Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG Toplef10Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG I22gcj10Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG Toplef10Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG I22gcj10Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG

3 posters

Go down

Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG Empty Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG

Post  ander217 5/13/2010, 8:48 pm

I've just come in from the garden, and made a mental inventory of successes and failures thus far in our first year of converting part of our garden to SFG.

Crops that are up and growing well: Tomatoes, cabbage, peas, cucumbers, pansies, sunflower, squash, pumpkins, lettuce, basil, muskmelons, and scarlet runner beans.

Okay plantings: Carrots*, kohlrabi (some cutworm damage), parsley, and bell peppers.

*They were growing well until my calico cat decided their box made a nice place to sit and lazily watch the voles destroying the corn and sweet potato beds. I can't really blame that on the carrots, though.

Dismal so far: Red onions (never started growing, just sitting there), Blue Lake and Kentucky Blue pole beans (cutworms behead them as soon as they pop up, but strangely enough the worms haven't touched the scarlet runners right next to them), eggplants (flea beetle damage), and hot peppers (just sitting there, not growing even though bell peppers next to them are doing better).

All these are planted in boxes with the same Mel's Mix, and receive the same water and weather conditions. I have no idea why the red onion plants and hot peppers are just sitting there doing nothing. The yellow onion sets we planted in the row-garden are humongous and starting to bulb at the bottom.

I can also tell you that catnip does no good for flea beetles. I set a catnip plant next to an eggplant to see if it would help deter the beetles, - today I saw flea beetles on the catnip leaves. I'm going down the list of suggestions - laying chopped garlic leaves around the plants, spreading chopped mint leaves, placing toads next to them (yes, I even went through the yard catching toads and placing them under the eggplants) - so far nothing seems to work. I'm still trying to find neem oil - may have to order it from the 'net. If that doesn't work, I'll just have to hope the plants come out of it once the flea beetle cycle is over.

That's my report so far from a longtime row gardener who is converting to SFG. So far the potatoes, onions, and spinach in the row garden are doing fantastically well. But it took a LOT of work to get that soil in its current condition, and it will take work to keep it that way. The jury is still out on the beds since most of them are just now coming up.

I'm sold on SFG, but we need to figure out what is wrong with the red onion plants and hot peppers. Any thoughts?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG Empty Re: Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG

Post  Wild Bill 5/17/2010, 8:55 am

I had the flea beetles all over my radishes in my SFG. What I used was the diatomaceous earth.

It worked great and took them out almost overnight.

Check out this link: http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-flea-beetles.htm

Food grade diatomaceous earth will help get rid of flea beetles
or prevent adult flea beetles from feeding on plants.

Diatomaceous earth is an incredible thing. It's a soil composed of
fossilized, microscopic algae with razor sharp edges, which are
non-toxic to most mammals but fatal to insects that come into contact
with it. Dusting your plants with diatomaceous earth has been shown to
reduce adult flea beetle feeding to a tolerable level in areas where
flea beetle populations have gotten out of hand.
Wild Bill

Back to top Go down

Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG Empty diatomaceous earth

Post  ander217 5/17/2010, 10:02 am

Thanks for the info. That was a great link.

Where do you find food-grade diatomaceous earth?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG Empty Re: Successes and failures so far in 1st SFG

Post  Wild Bill 5/17/2010, 10:04 am

My Lowes actually carried it.

Came in a yellow bag.
Wild Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/17/2010, 10:54 am

I found neem oil at Lowe's on Friday. It was around $10 for an 8oz. bottle. I made a mixture of about a teaspoon of it, a teaspoon of ivory soap, and a quart of water. (I didn't actually measure. I drizzled them in - guessed at a teaspoon.) Put it in a spray bottle and have been spraying my roses and broccoli daily. Will drop down to once a week after today. I'll keep you posted on the results. Best wishes with your pests!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum