Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heat wave and shade screen Toplef10Heat wave and shade screen 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heat wave and shade screen I22gcj10Heat wave and shade screen 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Heat wave and shade screen Toplef10Heat wave and shade screen 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Heat wave and shade screen I22gcj10Heat wave and shade screen 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Today at 1:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Today at 1:26 am

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by middlemamma Yesterday at 6:24 pm

» Prefab compost question
by DMann Yesterday at 12:37 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:44 am

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:38 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 2/23/2024, 5:39 pm

» Hello from Surrey
by sanderson 2/23/2024, 12:29 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 2/22/2024, 10:50 pm

» Kitty Control
by sanderson 2/22/2024, 10:49 pm

» Western Mount/High Plains: Seed Planting Dates
by Turan 2/22/2024, 4:07 pm

» Jjean59 first SFG - 2024
by Scorpio Rising 2/22/2024, 11:00 am

» Winter Lag - Waiting for Sprimg
by sanderson 2/21/2024, 4:36 pm

» TDs 2024 SFG
by Turan 2/21/2024, 12:09 am

» Hello! From GA! Newbie
by sanderson 2/20/2024, 9:53 pm

» Sweet Potato Slips - Buy or Grow?
by sanderson 2/20/2024, 1:27 pm

» Seeds 'n Such Free Shipping
by sanderson 2/20/2024, 1:09 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 2/19/2024, 5:46 pm

» Hi from Central Oregon
by donnainzone5 2/18/2024, 5:50 pm

» Mealybugs?
by OhioGardener 2/17/2024, 11:02 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by OhioGardener 2/17/2024, 10:59 am

» Second Life for Determinate Tomatoes?
by OhioGardener 2/16/2024, 7:35 am

» Calling all juice bar waste composters...
by KiwiSFGnewbie 2/12/2024, 12:14 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 2/9/2024, 10:52 pm

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by sanderson 2/5/2024, 5:34 pm

» Homemade Seed Starting Mix
by sanderson 2/4/2024, 4:05 pm

» Stop warping in pine planks
by sanderson 2/4/2024, 3:56 pm

» Here's my purple cauliflower.
by markqz 2/1/2024, 11:40 pm

» Alfalfa Pellets and Epsom Salt for Tomatoes?
by sanderson 2/1/2024, 12:24 pm

» Bokashi
by sanderson 1/27/2024, 3:24 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Heat wave and shade screen

+6
yolos
jimmy cee
countrynaturals
CapeCoddess
sanderson
terryNeb
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Heat wave and shade screen

Post  terryNeb 6/16/2016, 4:07 pm

We are in the middle of our 8th straight day in the mid to upper 90's and are expecting at least 7 more days. Does anyone use sun shades over their garden to filter the sun? if so, to what degree sun/shade, 60/40, 50/50, or other. I have already set up screens on my peppers, tomates, and herbs at 60/40. just wondering what others do or don't do. also watering, in a heat wave, once a day, twice? Thanks in advance for the feedback. this is my first year so full of questions.
terryNeb
terryNeb

Male Posts : 22
Join date : 2016-03-09
Location : Omaha, Nebraska

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  sanderson 6/16/2016, 4:38 pm

I have read that a maximum of 50% shade. I have 75% but that was all that was available at the time I bought it. I open it up when the temps are down in the 80s and low 90s. We get up to 110*F so sun shade is so needed. Not much humidity but lots of scorching sun.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21454
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 75
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  CapeCoddess 6/16/2016, 4:42 pm

When we go over 85, I shade my tomatoes with burlap.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6824
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 67
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  countrynaturals 6/16/2016, 6:08 pm

I use 75% because, like Sanderson, that's what's available. I have to partially shade just about everything because of our hot, dry climate. All of my gardens are under trees for the same reason. If the seed packet says "8 hours of full sun," out here it really means "4 hours of partial shade."

I also water twice a day when the temps start pushing triple-digits. 1 gal. containers need even more than that.  Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  jimmy cee 6/17/2016, 9:13 am

terryNeb wrote:We are in the middle of our 8th straight day in the mid to upper 90's and are expecting at least 7 more days. Does anyone use sun shades over their garden to filter the sun? if so, to what degree sun/shade, 60/40, 50/50, or other. I have already set up screens on my peppers, tomates, and herbs at 60/40. just wondering what others do or don't do. also watering, in a heat wave, once a day, twice? Thanks in advance for the feedback. this is my first year so full of questions.

Hi Terry
This material is added in beginning of season, helps on the frigid frosts, bugs, and hot sun scald. I have 3 beds covered now. One has tomato's and pepper plants in then to see how they do.
The bugs kept out are what's needed as of now. I believe smaller bugs that could get in, become frustrated and leave.
It shades sunlight, however seems to al
low enough for those warm weather crops. my eggplants did nicely last season.
I have already had up to two planting in here, lettuce, chard broccoli and kohlrabi have been harvested.

Heat wave and shade screen May_6_10
Heat wave and shade screen Fri_ju10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 88
Location : Hatfield PA. zone 6b

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  yolos 6/17/2016, 9:48 am

jimmy cee wrote:
terryNeb wrote:We are in the middle of our 8th straight day in the mid to upper 90's and are expecting at least 7 more days. Does anyone use sun shades over their garden to filter the sun? if so, to what degree sun/shade, 60/40, 50/50, or other. I have already set up screens on my peppers, tomates, and herbs at 60/40. just wondering what others do or don't do. also watering, in a heat wave, once a day, twice? Thanks in advance for the feedback. this is my first year so full of questions.

Hi Terry
This material is added in beginning of season, helps on the frigid frosts, bugs, and hot sun scald. I have 3 beds covered now. One has tomato's and pepper plants in then to see how they do.
The bugs kept out are what's needed as of now. I believe smaller bugs that could get in, become frustrated and leave.
It shades sunlight, however seems to al
low enough for those warm weather crops. my eggplants did nicely last season.
I have already had up to two planting in here, lettuce, chard broccoli and kohlrabi have been harvested.
Here is a link to the product that Jimmy Cee uses.  I keep loosing the link so I have never ordered it or tried it.  I think I will try it this year as soon as I can find a coupon.

http://www.joann.com/mesh-white/1948439.html

Is this the correct link jimmy cee.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 74
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  jimmy cee 6/17/2016, 10:56 am

yes it is correct, 50% off a few days this week, I had to get some last week, 40% was my price.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 88
Location : Hatfield PA. zone 6b

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  has55 6/17/2016, 2:55 pm

I forgot, where you get the coupons for Joann?
has55
has55

Posts : 2378
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  jimmy cee 6/17/2016, 3:58 pm

has55 wrote:I forgot, where you get the coupons for Joann?
sign up for email notices, it will come from there
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 88
Location : Hatfield PA. zone 6b

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  terryNeb 6/17/2016, 5:12 pm

96 right now 91 tomorrow and 97 on Sunday. no rain in sight. Mid 80's next week. I have a lot of tomatoes set on and am now shading with the black mesh 60/40 sun/shade screen. watered through drip irrigation this morning and hand watered all boxes this afternoon. In this heat I don't think I can overwater. my table top boxes drain well. a little afternoon cool down should help I would think. My tomatoes have serious leaf roll which I am attributing to the heat. Will those leaves recover when it cools down? Still have new flowers on Tomatoes. This is my first year so am a bit nervous. My plants were doing so well.
terryNeb
terryNeb

Male Posts : 22
Join date : 2016-03-09
Location : Omaha, Nebraska

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/17/2016, 6:18 pm

Terry, I think the temperature relief and water will help the leaf roll. Hang tight! Are you taking notes? I don't think you can overwater either in these conditions. sunny
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8654
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 62
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  yolos 6/17/2016, 8:24 pm

jimmy cee wrote:
has55 wrote:I forgot, where you get the coupons for Joann?
sign up for email notices, it will come from there
Or, go to JoAnne's website and click on the coupon button.  There is a 50% off coupon there right now that is good thru Sat June 18.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 74
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/17/2016, 10:38 pm

yolos wrote:
jimmy cee wrote:
has55 wrote:I forgot, where you get the coupons for Joann?
sign up for email notices, it will come from there
Or, go to JoAnne's website and click on the coupon button.  There is a 50% off coupon there right now that is good thru Sat June 18.

Yolos, is your avatar from this year?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8654
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 62
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  yolos 6/17/2016, 11:14 pm

Yes.  I have harvested tomatoes 3 times in the last 10 days and am getting about that many tomatoes every time.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 74
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  terryNeb 6/18/2016, 9:24 am

Yolos, those Tomatoes look great, cant wait for Harvest time here if we can get through this heat. Actually had pretty good rain come through last night and still rainy this AM. Tomatoes still setting fruit but leaf roll has me concerned. I will try and post some pictures in the next couple of days. Thanks for all the replies everyone.
terryNeb
terryNeb

Male Posts : 22
Join date : 2016-03-09
Location : Omaha, Nebraska

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/18/2016, 9:39 am

yolos wrote:Yes.  I have harvested tomatoes 3 times in the last 10 days and am getting about that many tomatoes every time.

Lovely!

Do you can? I haven't since 8th grade Home Ec. But thinking about it. Our Extension Agency was supposed to be offering a canning class. My secretary's mom cans, she would probably be better than any class!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8654
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 62
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  sanderson 8/15/2017, 12:15 pm

Has55 posted this short YouTube video in another post.  As a user of shade cloth, I thought this would be a good over-view for folks needing shade cloth.


____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21454
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 75
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  CapeCoddess 8/15/2017, 12:38 pm

Gosh, Sanderson...you could have made that vid yourself with the wonderful shaded garden you have.
Very Happy
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6824
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 67
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  donnainzone5 8/15/2017, 1:16 pm

Sanderson,

Thanks for posting the shade cloth video!

BTW, I love Peaceful Valley!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2657
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 76
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  sanderson 8/15/2017, 3:33 pm

Thank you, I thought this video (being short and to the point) was a decent primer on various ways to protect plants. So many videos ramble on and on when the point could be made in 1 or 2 minutes.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21454
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 75
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  jimmy cee 8/16/2017, 2:15 pm

sanderson wrote:Thank you, I thought this video (being short and to the point) was a decent primer on various ways to protect plants.  So many videos ramble on and on when the point could be made in 1 or 2 minutes.  

LIKE ME,,,,ha ha ha...LOL
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 88
Location : Hatfield PA. zone 6b

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  sanderson 8/17/2017, 1:17 pm

You, ramble? Never. Very Happy

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21454
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 75
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  sanderson 6/25/2018, 3:32 am

Ken helped me get the shade cloths up this evening when it got below 100*F.  Yes, part of the sky was a yellow brown, most likely from a fire up wind.

Overhead paracord was put up a few days ago. Heat wave and shade screen Sun_sh10

Shade cloths up!  Polluted sky! Heat wave and shade screen Sun_sh11

12' x 16' area with most of the beds. Heat wave and shade screen Sun_sh12

Tomato bed protected overhead and on the west side. Heat wave and shade screen Sun_sh13

Shade over the cantaloupe area. Heat wave and shade screen Sun_sh15

Shade over the winter squash. Heat wave and shade screen Sun_sh14

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21454
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 75
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  jimmy cee 6/25/2018, 10:50 pm

yolos wrote:
jimmy cee wrote:
terryNeb wrote:We are in the middle of our 8th straight day in the mid to upper 90's and are expecting at least 7 more days. Does anyone use sun shades over their garden to filter the sun? if so, to what degree sun/shade, 60/40, 50/50, or other. I have already set up screens on my peppers, tomates, and herbs at 60/40. just wondering what others do or don't do. also watering, in a heat wave, once a day, twice? Thanks in advance for the feedback. this is my first year so full of questions.

Hi Terry
This material is added in beginning of season, helps on the frigid frosts, bugs, and hot sun scald. I have 3 beds covered now. One has tomato's and pepper plants in then to see how they do.
The bugs kept out are what's needed as of now. I believe smaller bugs that could get in, become frustrated and leave.
It shades sunlight, however seems to al
low enough for those warm weather crops. my eggplants did nicely last season.
I have already had up to two planting in here, lettuce, chard broccoli and kohlrabi have been harvested.
Here is a link to the product that Jimmy Cee uses.  I keep loosing the link so I have never ordered it or tried it.  I think I will try it this year as soon as I can find a coupon.

http://www.joann.com/mesh-white/1948439.html

Is this the correct link jimmy cee.
yes thats the link...I don't need any right now, if I did I would buy it at that price.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 88
Location : Hatfield PA. zone 6b

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  sanderson 6/26/2018, 1:11 am

I made a new topic about Jimmy's favorite white mesh so we can easily find it. Very Happy

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t22238-white-mesh-from-joann-s-fabric-for-insect-exclsuion#281520

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21454
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 75
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Heat wave and shade screen Empty Re: Heat wave and shade screen

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum