolleydriver
Roxystargazer
7 posters

Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Empty My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Roxystargazer 6/7/2017, 9:20 pm

I know I got started a little late but I'm quite proud of my 1st garden.  Things worked out as we had bushes removed and it looked like a great location...come to find out from the women we bought the house from this is the same spot her husband had his gardens years ago Smile  Most plants were purchased at a local garden store.  I'm glad I started with just 2 blocks as I'm already learning a lot.  But right now I'm at the hard part (for me)...I get so excited for the planting but right now there is nothing to do so I catch myself just going and looking at my plants daily lol. Here's my little garden.  Thanks for the kindness and support you have already showed me.
My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Garden11
Roxystargazer
Roxystargazer

Female Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 45
Location : Rochester, NY

Back to top Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Empty Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  trolleydriver 6/7/2017, 9:36 pm

You are off to a terrific start Roxy. I think you are doing the right thing beginning with two boxes the first year, That is what I did.  But watch out. The SFG bug will get you and you will have the urge to build more boxes next year or sooner. I'm speaking from experience.
avatar
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 76
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Empty Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Roxystargazer 6/7/2017, 9:38 pm

trolleydriver wrote:You are off to a terrific start Roxy. I think you are doing the right thing beginning with two boxes the first year, That is what I did.  But watch out. The SFG bug will get you and you will have the urge to build more boxes next year or sooner. I'm speaking from experience.
HAHAHA!!!  We already have plants for an herb bed and a 3rd veg bed so yea the bug is caught.
Roxystargazer
Roxystargazer

Female Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 45
Location : Rochester, NY

Back to top Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Empty Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  sanderson 6/9/2017, 2:28 pm

Roxy, I tweaked the name of your topic so you can keep it as your personal thread. The bug for more beds is a common affliction of ANSFG! Very Happy

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21454
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 75
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Empty Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Roxystargazer 6/9/2017, 6:47 pm

sanderson wrote:Roxy,  I tweaked the name of your topic so you can keep it as your personal thread.  The bug for more beds is a common affliction of ANSFG! Very Happy
Thank you! I don't do much I'm forums lol
Roxystargazer
Roxystargazer

Female Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 45
Location : Rochester, NY

Back to top Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Empty Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/9/2017, 9:49 pm

Roxystargazer wrote:
sanderson wrote:Roxy,  I tweaked the name of your topic so you can keep it as your personal thread.  The bug for more beds is a common affliction of ANSFG! Very Happy
Thank you! I don't do much I'm forums lol
I am impressed!  Nice job!  Lots of learning!  Keep detailed notes.  And keep us posted  flower
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8654
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 62
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Empty Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  MrBooker 6/10/2017, 6:18 am

Roxystargazer wrote:I know I got started a little late but I'm quite proud of my 1st garden.  Things worked out as we had bushes removed and it looked like a great location...come to find out from the women we bought the house from this is the same spot her husband had his gardens years ago Smile  Most plants were purchased at a local garden store.  I'm glad I started with just 2 blocks as I'm already learning a lot.  But right now I'm at the hard part (for me)...I get so excited for the planting but right now there is nothing to do so I catch myself just going and looking at my plants daily lol. Here's my little garden.  Thanks for the kindness and support you have already showed me.
My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Garden11
Great job Roxy. Everything looks so neat and it appears you have the spacing right. I tend to over crowed mine.
I hope you plan on a fall garden. You can extend the growing season into the winter with hoops and plastic.

I grew carrots last year all winter long with LOTS of mulch and plastic over them. It's a great reward to go out and harvest things like carrots, cabbage, turnips and parsnips in February when it's 8 degrees F.

Don't let old man winter scare you off.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 729
Join date : 2016-03-19
Age : 77
Location : 62260

Back to top Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Empty RE: MY 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  newbeone 6/10/2017, 5:01 pm

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on catching the Bug! So what do you have planted in them very nice looking beds?
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202
Join date : 2016-09-18
Age : 82
Location : San Antonio, Tx

Back to top Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Empty Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Roxystargazer 6/10/2017, 6:53 pm

newbeone wrote:Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on catching the Bug! So what do you have planted in them very nice looking beds?
Thank you! I have 2 tomatoes, 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, bush beans, 4 broccoli, 4 cauliflower, 1 mellon, 1 cucumber, spinach, red sail, mescalin, geranium, nasturtiums, romain, and 6 corn (because it's ). I figured I would try little but everything lol. I already have an herb garden elsewhere.
Roxystargazer
Roxystargazer

Female Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 45
Location : Rochester, NY

Back to top Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Empty Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Roxystargazer 6/10/2017, 6:57 pm

MrBooker wrote:
I hope you plan on a fall garden. You can extend the growing season into the winter with hoops and plastic.

I grew carrots last year all winter long with LOTS of mulch and plastic over them. It's a great reward to go out and harvest things like carrots, cabbage, turnips and parsnips in February when it's 8 degrees F.

Don't let old man winter scare you off.
I am hoping to do a fall garden.  You have given me some great ideas!!!  Thank you so much!!  It must be great to get fresh produce in winter.
Roxystargazer
Roxystargazer

Female Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 45
Location : Rochester, NY

Back to top Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Empty Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  quiltbea 6/10/2017, 7:16 pm

Roxy......You've got a great start. Don't overdo it at the beginning. We don't want you to be overwhelmed. See how these work out for you and then expand a little each year. You will find that garden-grown is the tastiest food of all.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 81
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

Back to top Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Empty Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Roxystargazer 6/10/2017, 7:41 pm

quiltbea wrote:Roxy......You've got a great start.  Don't overdo it at the beginning.  We don't want you to be overwhelmed.  See how these work out for you and then expand a little each year.  You will find that garden-grown is the tastiest food of all.
Hahaha yea I'm trying to control myself. This is definitely it...for this year Wink And who doesn't love fresh from the garden veg, especially when it's your own garden!
Roxystargazer
Roxystargazer

Female Posts : 14
Join date : 2017-05-25
Age : 45
Location : Rochester, NY

Back to top Go down

My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester Empty Re: My 1st Sq Ft Garden in Rochester

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum