Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 10:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in April 2017?

+7
CapeCoddess
Jaffa55
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
trolleydriver
StrongAsMeat
Kelejan
11 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in April 2017?

Post  trolleydriver Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:39 am

sanderson wrote:TD,  Who got to play Easter bunny?  Very Happy

Our daughter hid the eggs.

The following Easter bunny video may be too religious for some but it is really cute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xgk6g-ovjM
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in April 2017?

Post  Mimi2 Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:25 am

Kelejan wrote:Mimi, it is funny how so many of us have different opinions of what makes our gardens look like debris.

Last summer I took a local bus ride to our city cemetery and passed through a new sub-division through which the bus had changed routes. It took nearly forty minutes instead of the  ten minutes that was on the outdated bus itinerary.

But what struck me was how soulless the place looked. It was late morning and there was not a person to be seen and it was a beautiful day.  All large houses and all surrounded by flawless green lawns with not a leaf to be seen.  There were acres and acres of lawns that had to be maintained.  I assumed all the inhabitants were out at work slaving their lives away to pay the mortgages and the cost of maintaining these "beautiful" lawns.   If I lived there I would be so cowed that I would feel unable to break our and place a SFG garden anywhere. On my return it had not changed.  Not a person in sight. I felt so sorry for them.  I wondered what sort of lives their children led?
Interesting commentary KJ. I'll have to say that I feel the same way about large lawns and big houses on cookie cutter streets. My square foot gardens are far more beautiful to me. Luckily there isn't much my neighbours can do to stop me now as long as I keep my gardens in good shape (and my SFGs at least 12 feet from the road)
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:28 am

It may be too early, but I took a chance at planting peas, spinach, and carrots directly in my SFGs yesterday. We'll see how this goes. They are in the warmest spots, and the soil was loose and not frozen.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:42 am

Mimi2 wrote:It may be too early, but I took a chance at planting peas, spinach, and carrots directly in my SFGs yesterday. We'll see how this goes. They are in the warmest spots, and the soil was loose and not frozen.
Worth a try Mimi. I'm thinking of doing the same thing, if I can ever get my act together.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Today I am hoping to get out in the garden and attack some of the creeping buttercup that is overtaking my wood chips in certain spots.

I have a large quantity of newspapers given to me by my friend and I will be placing a six-page layer on to and then adding more wood chips. I am hoping it will work.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaffa55 Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:48 pm

I got my boxes built, but couldn't mix my MM. Ugh. I moved into this house on Dec 2, and now found out that the interior tap that opens the tap to the hose (I'm sure that there's a better name for it) leaks. So that explains why it was closed. It's also difficult to access (I had to cut a hole in the ceiling and will put a small access panel there).

Anyway, so now I have to wait for the plumber before I can finish my garden. Sad
Jaffa55
Jaffa55

Female Posts : 33

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Mimi, I always wait too long, and now I think the "window" is getting really tight, if not shut....I would do it, if I were you!  And I am not, or I would have my roots and peas growing already, hahaha!

TD, me too!!!!!

Kelejan, sounds like it would work!  Nothing to lose, since it was free gratis!

Jaffa, I hate that when reality gets in the way!  Went to mow the yard yesterday, and the belt got twisted up and deck stopped mowing after 2 swipes, and I am at least 3 "mows" behind everyone else...grrrr (my neighborhood is mowing obsessed, I am not).  Guess it will wait til my neighbor guy gets a look at it....dang it.  Plans, dashed (temporarily). But still.

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot my sentence)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:33 pm

A knock on my door this morning and my neighbour Bill dropped off some peonies that he was getting rid of. He could not tell me what colours they were as they fell off the back of his truck as he was unloading them.

Earlier I had started to clear a patch for them so I am hoping they will be put to bed tomorrow before it rains, again.

I also wanted to make a start on mowing my grass but was a little too tired to get the machine and electrical cord out of the tool shed.  Another job postponed.

Bruce, another neighbour dropped by while I was working outside and asked me if I still wanted my apple tree pruned. As he is going away for three months he said he will be around tomorrow. He will also take some electrical stuff to the recycling for me.  I love guys with trucks.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:56 pm

Kelejan wrote:A knock on my door this morning and my neighbour Bill dropped off some peonies that he was getting rid of. He could not tell me what colours they were as they fell off the back of his truck as he was unloading them.

Earlier I had started to clear a patch for them so I am hoping they will be put to bed tomorrow before it rains, again.

I also wanted to make a start on mowing my grass but was a little too tired to get the machine and electrical cord out of the tool shed.  Another job postponed.

Bruce, another neighbour dropped by while I was working outside and asked me if I still wanted my apple tree pruned. As he is going away for three months he said he will be around tomorrow. He will also take some electrical stuff to the recycling for me.  I love guys with trucks.
Nice neighbours. I think peonies are my favorite spring/ summer flowers. Mine are white with a bit of hot pink. And fuscia. I moved some of my peonies to the back yard last fall, and I see that they'te popping up now. I'm so excited. Be sure to llet us know what colours you get.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 pm

I have a new peony, this is year 3, it is getting bigger every year!  It is deep pink almost red.  Love it!  I had a 2 toned Japanese variety at my old house, gorgeous.  It was sited in the growing shad of a tree however, I think it should be moved....it looked like a cup and saucer.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:19 am

The nicest day for gardening so far this year.  I managed to do my first lawn-mowing session this year, running the bower at its highest setting over about two-thirds of my grass before I ran out of puff. It was good to feel the sun on my back and it was surprising how hot I became.

I also managed to plant the peonies I was given; three clumps  divided into  pieces, eight altogether. I know I do have a pink, the others I will have to wait until they bloom. Whatever comes up, I am hoping that I will be able to enter some blooms in our local Peony Show that is being held on June 9, 10 and 11.  My friend Diane got me interested two years ago  and I am lucky that I was given these peonies instead of waiting five years for my first blooms from seed.

Fortunately we have lots rain coming, again, so the new plants should be nicely bedded in when the sun shines again in about a weeks time.  It also means that I will not be able to complete my lawn-mowing unless I can sneak it in tomorrow morning.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  greenthumbtobe Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:44 am

My four red Russian garlic plants survived the snow and thriving (I think).  I planted some lettuce and kale seeds into 3 square foot last weekend.  I am hoping to get the rest of my 2 by 6 small box planned out/planted this weekend.

CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 18111019

Last edited by greenthumbtobe on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
greenthumbtobe
greenthumbtobe

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:45 am

Nicely done greenthumbtobe.

Our son is starting to build two 3x3 SFG beds for the grandchildren (boy and girl). He is out buying the wood this morning. Our 9 year old grandson is very excited about this. Should be fun to see.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:35 pm

This is encouraging ... we have daffodils.

CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 Img_3612
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Oh wonderful! So you are only a couple of weeks behind me. But this is where you and the rest of New England will catch up and pass me by. You'll have the warmth long before I will.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:27 pm

It sounds like Canada is waking up!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:23 pm

trolleydriver wrote:This is encouraging ... we have daffodils.

LOL! Ours have been gone for a month.  rofl
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaffa55 Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Seems like lots of us are out in the garden today. Big day for me... I got my boxes out, in position and filled. A no-wind day today made mixing the MM much easier!  I actually didn't water it yet (off to do that right now... needs a good soaking).  Since I was doing it solo, I needed it as light as possible for mixing on the tarp. I think I'll need a good soak myself tonight. It was quite a workout!

Tomorrow I'll build my trellis. Doing the metal conduit thing. And then I'll plant some stuff!!! Very exciting!
Jaffa55
Jaffa55

Female Posts : 33

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:56 pm

countrynaturals wrote:

Now that was just plain mean.    lol!
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:43 pm

Sad 
Mon, 24 Apr
Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 12.
NightCloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low plus 5.
Tue, 25 Apr Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 14.
Wed, 26 Apr Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 13.
Thu, 27 Apr Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 14.
Fri, 28 Apr Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. High 14.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:02 pm

Jaffa ... please post photos.

Kelejan ... Looks like it will be a bit wet out your way.

CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 Wet_re05
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:33 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:

Now that was just plain mean.    lol!
Sorry.  Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:17 pm

No need to be sorry CN.  It was good for a laugh.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:26 am

trolleydriver wrote:

Kelejan ... Looks like it will be a bit wet out your way.

CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 Wet_re05
Oooh! You are so observant, TD.   Very Happy   Yes, it looks as though I will have to get back to sorting out my paperwork for a bit.  Always something that can be done that needs doing.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:37 pm

It's a beautiful sunny day here in Canada's capital city.  I went out to do a bit of gardening.  But it turns out that while the spirit is willing the flesh is weak. Feeling tired I have returned to the indoors and will settle in to watch the Ottawa Senators and Boston Bruins go to battle in an NHL playoff game.  Go Sens Go!

CANADIAN REGION:  What are you doing in April 2017? - Page 3 PdLIVH58m4IAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next