Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes Toplef10GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes I22gcj10GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes Toplef10GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes I22gcj10GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes

+2
CapeCoddess
BeetlesPerSqFt
6 posters

Go down

GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes Empty GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 9:18 am

Rather than a thread for everything, I'll offer this for collecting up kale and collard greens recipes. Reply with yours! Very Happy

I made Sopa de Fuba' (Brazilian collard green, cornmeal and sausage soup) the other night, and it was delicious!
To make it gluten-free I used:
- explicitly gluten-free cornmeal (Bob's Red Mill corn grits/polenta)
    (For newbies to GF cooking: yes, corn has no gluten, but there are concerns about contaminated processing equipment. Also, the term "corn gluten" is considered to be a misnomer at this point -- it is not the same as wheat/rye/barley gluten.)
- gluten-free sausage - Wegman's Tuscan rather than a kielbasa (and I just learned on wikipedia that there are lots of different types of kielbasa!)
- commercial chicken stock that was explicitly gluten-free (homemade is obviously better, but I was out)

The Saveur page says "Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited," so I won't paste the actual recipe; here is the link:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Sopa-de-Fuba-Collard-Greens-Cornmeal-and-Sausage-Soup

Here are the minor modifications I made:
I minced one medium onion and sauteed it in the stock pot before adding the stock that the cornmeal goes in - a good homemade stock might not need this.
I microwave-steamed two large carrots (cut 1/2" thick on the diagonal) to the tender-crisp point, and tossed them in at the end just so they'd reheat.

Also, I used 6 large collard leaves, but didn't weigh them to see if they were 4oz. (I wasn't going back out into the cold wet drizzle to get more if it wasn't 4oz, and I didn't want to deal with leftover leaves if I went over!)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes Empty Re: GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes

Post  CapeCoddess 12/7/2016, 11:31 am

That's a very nice simple-simon recipe, Beetles.
Thanks. I'm thinking of using meat-free meatballs in mine.
I don't get the egg addition though. Does it thicken, like thin custard, or are we just eating raw eggs? I have nada against raw eggs but need to know if I should see it thicken for success.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 12/7/2016, 12:49 pm

You scramble the eggs in a separate bowl, then add a ladleful (1cup) of the near-boiling stock/cornmeal combination, while whisking. The heat from the near-boiling stock cooks the eggs, but not as quickly as dumping the raw egg into the stockpot on the stove, so they don't get chunky. You then add that mixture back to the stockpot (which still has over 6 cups of near-boiling liquid in it) and between the heat from that, and the extra 1 minute cooking time they add, I'm pretty sure the eggs are cooked, not raw.

I assume it's a thickener, but I didn't make one without eggs to compare how much of the thickening at the end was the eggs vs additional cornmeal plumping.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes Empty Indonesian-style Collard Greens Curry (Gulai Sayur)

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/24/2017, 8:51 pm

Collards for dinner again - they are holding up really well so far this winter! A different ethnicity than my last post, Indonesian this time. The recipe is already gluten-free without modification.

The Saveur page says "Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited," so I won't paste the actual recipe; here is the link:
http://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/Gulai-Sayur-Indonesian-Style-Collard-Greens-Curry

I made three modifications:
I swapped the 2 fresh (I assumed they meant fresh) Thai chiles -- with a 1/2t of powdered dried Thai chilis (homegrown!) and a sixth of a fresh red bell pepper, chopped.
I swapped the fresh lemon grass stems for about 1T of sliced lemon grass in liquid from a jar (Thai Taste brand), and put it into the food processor to incorporate it into the paste.
I used brown sugar instead of white sugar.

I serve this with jasmine rice and shrimp. I think farmed catfish would also have worked fairly well. For a vegetarian version I'd suggest tofu or hard-boiled eggs.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  MBroman 4/26/2017, 5:50 pm

I tried to make kale "chips" toasted in the oven with just a drizzle of olive oil on them. Maybe some salt. Those were nasty. And bitter. And shriveled up into cellophane looking what-nots. 

I've heard that it depends on what kind of kale you use. Some work/taste better than others. 
I've also been told to sprinkle flavor enhancers on them - like dry ranch dressing mix or other spice mixtures. 
I've also heard that no matter what you do...kale baked this way is destind to failure - is always less palatable (ie. yuck). 

I would totally be willing to try it again if someone out here has a solid, fail-safe recipe.
MBroman
MBroman

Back to top Go down

GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes Empty Marinated Collards - cold salad

Post  Frost? 3/6/2022, 7:59 am

This is one of my favorites - I like "zippy" foods:

GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes Collar10
Frost?
Frost?

Male Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 3/6/2022, 9:19 pm

We use collard greens two ways, raw... 

First is chiffonade as "noodles" with maranara of your choice. 

To chiffonade...  cut out the stems, leaving the two sides of the leaf.  Stack several leaves.  (We use a bunch comparable to a grocery store bunch. I know that varies wildly. Depends on how many "noodles" you want.)  Roll up the leaves into a cigar shape.  Slice across to create really fine, thin, strips of the collards.

Put them in a bowl.  Drizzle with olive oil (and salt if desired), and to wilt the noodles, rub a couple of minutes or more between your hands.  No cooking.

----
Second, we use the collard leaves as a small burrito style wrap for a "taco filling" made with walnuts, tomatoes, and taco seasonings...   

The filling:   In the food processor, first put tomato sauce, taco seasonings as desired (I make ours ), a bit of Bragg's aminos, a dollop of "Kitchen Bouquet" which is a browning carmelized sauce to darken the mix (do either of those have gluten? ); then add walnuts, and chop.

It's amazing how much like taco filling this is.  And the collards seem to really set it off.

----
Young collards are better, not tough.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

GF Collard Greens, Kale Recipes Empty collards

Post  Frost? 3/6/2022, 9:25 pm

Very interesting.  I do "de-vein" my collards before rolling and slicing for the marinade as well, never considered them as an alternative for spaghetti - will try.  As far as a wrap, we're all over that!  Did ours with tuna salad today, sure beats bread for the carb conscious ones; while munching my tuna burrito though I started to thought wander about taco collards - and SHAZAAM!  There you are!  Thanks.  Jon
Frost?
Frost?

Male Posts : 138

Soose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawgwild 3/6/2022, 9:58 pm

I will be planting some collards for a fall crop this year. They are pretty hardy in the cold weather and a lite frost really helps makes them richer in flavor.

My grandmother would boil us some and when tender pour much of the water off and add sugar to them...

Quite tasty,

Scottie
Hawgwild
Hawgwild

Male Posts : 101

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down