Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+64
CapeCoddess
suseine
DorothyG
OhioGardener
Dunkinjean
ispinwool
Windsor.Parker
BlackjackWidow
farmersgranddaughter
Ellen62
meatburner
SQWIB
yolos
Turan
aliceingardenland
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
plantoid
littlejo
Roseinarosecity
BeetlesPerSqFt
LizDTM
stealthmayhem
ColleenW
brianj555
dixie
bigdogrock
VJ72584
No_Such_Reality
Greenbeard
citizenz
SwampTroll
Fiz
hammock gal
Mimi2
greatgranny
walshevak
Robbomb116
donnainzone5
camprn
Judy McConnell
GloriaG
RC3291
AlwaysHotinFL
Banned Member
GWN
Mellen
dstack
Ginger Blue
herblover
MrBooker
newbeone
reynajrainwater
AtlantaMarie
Cajun Cappy
CitizenKate
audrey.jeanne.roberts
kauairosina
trolleydriver
momvet
NAR56
Kelejan
llama momma
68 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  CapeCoddess 9/6/2017, 4:25 pm

Really really nice, Colleen! Glad you are having such a successful growing year. Thanks for sharing the photos, especially of your spices. Very pretty!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/6/2017, 6:56 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Cut into the melon. This was taken from a plant grown from seeds that SR sent to me. It was quite tasty but perhaps could have used more time to ripen.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Img_4712
Yep, that is a Minnesota Midget.  It isn't quite there...outside will be orangish.  Any more on the plant?  I usually let them drop or close to drop off.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/6/2017, 7:05 pm

Colleen, your healthy influence will be felt!  He may not like eggplant (a lot of people don't) he will like homemade tomato sauce over a nice thin crust pizza or in a great veggie lasagna that you won't even tell him has no meat in it....also a great way to hide eggplant speaking from kid experience here!

Love your pics!

Oh ,and spill the recipe for the jalapeño vinaigrette!  I have them coming out of my ears!  And love them!  Gonna freeze a bunch whole.

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 9/6/2017, 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : need the vinaigrette recipe!!!)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Empty Best Pineapple, EVER!

Post  countrynaturals 9/6/2017, 9:19 pm

It took 3 years to grow from a grocery store top, but we harvested and ate our pineapple today and it was awesome! I'm not a pineapple fan, but if they always tasted this sweet and mild, pineapple would be my new favorite fruit. I love you (You don't see them this color at the store. Razz)
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Pineap12
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/7/2017, 2:02 am

countrynaturals wrote:It took 3 years to grow from a grocery store top, but we harvested and ate our pineapple today and it was awesome! I'm not a pineapple fan, but if they always tasted this sweet and mild, pineapple would be my new favorite fruit. I love you (You don't see them this color at the store. Razz)
Shocked What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 9/7/2017, 8:37 am

ColleenW wrote:I spent this holiday weekend harvesting and storing my crop. <--- a sentence I didn't think I'd be able to say!  Very Happy  I started harvesting and realized I had way more than I could use right now and so have been learning how to store it, too. I've been having a blast. Here's some of it.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 2017_120

I made the mini eggplants into eggplant pizzas (topped with fresh basil). 

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 2017_121

Side note: I ate both platefulls! My husband didn't like them. This turned into a discussion of my telling him I am struggling to figure out what he would like to eat from the garden and that I'm worrying he thinks I'm spending too much time in the garden and him reminding me that he's just not a vegetable guy but that he loves seeing me work in the garden and enjoys how I explain to him everything that's going on in it. Turned into a really good convo but I still want him to eat better! Won't give up on that quite yet ...

I took the tomatoes shown in the above pic, added more from this morning, washed them in vinegar and water (1:3 ratio), cut the stems out, and froze them. Learned a neat trick on YouTube: Put them in a freezer bag and use a straw to create a vacuum pack. Looking forward to fresh sauce and basil when it's snowing this winter! Already asked my husband how he would prefer I prepare the sauce and am looking for recipes to show him. I love you thinking study

The cucumbers get sliced and go into my drinking water and hummus sandwiches all week.

Jalapeños (not pictured but I'm in love with them) get made into vinaigrettes.

And then the herbs: I harvested lemon verbena, chocolate mint, mint, basil, stevia, and oregano and in a fit of initial panic over not being able to choose which method to use to dry them decided to try three methods: oven drying (baking pan), hang drying (colander), refrigerator drying (plate). Here's the chocolate mint demonstrating the prep work:

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 2017_122

The hanging herbs look nice in my kitchen!

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 2017_123

The oven-dried herbs will be used in tea concoctions (makes winter coming almost bearable). They're in a rack I got off of Amazon (the bottom row are spices I add to coffee/hot chocolate/oven potpourri). Hoping to get one last harvest from those plants before winter.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 2017_124

And with this task completed, I ended up reorganizing some kitchen cabinets. Who am I?? I like it.

Yes! Very Nice! Could you please share your recipe for making jalapeno vinaigrette?
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/7/2017, 1:54 pm

Another delicious salad ... All from the SFG ... True Black Brandywine Tomato, Butter King Lettuce, Spicy Salad Leaves, Kale, Mizuna, Cucumber, Nasturtium Leaves and Flowers.

Mrs TD commented on the deliciousness of the Brandywine Tomatoes. She said the inside even looks like watermelon. Definitely will have to grow them again.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Img_2049
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/7/2017, 3:33 pm

Mm...yummy salads, TD.

countrynaturals wrote:It took 3 years to grow from a grocery store top, but we harvested and ate our pineapple today and it was awesome! I'm not a pineapple fan, but if they always tasted this sweet and mild, pineapple would be my new favorite fruit. I love you (You don't see them this color at the store. Razz)

That's amazing!  Can't believe you stuck it out for 3 years.  Wonder if that's how long they take out in the plantations...?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/7/2017, 5:51 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Mm...yummy salads, TD.

That's amazing!  Can't believe you stuck it out for 3 years.  Wonder if that's how long they take out in the plantations...?
They must know something I don't or these puppies would cost $10 each. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  ColleenW 9/8/2017, 11:41 am

Nice salad TD! And cool pineapple CN! I love how your patience and nurturing resulted in something beautiful -and- yummy.

Thanks for the nice words about my harvest. Here's the jalepeno dressing recipe that I use as a base: http://lisasdinnertimedish.com/spicy-jalapeno-lime-vinaigrette/ . I don't always have all of those ingredients so I usually modify it. Lately I've been using this mix of ingredients:

2-5 cloves of garlic (I love garlic, can't get enough), peeled and roughly chopped
2 jalapeños (because I'm using those suckers up), seeds removed and roughly chopped
¼ cup fresh basil (my parsley didn't do well this year)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
juice of 2 limes
½ cup olive oil (or less, I prefer a tart, light dressing)

I funnel that into a saved glass dressing bottle and it lasts for a week in the fridge.
ColleenW
ColleenW

Female Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/8/2017, 8:50 pm

"Garden Medley" zucchini, pattypan, & asparagus beans, cooked up in ham broth. Delish! Very Happy
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/8/2017, 9:58 pm

ColleenW wrote:Nice salad TD! And cool pineapple CN! I love how your patience and nurturing resulted in something beautiful -and- yummy.

Thanks for the nice words about my harvest. Here's the jalepeno dressing recipe that I use as a base: http://lisasdinnertimedish.com/spicy-jalapeno-lime-vinaigrette/ . I don't always have all of those ingredients so I usually modify it. Lately I've been using this mix of ingredients:

2-5 cloves of garlic (I love garlic, can't get enough), peeled and roughly chopped
2 jalapeños (because I'm using those suckers up), seeds removed and roughly chopped
¼ cup fresh basil (my parsley didn't do well this year)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
juice of 2 limes
½ cup olive oil (or less, I prefer a tart, light dressing)

