Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+64
CapeCoddess
suseine
DorothyG
OhioGardener
Dunkinjean
ispinwool
Windsor.Parker
BlackjackWidow
farmersgranddaughter
Ellen62
meatburner
SQWIB
yolos
Turan
aliceingardenland
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
plantoid
littlejo
Roseinarosecity
BeetlesPerSqFt
LizDTM
stealthmayhem
ColleenW
brianj555
dixie
bigdogrock
VJ72584
No_Such_Reality
Greenbeard
citizenz
SwampTroll
Fiz
hammock gal
Mimi2
greatgranny
walshevak
Robbomb116
donnainzone5
camprn
Judy McConnell
GloriaG
RC3291
AlwaysHotinFL
Banned Member
GWN
Mellen
dstack
Ginger Blue
herblover
MrBooker
newbeone
reynajrainwater
AtlantaMarie
Cajun Cappy
CitizenKate
audrey.jeanne.roberts
kauairosina
trolleydriver
momvet
NAR56
Kelejan
llama momma
68 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/18/2017, 11:21 pm

My Roma tomatoes are ripening (in my greenhouse), so I'm having them on fresh salads.  Several varieties of bell peppers got frosted last fall and I cut the fruit off and left them in my greenhouse.  They have actually ripened slowly over the winter and I'm having red bell peppers on my salads.  The Romas are a really nice size this year - I'm a very happy girl!!!  I had to BUY tomatoes for hamburgers last weekend, I just HATE that!!! 

We are at 18 inches of rain since Jan 1 - that's insane for us.  It's a mud bog everywhere and I'm so behind in my maintenance *deep sigh*
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 Empty Purple cauliflower and Brunswick Cabbage

Post  dstack 2/19/2017, 7:14 am

Today we'll be harvesting some "Purple of Sicily" cauliflower.What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 Img_2011

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 Img_2013

Also, last year my first attempt at growing cabbage flopped.  All they did was attracted lots of aphids. But I think I started they too late in the season, and I've learned a few organic methods since then like compost tea. This is Brunswick Cabbage...

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 Img_2012
Last weekend we had cabbage soup, and now I want to make our first homemade sauerkraut.  Fermented veggies are very nutritious for healthy digestion.  Most Americans don't eat enough fermented foods, and I look forward to my first experience of making our first batch. And if that goes well I want to try fermenting Longevity spinach.
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/19/2017, 9:37 am

Nice, dstack!  My single cabbage got pummeled by hail last spring.  I am giving Romanesco a try this year!  That color is gorgeous!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/19/2017, 4:13 pm

Sweet baby kale leaves and three little carrots, all from last year's plants.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/20/2017, 9:36 pm

More of Boffer's "cabbage" rolls, but made with cauliflower leaves. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 2/20/2017, 10:03 pm

Nice cabbage and cauliflower, dstack!
---
Today I had collard greens - again. I made up a big batch and had them yesterday and the day before, too. They are delicious drool   I dreamed of them last night. They were just steamed in the pressure cooker. I didn't even use bacon grease. If I had to choice between a bowl of ice cream, and another serving of the collard greens, I'd pick the greens. I must be deficient in manganese or something, because I think this is crazy.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 2/21/2017, 11:40 pm

Turned these garden gems (parsnip, celeriac, my big carrot (which tasted fine and wasn't woody), leeks, thyme, rosemary, and sage)
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 Img_8310
into a pot pie:
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 Img_8311
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/22/2017, 1:19 am

Looks yummy! Perfect crust.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 2/22/2017, 9:40 am

Peggy's salad box is going full speed and in it she has parsley and dill trying to take over one end and loose leaf cpinach and green onions and beet and other greens.  She had a corner empty and we had just bought some romaine on sale so she stuck the stumps in the grden and now they are growing well and we are using their leaves as well.  Throw in the chinese cabbage we ahve been getting a head every 4 or 5 days which is perfect for us.  We are in garden salad heaven.
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 2/22/2017, 6:37 pm

Not much out there.  Made kale chips (an experiment) from purple kale (which is REALLY pretty!).  I liked the flavor but not the texture.  Ate them all up anyway.  Kale is still producing so I'm leaving it alone although it's taking up too much space in my salad box.  I'll need to move it somewhere (that I haven't figured out yet)

The broccoli I THOUGHT was kale of a different color produced a hand full, which considering I planted all 6 of them in the square is not bad.  I put it in the carton with the other veggie 'leavings' for my vegetable broth.  I've never put broccoli in it; hope it doesn't give it a strong flavor.  I welcome any opinions on this.   Smile

I still have some onions (scallions?) out there too.  I'll probably pull them & put them in the broth also.  Some of it will also go in my veggie/egg muffins I make.  I've been cutting the tops all winter for salads, stir fries, etc.  I've never been able to do that before....kinda cool.

I need to clean the box out so I can start the lettuces & spinach, etc.
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 2/26/2017, 4:39 pm

The sweetest cucumber we've ever tasted. Coulda been a watermelon it was so sweet. Grew it from seed in the sunroom. YEE-HAH! Winter gardening is the BEST!  cheers
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 2/27/2017, 8:27 pm

Jerusalem artichokes: I adapted a moussaka recipe and used the sunchokes in place of potatoes. My recipe still needs some work before it can be shared, but it was successful enough that I look forward to trying it again in a few weeks.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 2/27/2017, 8:32 pm

countrynaturals wrote:The sweetest cucumber we've ever tasted. Coulda been a watermelon it was so sweet. Grew it from seed in the sunroom. YEE-HAH! Winter gardening is the BEST!  cheers

What kind of cucumber, Suz?
Save
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/11/2017, 11:36 am

Ginger Blue wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:The sweetest cucumber we've ever tasted. Coulda been a watermelon it was so sweet. Grew it from seed in the sunroom. YEE-HAH! Winter gardening is the BEST!  cheers

Save
Yeah, well, about that . . .  Embarassed It's probably Saladmore Bush Hybrid FI. I think that was the only bush variety I had last year, but I did NOT have a good system then. 

From the same source, I got Brown Russian cucumber seeds. I didn't plant any of those until a couple of days ago, but that packet says: "This has to be hands down the best tasting cucumber I have ever tasted." When a seed company says something like that, it definitely gets my attention, especially since they're the same folks who sold me the other ones. There aren't a whole lot of seeds in those packets, but I could spare a half dozen of each if you want to try them.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 3/11/2017, 3:19 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
Ginger Blue wrote:

Save
Yeah, well, about that . . .  Embarassed It's probably Saladmore Bush Hybrid FI. I think that was the only bush variety I had last year, but I did NOT have a good system then. 

From the same source, I got Brown Russian cucumber seeds. I didn't plant any of those until a couple of days ago, but that packet says: "This has to be hands down the best tasting cucumber I have ever tasted." When a seed company says something like that, it definitely gets my attention, especially since they're the same folks who sold me the other ones. There aren't a whole lot of seeds in those packets, but I could spare a half dozen of each if you want to try them.

Awwww, thanks; you're a dear! I appreciate the offer, both cultivars sound delicious. I don't have space to try them this year, but will add them to my wish list for consideration in the future. I love you
Save
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/12/2017, 10:54 am

I put the lopped off tops of the indoor onion seedlings on my quinoa/lentil salad.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 4022887542
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/12/2017, 11:01 am

I am still eating raspberries (frozen) from last years garden.
cc 
I put the lopped off tops of the indoor onion seedlings on my quinoa/lentil salad.

sounds yummy. Have you heard of the OH SHE GLOWS books
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/12/2017, 11:08 am

GWN wrote:Have you heard of the OH SHE GLOWS books

Nope, but I'm always on the look out for new to me books. I see if the library carries them.

Lucky you on the raspberries. My raspberries didn't yield enough to freeze last year but I was eating frozen strawberries thru Dec. I love you
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/12/2017, 11:30 am

We actually sell raspberries at the farmers market, so have a lot of them.
OH SHE GLOWS

The newest book in her series is called oh she glows every day.  and rather than vegan she is calling it "plant based" which sounds so much better than vegan Smile
I am trying to cut down on cheese
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/12/2017, 6:40 pm

Mellon,  If you want to add broccoli, maybe add at the end of the cooking or make a serving of veggie broth with broccoli at the end??  I found that adding veggie or spices to my grass fed beef, turkey or chicken stock over whelmed the pure broth flavors.  Now I just add a teaspoon of salt to the pot. For veggie stock, maybe stick to the basic veggie trimmings (carrot, parsnip, cabbage, onion, garlic, small amount of celery) and add overwhelming veggies on a bowl by bowl basis?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/12/2017, 7:37 pm

Interesting thoughts Sanderson 
I accidentally found another way to use Kale all year.  I have to say that I tried making Kale chips, but did not like them...... they were just too strong, so I put them all through the blender and use the results as a type of dried seasoning to add to soups and stews.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/12/2017, 9:48 pm

GWN, what is that in your avatar?

I am eating nothing today from my garden.  I have some frozen marinara, and a few carrots left.  Most of the potatoes have sprouted, so probably not edible...

I would love raspberries.  This year, I am going to put in a strawberry box.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/13/2017, 10:00 am

GWN, what is that in your avatar?

It is a Jasper Geode, rockhounding has become my hobby in the winter, in fact we drove through Redding this fall on our way to Nevada.  We spent the winter in our vintage motorhome, camping in the desert and searching for cool rocks.
I struggle with the winters here, I lived in coastal oregon for 13 years and just cannot get used to not seeing the ground for 4 months of the year.

So when we retired we took to traveling around for the winter.

I cooked up my very last pumpkin and made pumpkin cookies yesterday.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 Empty What are you eating from your garden today ?

Post  newbeone 3/13/2017, 11:28 am

Greens, I like a mix so I took a hand full of Chad, Beet , Kale and Mustard Greens chopped them up with onion and garlic simmered in a pot for 30 minutes. Good eating.
newbeone
newbeone

Male Posts : 202

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/13/2017, 4:54 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
I am eating nothing today from my garden.  I have some frozen marinara, and a few carrots left.  Most of the potatoes have sprouted, so probably not edible...

But plantible! I have a bag of organic golds that are SO ready...
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 6 1787710427
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next