Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? Toplef10Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? I22gcj10Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? Toplef10Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? I22gcj10Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle?

+5
Ginger Blue
Scorpio Rising
jimmy cee
sanderson
No_Such_Reality
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? Empty Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle?

Post  No_Such_Reality 8/27/2016, 10:23 pm

Enough said, saw many of these little guys tonight.  Those are striped cucumber beetles correct?   What's the best way to save the Jenny Lind cantaloupe it is on?

Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? Img_3510
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? Empty Re: Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle?

Post  sanderson 8/28/2016, 2:04 am

https://extension.umaine.edu/ipm/ipddl/publications/5038e/

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? Empty Re: Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle?

Post  jimmy cee 8/28/2016, 7:31 pm

Thats a tough battle. one I have been waging for many years. I have tried just about everything from traps to making my own flowers with attractant oils, etc without success. This season I may have started winning..Keeping beetles and others from getting to the vines. Netting, was so successful I actually had an abundance of cucumbers..My vines grew out of their protective nets and were therefore exposed to them...Netting is my way of going...pollination will be addressed

Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? July1_12
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/28/2016, 9:24 pm

I have the ones with spots.  Barriers seem to be the way to go!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 8/29/2016, 7:19 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:I have the ones with spots.  Barriers seem to be the way to go!
Spotted cucumber beetles do not over winter in the north, they move up from the south, run their course and die.
Striped beetle do over winter in the north, they run their course, leave eggs, hibernate to do their thing the following season.
Both beetles carry a built in virus called bacterial wilt. This disease prevents fluids from reaching areas in a plant, the plant withers and dies.  It cannot be stopped once infected.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 8/29/2016, 4:24 pm

Masses of these nasty little buggers have infested my garden, too.  Evil or Very Mad 

Here's a great article on various methods of control; perhaps employing some these ideas, along with the barrier methods mentioned in previous replies, would put a significant dent in the problem.  The comments posted below the article contain helpful information, as well.

http://www.highmowingseeds.com/blog/organic-control-measures-for-striped-cucumber-beetles/

GB
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 8/29/2016, 4:33 pm

jimmy cee wrote:Thats a tough battle. one I have been waging for many years. I have tried just about everything from traps to making my own flowers with attractant oils, etc without success. This season I may have started winning..Keeping beetles and others from getting to the vines. Netting, was so successful I actually had an abundance of cucumbers..My vines grew out of their protective nets and were therefore exposed to them...Netting is my way of going...pollination will be addressed

Jimmy,

What kind of net do you use, and how is pollination accomplished while the netting is in place?
Save
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/29/2016, 8:48 pm

Ginger Blue wrote:Masses of these nasty little buggers have infested my garden, too.  Evil or Very Mad 

Here's a great article on various methods of control; perhaps employing some these ideas, along with the barrier methods mentioned in previous replies, would put a significant dent in the problem.  The comments posted below the article contain helpful information, as well.

http://www.highmowingseeds.com/blog/organic-control-measures-for-striped-cucumber-beetles/

GB
Gardening humor from this article:  The beetle and the damage done...lol.....child of the 70s.... Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? 3170584802

Still, horrible pests.....yuk.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 8/29/2016, 9:44 pm

Ginger Blue wrote:
jimmy cee wrote:Thats a tough battle. one I have been waging for many years. I have tried just about everything from traps to making my own flowers with attractant oils, etc without success. This season I may have started winning..Keeping beetles and others from getting to the vines. Netting, was so successful I actually had an abundance of cucumbers..My vines grew out of their protective nets and were therefore exposed to them...Netting is my way of going...pollination will be addressed

Jimmy,

What kind of net do you use, and how is pollination accomplished while the netting is in place?
Save
 Joann fabrics utility fabric...$3.99 a yard. Wait for 60% off sale.
This netting has larger holes in it, some can get through, however I find there is enough distraction to keep many bugs out. When plants have become robust and full of flowering buds, I open at times...
Reason I use this net is, I like the durability, very strong, durable and will last.

Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? April_10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/30/2016, 4:45 pm

jimmy cee wrote:Spotted cucumber beetles do not over winter in the north, they move up from the south,
...south... can we have a discussion about your exporting these to me? I understand your not wanting to keep them, buuuuut....
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/26/2017, 5:11 pm

Ugh, not even June and I just saw my butternut squash hosting a cucumber beetle rave.  Sigh.
No_Such_Reality

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/27/2017, 12:52 am

No_Such_Reality wrote:Ugh, not even June and I just saw my butternut squash hosting a cucumber beetle rave.  Sigh.
Hey!  I don't now what you have done...

http://articles.extension.org/pages/64274/managing-cucumber-beetles-in-organic-farming-systems

Decent article.

Again:

https://www.highmowingseeds.com/blog/organic-control-measures-for-striped-cucumber-beetles/

They are bad motor scooters....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/27/2017, 8:29 am

I have done just about everything imaginable to deter these creatures. made artificial flowers with eucalyptus oils, in bottles painted yellow... made yellow sticky traps, and it goes on and on...The best is netting to keep them out. Next is to actually physically pick them when you can. They are frisky bugs and will take off quickly.. One good method is to carry around a glass of soapy water, when one is seen in a flower, hold the glass of water under the flower. When the beetle comes out they drop....right into the bath....LOL...I feel so elated when this occurs. Another, is a small  portable vacuum, can get them. I've also used a pair of long nose needle pliers, ( spring opened ) get them inside, many cases there are two together.
Dont believe all of the remedies for these critters,  I've spent years battling them..Best methods are netting...And remember, these cucumber beetles are extremely active at night, go out with a flash light...Have fun....
Another possible, Twice a season, these beetles populate, if you can plant late and sometimes get past the first batch , that can help. This needs to be looked into because it can change yearly with our erratic weather patterns nowadays.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/28/2017, 6:36 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
No_Such_Reality wrote:Ugh, not even June and I just saw my butternut squash hosting a cucumber beetle rave.  Sigh.
Hey!  I don't now what you have done...

http://articles.extension.org/pages/64274/managing-cucumber-beetles-in-organic-farming-systems

Decent article.

Again:

https://www.highmowingseeds.com/blog/organic-control-measures-for-striped-cucumber-beetles/

They are bad motor scooters....
Not much, that's what I've done.  That first article is even more depressing, imo.  Basically every thing listed is marginally effective short or using spinosad and blanket poisoning the entire garden.  

I suppose I could go pick beetles every night, but that is likely futile too.
No_Such_Reality

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/28/2017, 8:17 pm

I have used my dust buster on them. I will use spinosad on the plants but not the blooms.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/29/2017, 12:29 pm

I have a dust buster for squash bugs!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/29/2017, 12:36 pm

sanderson wrote:I have a dust buster for squash bugs!
this may sound naive, but how does a dust buster work on the dreaded squash bug?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/29/2017, 12:41 pm

this is the easiest way to kill cucumber beetles if you are doing daily walk thru in your garden. Fill a hand pump spray bottle with light weight mineral oil. one touch of the spray will stop them in their tracks. don't spray the entire leaf of the plant. the oil will suffocate the bug.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/29/2017, 12:53 pm

to treat the heavy armor squash bug, you will need heavyweight mineral oil. it stops them dead in their tracks. it like the roach on the TV commercial yelling out "RAID!!!" as the doom cloud is approaching. you just spray once, keep searching for others. when you come back they will be in a position as if frozen in time. really amazing to see it. no folding of the legs, no falling over, just stop dead in their tracks.

I quit growing yellow and zucchini squash because I just don't have time to look under those large leaves for the bug. if you have time, this is a quick organic fix.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/30/2017, 1:03 pm

Has, I vacuum them, especially adults with babies. One big swoop. Then dump the contents in soapy water.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/30/2017, 2:43 pm

has55 wrote:
sanderson wrote:I have a dust buster for squash bugs!
this may sound naive, but how does a dust buster work on the dreaded squash bug?

The dust buster vacuum's those cucumber beetles right up. Squash bugs are a different matter.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/30/2017, 4:46 pm

An interesting experiment ( I have no beetles this year ) I have no plants either....dissolve i a bar of ivory soap in a gallon container, when all done start with 1 tbsp per gallon. Try locating a cucumber beetle and spray it. The soap will ruin the bugs protective coating and then die...Try this and see if you can follow that beetle....I would love to have tried this..
This applies to all pests
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/30/2017, 5:19 pm

let me get this straight. A dust buster is a vacuum cleaner?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/30/2017, 5:59 pm

has55 wrote:let me get this straight. A dust buster is a vacuum cleaner?
A hand held vacuum cleaner.  This one is souped up but dust busters are not usually this large.  Even this one really has a hard time sucking up the squash bugs.
Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? Dust_b10

Here is another one.  This one was not powerful enough to get any Squash Bugs.  But it did work for smaller bugs such as cucumber beetles.
Saving cantaloupe from cucumber beetle? Dust_b11
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/30/2017, 9:03 pm

wow,excellent tools. Men, the women have you beat on this tool. excellent idea use for the garden.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next