I funnel that into a saved glass dressing bottle and it lasts for a week in the fridge.
Thanks!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Empty Grabbed this morning

Post  stealthmayhem 9/13/2017, 7:36 am

I Figured I would get to see what was in the garden before the rain hit this afternoon and I noticed a cucumber, then another, then another.  They are really coming on now. So I decided to see what else I could find.  Below is what I gtrabbed this morning.  My father -in-law planted some yellow tomatoes, but I have no idea what variety they are.  I have more tendergreen beans, but I ate them while I was looking for more to harvest ( Rolling Eyes )What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Img_2033.
stealthmayhem
stealthmayhem

Male Posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/13/2017, 1:32 pm

Nice! It's fun to find things you didn't know where even there.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 998388915
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  hammock gal 9/13/2017, 5:41 pm

More tomatoes...the cherries just will not quit. And I'm not complaining. I think I'll make the burst cherry tomato sauce for pasta again tonight. Third time, it's that good. And look! Finally a pepper. I'm so happy to see there are still so many green tomatoes on the vines. Picking the last one will be a sad day. Sad
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Dscn0753
hammock gal
hammock gal

Female Posts : 381

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/13/2017, 7:32 pm

Nice haul!

Homemade chili with homegrown peppers& garlic!  Yum!  Some heat in there too!cherry
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 9/16/2017, 2:11 pm

Since the cucs are gone - no more pickles to be made.

Tomatoes are at every meal (even breakfast) and the onions and peppers have gone into making marinara sauce for winter. 

Beans cooked in ham juice were on the plate last night - the rest will be frozen for this winter.

Made apple butter yesterday and had some on toast this am.  Later on today I'll make apple sauce and can it. Some will be saved for Monday's dinner with (store-bought) pork chops, and cabbage (the last one from the garden).
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/16/2017, 9:15 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Another delicious salad ... All from the SFG ... True Black Brandywine Tomato, Butter King Lettuce, Spicy Salad Leaves, Kale, Mizuna, Cucumber, Nasturtium Leaves and Flowers.

Mrs TD commented on the deliciousness of the Brandywine Tomatoes. She said the inside even looks like watermelon. Definitely will have to grow them again.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Img_2049
Very nice. You are an artist TD.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/16/2017, 9:19 pm

I just put on a pot of crock pot marinara using my own herbs and tomatoes given to me for volunteering at a local organic farm. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 20170914
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 20170915
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 9/16/2017, 9:55 pm

I got to spend time in the garden today, some tasty things on the plate tonight. All those potatoes came from five store bought potatoes!What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 20170913
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 20170912
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 9/16/2017, 10:38 pm

bigdogrock wrote:I got to spend time in the garden today, some tasty things on the plate tonight. All those potatoes came from five store bought potatoes!What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 20170913
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 20170912
What kind of tomato is that at the top , in the middle?  Brandy wine? Cherokee ?
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/16/2017, 10:42 pm

Mimi and Rock ... Excellent ... well done!

As part of our dinner this evening we had old style SFG grown golden wax beans (boiled) together with tomatillos (sauteed). 
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Img_2068
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 9/17/2017, 8:43 am

I got those from my neighbor, he got them at a local grocery store. The tag said "Beefy tomato" and nothing else. I do not know if it is a hybrid or not. The one on the bottom, purpleish is a Cherokee Purple. Even though I was busier than a bee this summer, I was able to plant some containers of tomatoes, I think they did well.
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Empty More Cukes...and Green Beans

Post  stealthmayhem 9/21/2017, 5:19 pm

More Cukes, With more on the way.  My green beans are really coming in as well.  Cherry tomatoes are still producing, but have slowed down to about 10 a day.What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Img_2034
stealthmayhem
stealthmayhem

Male Posts : 27

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Empty The Big Salad

Post  trolleydriver 9/23/2017, 2:23 pm

Anyone remember the Big Salad episode on Seinfeld? I made one for my lunch today. The ingredients all came from the SFG.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 21 Img_2071
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next