Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 Toplef10What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 I22gcj10What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» So glad I watered...
by Emily49 Today at 8:31 pm

» Rogue strawberries
by Emily49 Today at 8:29 pm

» Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots
by Emily49 Today at 8:26 pm

» TD Painting
by mbrobb Today at 7:38 pm

» new eastern redbud looks like it might need attention
by bkrieb Today at 5:44 pm

» N&C Midwest—June 2020
by OhioGardener Today at 5:40 pm

» Experimental Asparagus Bed
by plantoid Today at 4:09 pm

» Eddie Willers 1st rookie mistake, what to do?
by Eddie Willers Today at 1:29 pm

» 2020 SFG in Brooks, GA
by yolos Today at 12:29 pm

» frustration
by Yardslave Today at 12:29 pm

» Oh, TURD...
by mollyhespra Today at 8:45 am

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:51 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing April, May, June, 2020
by lvanderb Yesterday at 8:42 pm

» What to plant now for Zone 10
by dstack Yesterday at 8:09 pm

» Be a couch potato or grow your own potatoes?
by Emily49 Yesterday at 1:05 pm

» mix of lettuce in one square
by OhioGardener 6/2/2020, 7:54 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by OhioGardener 6/2/2020, 7:41 pm

» Stroke - Country Naturals
by Kelejan 6/2/2020, 7:37 pm

» Just about got enough seeds sown & seedlings transplanted
by Emily49 6/2/2020, 7:33 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by Scorpio Rising 6/2/2020, 6:32 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by plantoid 6/2/2020, 3:17 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson 6/2/2020, 5:07 am

» Tomato disease help
by OldCrow 6/1/2020, 7:07 pm

» New England, June 2020
by Scorpio Rising 6/1/2020, 4:47 pm

» Mail order tomato plants
by Scorpio Rising 6/1/2020, 12:40 pm

» N&C Midwest: May 2020
by Scorpio Rising 6/1/2020, 12:37 pm

» Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.
by OldCrow 6/1/2020, 9:27 am

» The SFG Journey- Harvesting compost from rows
by has55 5/31/2020, 1:57 am

» The SFG Journey- preparing Hoops on SFG Beds for future shade cloth
by has55 5/31/2020, 1:37 am

» Panic Buying due to Cornavirus Pandemic
by yolos 5/31/2020, 1:00 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 Empty Re: What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today

Post  markqz on 4/6/2020, 11:34 pm

@OhioGardener wrote:Pulled the first Green Onions from this year's seeds. They were delicious with the dinner salad, too!

What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 Green_16

Wow! Were those under your cold frames ? I'm still waiting for my "walking onions" I planted months ago to take a hike.
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 Empty Re: What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today

Post  OhioGardener on 4/7/2020, 8:40 am

@markqz wrote:
@OhioGardener wrote:Pulled the first Green Onions from this year's seeds. They were delicious with the dinner salad, too!

Wow! Were those under your cold frames ? I'm still waiting for my "walking onions" I planted months ago to take a hike.

No, they weren't in the cold frame, except as seedlings.  I started the seeds indoors in early January under the grow lights, and moved the seedlings to the cold fram as soon as they were about 3" tall. They were transplanted into the raised be the 3rd week of February. As soon as they were in the ground, they took off!

I start onion seeds in 3 different batches, about 3 or 4 weeks apart, so that we have a long season of bunching onions.

Never plant without a bucket of compost at your side.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/7/2020, 2:22 pm

Alison picked three small carrots , a small leek & a big handful of young perennial kale for this evenings meal .

Laughing Now guess what we had with our braized steak , white & sweet mashed potato mashed up with a coupl of gratings of red Leicester cheese ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4003

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 4/7/2020, 3:00 pm

@plantoid wrote:Alison picked three small carrots , a small leek & a big handful of young perennial kale for this evenings meal .

Laughing Now guess what we had with our braized steak , white & sweet mashed potato mashed up with a coupl of gratings of red Leicester cheese ?
Nice bunch of kale for daughter-in-law.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5670

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/8/2020, 4:19 pm

Al had to make a cautious Corona enforced shopping trip today & came back pleased as punch at having managed to get everything on her shopping list .

As she unpacked she held up a 1 kg bag of carrots , saying " Look what I manged to get  , I picked the rest of the carrots yesterday "  . Puzzled I said , " Oh I thought there were a lot of small ones still in the bed" .

"  No my love , I picked every one of the carrots , you can now use if for the garlic bed " .

I went garlic bed gardening /carrot hunting. 

The carrot bed is nine inches down below the top edge of the raised beds brick work and had a thick layer of oak & hazel leaves etc. , not a bit of greenery on show in it . I scraped the leaves into a bucket to put in a composting bin . Lo & behold a few carrots were poking their heads up through the growth  medium in the bed.

Carefully easing out a couple of carrots , I then cleared the rest of the bed of leaves and was astounded to discover the bed is full of small carrots up to 4  inches long . I double broadcast sowed the bed with carrot seeds  in late May last year for I thought the first early April sowing of seeds had rotted due to the very wet spring & cold weather .. looks like  there were a lot of very slow germinating seeds instead .

Starting in one corner , I  kept pulling out carrots and filled a small pail with   3.3 kg of carrot ( 7 pounds approx. ) There is still 2/3 of the bed to go , it's looking like it will also be choc -a bloc with carrots .

Very Happy  Guess what we had to eat for tea tonight besides home grown garlic ,  onions in the minced pork & perennial kale ?  Laughing 

I cleaned ,topped & tailed the rest of the carrots and diced them into 1/4 inc cubes .. with luck tomorrow they will get pressure canned & the rest of the bed will get cleared to the same effect . As well as some carrot & coriander soups being made for tea time with the rest of the soup being frozen , then  heat sealed & vac packed .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco on 4/8/2020, 5:59 pm

That is awesome. I wish I would have "broadcast seeded" my beds with carrots...maybe at the end of this season.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1275

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz on 4/15/2020, 11:45 pm

Honestly, I'm not just reposting the same cauliflower Wink  What are the odds? I wait a hundred days or so and yet two heads need to be harvested in the same week. This one looked like it was about to break out:

What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 8MZUITJ
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 4/16/2020, 9:04 pm

So if you have Egyptian Walking Onions, you will not be disappointed!  They produce forever, naturalize in.  Give them a spot where they will be for a long time!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7534

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 4/18/2020, 4:07 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:So if you have Egyptian Walking Onions, you will not be disappointed!  They produce forever, naturalize in.  Give them a spot where they will be for a long time!
+1 Last year I pulled out all of the walking onion after bulblets were starting to sprout. I advertised on Craig's List for free WO or bulblets. I had 3 takers. Yesterday I pulled out 6 squares so the rotted bed could be rebuilt. Most of those will go into the green waste.

Walking onions and New Zealand spinach are 2 veggies that just keep on giving.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 19042

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 4/18/2020, 4:53 pm

@sanderson wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:So if you have Egyptian Walking Onions, you will not be disappointed!  They produce forever, naturalize in.  Give them a spot where they will be for a long time!
+1 Last year I pulled out all of the walking onion after bulblets were starting to sprout.  I advertised on Craig's List for free WO or bulblets.  I had 3 takers.  Yesterday I pulled out 6 squares so the rotted bed could be rebuilt.  Most of those will go into the green waste.

Walking onions and New Zealand spinach are 2 veggies that just keep on giving.
Agree!  I am growing Perpetual Spinach (thanks, OG for the suggestion!) and can’t wait!  But I love my Egyptian Walking Onions, thank you Judy !
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 4/18/2020, 6:03 pm

@sanderson wrote:Walking onions and New Zealand spinach are 2 veggies that just keep on giving.

And giving, and giving, and giving...my Egyptian Onions are about 30 years old and still going string. Many neighbors have gotten starts from them, and they all love them.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid on 4/18/2020, 7:12 pm

We had purple sprouting broccoli less than 10 min from garden to the plate tonight . It went well with venison steak ,  chips & soft fried carrots baton .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 4/27/2020, 1:42 pm

2 nice, little Serrano peppers for granddaughter, from the plant we over-wintered in the house, plus a bunch of cilantro from Katie's.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5670

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos on 4/27/2020, 6:14 pm

Broccoli, carrots, lettuce/spinach/chard for a salad.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3926

Back to top Go down

What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 Empty summer rolls

Post  LilBittyBean on 4/28/2020, 12:35 am

Made some lovely summer rolls today. Used basil, chives, cilantro, leaf lettuce, nadapeno peppers, and carrots (Amarillo and Danvers Half-Long) from the garden. My cukes aren't ready yet, so I used some from my local farm delivery and added in some rice noodles and baked tofu.
LilBittyBean
LilBittyBean

Female Posts : 73

http://www.southernplanteater.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 4/28/2020, 5:47 pm

Today we harvested 18-day radishes, green onions, and the last of the leaf lettuce from the cold frame. Makings for a great salad for dinner!

What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 Green_19

What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 18-day11

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 4/29/2020, 8:47 pm

8 radishes!  French Breakfast and a couple Sora and one random from a Chef’s Mix packet—all lovely.  I love radishes!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 4/29/2020, 9:26 pm

This week I've been harvesting parsnips. These were grown last year and left over winter in an old style amended soil SFG bed. They are delicious.
What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 Img_2678
trolleydriver
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5288

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz on 5/9/2020, 11:44 pm

Celeriac leaves/stems, beet leaves and bulb, massive purple kohlrabi and leaves:

What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 QWLIUi1
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra on 5/10/2020, 10:03 am

Mark, that long purple thing is the kohlrabi? I've never seen one do that before! Is it a different variety? I think mine is purple vienna but it's round.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1006

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz on 5/10/2020, 3:03 pm

@mollyhespra wrote:Mark, that long purple thing is the kohlrabi?  I've never seen one do that before!  Is it a different variety?  I think mine is purple vienna but it's round.

The variety is "Blauer Speck", which I assume means "Blue ball". I grew them 9 per a square per the good book. But they generated massive amounts of foliage, shading themselves and everything around them. Maybe the nitrogen boost from a first-time SFG?

The kohlrabi on the four corners leaned out and developed normally, though large. The ones on the inside grew lengthwise to compete for the sun, I assume. After harvesting the corners, the middle ones started to grow even more. I feel obligated to do something with all the foliage, so I my harvesting has been slow.

Meanwhile, the kohlrabi I planted in the front yard are barely growing at all, even though they should get plenty of sun. Maybe it's too hot? Maybe the compost isn't as good?
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz on 5/10/2020, 8:24 pm

Cherokee tomato growing since November.  I've carefully removed object references so you can imagine this the size of a football. It's actually about 2 inches or so.

What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 HWtaPBf
markqz
markqz

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 5/14/2020, 4:12 am

Garlic! I harvested 8 squares of soft-neck planted Oct 1, 2019. I'll post a photo when I get it all cleaned up and spread for drying. It's the best crop I've had since I started trying in 2013.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 19042

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 5/14/2020, 7:15 am

@sanderson wrote:Garlic!  I harvested 8 squares of soft-neck planted Oct 1, 2019.  I'll post a photo when I get it all cleaned up and spread for drying.  It's the best crop I've had since I started trying in 2013.
Do you leave the necks on your garlic, sanderson?  I have always cut them off, but I wonder if they store longer if you leave some on?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 Empty SAXX 2 Radishes

Post  OhioGardener on 5/14/2020, 11:13 am

Pulled the rest of the Saxx 2 Radishes today. They sure are delicious! Must order some more seeds...

What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today - Page 4 Saxx_210

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum