Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+64
CapeCoddess
suseine
DorothyG
OhioGardener
Dunkinjean
ispinwool
Windsor.Parker
BlackjackWidow
farmersgranddaughter
Ellen62
meatburner
SQWIB
yolos
Turan
aliceingardenland
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
plantoid
littlejo
Roseinarosecity
BeetlesPerSqFt
LizDTM
stealthmayhem
ColleenW
brianj555
dixie
bigdogrock
VJ72584
No_Such_Reality
Greenbeard
citizenz
SwampTroll
Fiz
hammock gal
Mimi2
greatgranny
walshevak
Robbomb116
donnainzone5
camprn
Judy McConnell
GloriaG
RC3291
AlwaysHotinFL
Banned Member
GWN
Mellen
dstack
Ginger Blue
herblover
MrBooker
newbeone
reynajrainwater
AtlantaMarie
Cajun Cappy
CitizenKate
audrey.jeanne.roberts
kauairosina
trolleydriver
momvet
NAR56
Kelejan
llama momma
68 posters

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  yolos 3/13/2017, 8:46 pm

Fortex green pole beans harvested this past summer and froze.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/13/2017, 10:03 pm

GWN wrote:
GWN, what is that in your avatar?

It is a Jasper Geode, rockhounding has become my hobby in the winter, in fact we drove through Redding this fall on our way to Nevada.  We spent the winter in our vintage motorhome, camping in the desert and searching for cool rocks.
I struggle with the winters here, I lived in coastal oregon for 13 years and just cannot get used to not seeing the ground for 4 months of the year.

So when we retired we took to traveling around for the winter.

I cooked up my very last pumpkin and made pumpkin cookies yesterday.
thought so, nice, I am a bit of a rock hound as well!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 3/17/2017, 6:24 pm

I snow shoveled some of the paths in my garden -- not all the way down, don't want to toss my wood chips all over the lawn.  And then I harvested greens from the low tunnel (rocket, mustards, komatsuna, claytonia, & mache, started back in September/October) -- salad for lunch, w/ one of my mini butternut squash!
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/17/2017, 7:39 pm

CC, that is true about the potatoes!  They got growth crack due to the uneven rain/watering situation last summer....but the potatoes are fine, growth conditions were not!  I will plant the best ones for sure!  Loves me some spuds!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/23/2017, 11:42 am

OMG! CAULIFLOWER! It was absolutely FABULOUS! At first I was disappointed because the heads are small and loose, on long stems -- more like broccoli -- but the taste and crispness were amazing. We ate the stems, too -- dipped them in homemade ranch dressing and ate them raw. I may give up on broccoli and Brussels sprouts and switch to nothing but kale and cauliflower next winter.  I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/23/2017, 2:37 pm

Was that one of the purple cauliflowers? I was so surprised at how delicious fresh garden cauliflower tastes raw.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/23/2017, 2:43 pm

sanderson wrote:Was that one of the purple cauliflowers?  I was so surprised at how delicious fresh garden cauliflower tastes raw.
Me, too. Hubby was really amazed. I couldn't find seeds for the purple. These were called "rainbow" I think. I bought plants on a whim from a nursery last year. I still have 2 more heads forming. Do you eat the leaves from yours?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/23/2017, 2:50 pm

I used the leaves to make Boffer's "Cabbage rolls." Boil for one min, ice plunge for one min. Remove the center vein. Stuff with your favorite recipe.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/23/2017, 5:01 pm

sanderson wrote:I used the leaves to make Boffer's "Cabbage rolls."  Boil for one min, ice plunge for one min.  Remove the center vein.  Stuff with your favorite recipe.
Sounds good. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/23/2017, 8:54 pm

Vegetables previously frozen - Lady Cowpeas, Dragon Tongue Beans, Shell Peas, Silver Queen Whole Kernel Corn.  (and a side dish of chicken).  Have to get the freezer emptied out to get ready for this summer.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/24/2017, 2:27 am

yolos wrote:. . . Have to get the freezer emptied out to get ready for this summer.
I know what you mean. I need to eat last summer's frozen veggies, and I only have a side-by-side freezer!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/24/2017, 3:17 pm

sanderson wrote:Was that one of the purple cauliflowers?  I was so surprised at how delicious fresh garden cauliflower tastes raw.

Wish I could grow cauliflower and broccoli. I can get the leaves, which is fine, but the heads, if any, are the size of my pinkie nail.
Sad
Any suggestions?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/24/2017, 4:49 pm

I sure hope Camp, our NE Champ, will chime in. For CA, the seedlings are set out in the fall and start heading Jan-Feb.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/24/2017, 9:52 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:

Wish I could grow cauliflower and broccoli.  I can get the leaves, which is fine, but the heads, if any, are the size of my pinkie nail.
Sad
Any suggestions?
Too much nitrogen?  CC, Mybe your beds are all leaves no fruit?  Which in my experience is too much N.  Get your MM or dirt tested
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/25/2017, 3:18 am

CC,  could it be the amount of kelp added to the beds?  Out of balance nutrients?  What do I know.  If you get your soil test, maybe use U Mass with their soil-less test?  (dirt-free mix)

Last edited by sanderson on 3/25/2017, 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/25/2017, 12:32 pm

Oh my gosh I just hit the motherload. I guess I haven't done it a while but I cleaned out the freezer today and ran across a bag each of strawberries, garlic scapes, peppers and tomatoes. So I made some strawberry yogurt which will go in the fridge for dessert tonight. And I'm cooking up some tomato sauce, garlic scapes and fusilli for lunch today.What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 Img_2092
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/28/2017, 8:42 pm

The last of the indoor winter cukes and the first of the outdoor spring chives. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 Empty RE: What are You Eating From Your Garden Today?

Post  newbeone 3/29/2017, 4:18 am

Steamed Cabbage, my last one from the fall planting with kielbasa, a nice salad with store bought tomatoes & cucumbers, Sugar Snap peas on the side. This by far has been my best season and I want to Thank You my friends on this Forum for their help. We're finally getting some rain down here I'm setting up with my dog he doesn't like the thunder & lighting.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/29/2017, 3:04 pm

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/29/2017, 3:45 pm

My garden feels sorry for me. I've been so discouraged, but this morning I went out to find some salad makings and came back with a nice mess of snow peas (mistake from some seed co. -- supposed to be sugar snaps), tiny purple broccoli, and small cauliflower heads. All were delicious and gave me new energy to carry on the good fight. (The phone rang while I was looking for the camera, and by the time I got back, Hubby already had them cut up and gone, so no pic. Rolling Eyes)
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/29/2017, 7:28 pm

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 3170584802 All of you!  Yum!  cheers

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 3/29/2017, 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/30/2017, 7:48 am

We are still eating the over wintered carrots ... have taken all out of one bed to clear it entirely for this years brassica .
 We still have some long rooted winter carrots in the ground in another bed .

The lifted carrots .....about 12 pounds of them are stored in a three gallon pail /bucket of chopped  moist coir.. We've found it is as good a damp peat for root crop storage plus  we'll get o use it as the soil for this years  tub tomatoes towards the  end of May 
 We also still have a dozen of so inch thick leeks with a 9 inch length of white flesh below ground to harvest .

Some of you may recall I managed to grow some Chou D' Aubenton  ( perennial/ ever lasting  Kale ) from some beginning to rot cuttings that were held up  for nearly three weeks in the international post one Easter ( they came from France ).
  I sterilised in a cap-full  of baby bottle sterilizing bleach to a mug of warm water for a few seconds after gently scrubbing the slime off under running cold water with a nailbrush several years ago . Any place where the slime had been was then carefully sliced off with a scalpel  & given anther sterilizing then rinsed in running water shaken dry ( ish ) & dipped in rooting compound then planted as deep as I could so the bottom leaves were just clear of the soil & watered them in well . 

I must have done something right , for over the last five years I've always managed to take cuttings off a plant that was left to go leggy  but this time simply pulling a leggy shoot off ensuring it has a heel on it & popping it in a dibbed hole then flooding the hole with clean water then gently tamping the hole closed . snip of the biggest leaves but do leave some on the cutting .
  This last week we've been eating the results too . There are six  ull grown plants in the beds , we take a few leaves off each plant each time we want some fresh greens . There are now five cutting too .

Tuesday saw us eat the final Brussels sprouts & the sprout tops as chopped cabbage with sautee'd potatoes & inch thick homemade beef , pork , onions & salted bacon burgers with whole  home canned tomatoes & plenty of tomato juice instead of gravy .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/30/2017, 3:46 pm

countrynaturals wrote:The phone rang while I was looking for the camera, and by the time I got back, Hubby already had them cut up and gone, so no pic. Rolling Eyes
Those pesky husbands. Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/30/2017, 3:49 pm

plantoid wrote:The lifted carrots .....about 12 pounds of them are stored in a three gallon pail /bucket of chopped  moist coir.. We've found it is as good a damp peat for root crop storage plus  we'll get o use it as the soil for this years  tub tomatoes towards the  end of May 
Do you remove the greenery from the carrots when they are in peat storage?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Banned Member 3/30/2017, 6:42 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Oh my gosh I just hit the motherload. I guess I haven't done it a while but I cleaned out the freezer today and ran across a bag each of strawberries, garlic scapes, peppers and tomatoes. So I made some strawberry yogurt which will go in the fridge for dessert tonight. And I'm cooking up some tomato sauce, garlic scapes and fusilli for lunch today.What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 7 Img_2092

Can you give a brief explanation how you make your homemade yogurt?  Do you have a yogurt maker or do you use something else?  What do you use for starter?  Have you tried making Kefir?

Do you think an amateur could make coconut yogurt?
Banned Member

Male Posts : 144

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 23 ... 40  Next