Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  Toplef10Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  I22gcj10Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  Toplef10Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  I22gcj10Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cone shaped plastic composting bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )

4 posters

Go down

Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  Empty Cone shaped plastic composting bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )

Post  plantoid 10/13/2016, 6:32 pm

Some of you may recall I've been composting for several years in these conical bins. the first year I used pure animal dung plus their beddings as my gardens were undergoing a major landscaping exercise that saw all the top foot of clay stirred around  and all vegetation decimated by the tracked excavator , 2 tonne dumper truck etc.

That compost rotted down very nicely and saw some amazing crops  in the gardens.
 since then the animal based materials has been reduced to about 1/4  of the original volumes,
To that I've added as it became available all the garden green waste along with almost anything that was waste from the kitchen .  All that has been mixed up with mulched leaves , torn up wet corrugated cardboard boxes , shredded office confidential paper and two small bales of unwanted wet straw .

When I remixed it in early 2015 I gave it liberal sprinklings of some wet vermiculite to use it up thinking that " well a little bit more in the beds won't cause any harm ".

It's been sat in the bins ever since till today when I started to gently & slowly move all my compost production forty metres further away from the concrete  area they are standing on .   The big surprise was that the worms have helped break up the vermiculite and turn the compost into a coarse crumb save for the oak leaves that were not mulched ..they are still recogniseable as oak leaves & a bit leathery .
 Two Dalek bins only just managed to fill one bin after the decanting move .

I've also been and dumped three buckets of compost on my asparagus bed and another on the four rhubarb crowns as it's nigh on finished for the year  as well as it is so crumbly and easy to spread over the beds .
 Next years crops  will tell if the compost is good , for since November 2015  I've hardly used any on purpose to see what the boost of adding it really is .

There are still two more Daleks to move , but I'm taking a few days off so as to not wreck my health .  These two bins have the original home made compost I did in them  & I'll be mixing it with 2015's composted mulched Leylandi conifer hedge cuttings & more wet straw ready for my November 2017 fertilizing .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  Empty Re: Cone shaped plastic composting bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )

Post  Kelejan 10/13/2016, 7:19 pm

I bet next year you will have jungle in which you will be lost.  Please take your iPhone or GPS Tracker with you.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  Empty Re: Cone shaped plastic composting bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )

Post  sanderson 10/14/2016, 2:21 am

Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/14/2016, 9:06 am

Dr. Who ... Daleks ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqY_3Cp-QoE

Dalek composter ... http://www.thechilliking.com/how-to-make-great-compost-with-a-dalek-composter/

Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  Catwalker123  Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  Catwalker123   Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  Catwalker123   Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  Catwalker123   Cone shaped plastic composting  bins ( a.k.a. DALEKS )  Catwalker123
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/14/2016, 2:37 pm

TD, I remember watching the Dr. Who when it first aired with the first, very old, Dr. Who.

It's funny how when I looked at it again on YouTube a year or two ago, he had become much younger.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/15/2016, 10:48 am

TD ,
The Chilli King  has nearly cracked the way to get   some tip top compost , but he's forgot to add his pee diluted with 20 parts of water and a few bales of wet straw sprinkled in the bin as it gets filled up  . He also forgot to move the contents out and put them back in  , to add a lot more air and mix the composts evenly once the bin got & stayed full for three weeks or so . .

Other than that it's a good write up . 

I've been encouraging one of my younger pals ( He's 47 years old ) to take the top & bottom off some of the food grade 40 gallon blue plastic barrels cutting along a fine drawn sharpie pen line with a 4 " thin bladed angle grinder  , cutting about 2 inches up the side walls . 
Then with what was the bottom  add some flat bars cut from the other piece you've taken off , bolt them on to give you four or  five  fingers round the edge so you can sit the bottom back on the cylinder without the wind blowing it away .  With a bit of thought you can also use the remainder of the filling end that you cut off  to fashion a decent handle for the lid as well .

Hey presto you now have Blue Rid girlfriend's for the Dalek's , I'm 100 % sure that they  will produce compost every bit as good as her boyfriends ,  so long as you feed and water them correctly .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum