Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block Toplef10planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block I22gcj10planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block Toplef10planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block I22gcj10planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Home Depot Planter Wall Block

+8
Windmere
sfg4uKim
GrowRunner
dzlater
Scorpio Rising
CapeCoddess
Kelejan
yolos
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block Empty Home Depot Planter Wall Block

Post  yolos 5/13/2016, 9:57 pm

These look real easy to use to make your beds.  And I think they are reasonably priced at $2.47 each..  Has anyone used these before.??

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oldcastle-7-75-in-x-5-5-in-Planter-Wall-Block-in-Tan-Brown-16202336/206501693?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-206942399-_-206501693-_-N
planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block 6d2a627c-5cf7-4e49-ad26-856171e95a91_400
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block Empty Re: Home Depot Planter Wall Block

Post  Kelejan 5/14/2016, 12:38 am

Looking at pictures of a finished bed, I think one could easily insert 2" square wood to make frames for a plastic covered bed or for trellis.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block Empty Re: Home Depot Planter Wall Block

Post  CapeCoddess 5/14/2016, 6:52 am

Unbelievable!
"Item is not sold at your local store. Please choose an alternate pickup store."

My next door is over 30 miles away. ..
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/14/2016, 9:48 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Unbelievable!
"Item is not sold at your local store. Please choose an alternate pickup store."

My next door is over 30 miles away. ..

I thought the idea was that they would deliver them to your nearest store for you to pick-up there. That way, you have paid for them and they have a confirmed sale, not just putting the blocks in the store hoping for a sale.

A bit like a SEARS outlet where you used to order something from a catalog and you picked it up at your local outlet.  That saves the problem of having too much inventory that is never sold and eventually has to go on sale.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/15/2016, 2:15 am

They look like they would be a quick way to build a box without nails/screws. Too bad they are carried at each HD.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/15/2016, 9:27 am

Someone on this board used a kit with slotted ends like this....looks easy, theoretically!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  dzlater 5/15/2016, 5:25 pm

I used these to make my boxes. Super easy.

planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block Hellof10
dzlater
dzlater

Back to top Go down

Post  GrowRunner 5/16/2016, 11:13 am

I saw a sample set up at my local home depot of these and was also impressed.  I like how you can also lay boards down horizontally to make a bench of sorts along each side like this:

planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block Plante10

When my current beds break down and need a rebuild, I will definitely want to consider using these. Hopefully they're still producing and stocking them when that time comes.
GrowRunner
GrowRunner

Male Posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 5/16/2016, 10:01 pm

They're $3.27 here in central Maryland.

I cringed when they said in the video you can use pressure treated lumber.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/17/2016, 2:37 am

Kim, I know what you mean. I prefer plain wood. Personal preference.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 5/17/2016, 10:08 am

Wow, these a are pretty cool.  My HD has 210 in stock.  I showed them to my wife, and she thinks they are kinda ugly... however, the sample GrowRunner posted is actually asthetically pleasing.  I'm wondering if I could stain the joints one color and then the boards another (for contrast).

The one thing I'd worry about is having to rebuild as time goes by.  My vinyl boxes have some pretty good longevity.  However, my daughter's Greenland Gardener is still going strong after 3 1/2 years.

I browsed a little at the HD site, and I admired this elevated bed:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gronomics-24-in-x-48-in-x-32-in-9-in-D-Rustic-Elevated-Garden-Bed-REGB-24-48/203026815

Then I saw this for $517.00.  I admit I don't know much about bed construction, but I think this is highway robbery!  Seriously?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dekorra-62-in-L-x-46-in-W-x-16-in-H-Large-Rectangular-Plastic-Raised-Garden-Box-in-Orange-Burgundy-210-TV/203330399
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/17/2016, 2:38 pm

This is the start of my new bed.  Will have to wait until after the rain to start leveling the bed, cutting the wood from old pieces of 2 x 6' that I have lying around, and assembling.  It will be about 6 feet by 15 inches so it can fit between two columns.
planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block Hd_wal10

And this is what I will be planting there.  Flamingo Pole Beans will look gorgeous beside the pool.
planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block Flamin11
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/18/2016, 2:39 am

Windmere, Yikes! How many 4' x 5' boxes can be made with $517??? That box is way too expensive in my opinion.

Yolos, A gorgeous humongous garden, a green lawn AND a pool! Nice spread.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/18/2016, 7:23 am

sanderson wrote:Windmere,  Yikes! How many 4' x 5' boxes can be made with $517???  That box is way too expensive in my opinion.

Yolos, A gorgeous humongous garden, a green lawn AND a pool!  Nice spread.
Yea, land and other things are much cheaper in Ga so we can afford more.  I had a relative that lived near the race track in Anahiem (?) CA and her house and tiny yard costs more than my whole spread. But she did have peacocks and I don't.   I started with half the house unfinished (downstairs) and gravel driveway.  Eventually I finished the house and this week had the driveway paved. I have five acres with a lot of trees so there is only one spot for the garden.  Can't remove the trees or the HOA will see my garden.  Now the HOA association can stop sending me threatening letters about the driveway.  But if they ever see my garden, with all the trellises, a war may start.  The paper work I received before I purchased the land never said anything about paving a driveway or about having to have my landscaping approved by the HOA.  I guess things changed along the way after the original developers went bankrupt but nobody notified me.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/18/2016, 10:48 am

Thank goodness I do not belong to an HOA. I bet they would veto my predominated yellow painted house..

Naturally all of us have an obligation to keep our gardens and surrounds tidy so they it is not eyesores or dangerous in any way.

In our downtown we had one restaurant torn down at the owner's expense, due to abandonment and it being unsafe.  That was some years ago, then the  failing business next door burned down a couple of weeks ago  so that's two lots that could be used for SFG.  In the near centre of town a hotel burned down about thirty years ago and nothing has been done with that.  More SFG opportunity. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/18/2016, 4:11 pm

A vacant lot is a terrible thing to see. Wink

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/18/2016, 4:32 pm

Kelejan, are you familiar with Curtis Stone?  He's in BC too.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/18/2016, 5:17 pm

No ,NSR,  but thanks for showing his video.  He is in Kelowna and when I get to Kelowna I will try and look him up.

He certainly earns his money and knows what he is doing.

I will have to ask my friends Raymond and Manuel if they know of him. I expect everyone in Kelowna  must know Cutis Stone. Very Happy

This could be done on a smaller scale where I live and make a fair income from it providing one is a Curtis Stone.

Kelowna is a much larger City than ours and more densely populated and you would need to have your regular customers and that would be the hardest part.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/20/2016, 6:48 pm

Today was cloudy and dreary so I decided to see if I had enough wood to make the bed with the Home Depot concrete/cement corner pieces.  I am short about 3 feet of wood if I want to put on a top seating bench.  With the top seating rails it makes it look real fancy so I will probably go that way.  I still have to wait until after tonights rain to level the ground.  Once i get it level and in place then I can cut the top rails to fit.  Right now they are just sitting on so I can see how it looks.  Maybe I will also pick up some stain and or sealer to make the outside of the bed look even prettier.  Gotta have at least one nice pretty bed.  So here it is before I take it apart and level the ground and then cut the top rails to fit.

planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block Hd_wal11
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 5/20/2016, 9:53 pm

I think that is already looking pretty.  It's going to look great with the pool, nice compliment for the layout.  You really made those joints work well for you.  You may have inspired me.

Yeah it sure was dreary today.  I couldn't do the gardening I wanted, so I ended up making lo mein noodles and stir fried veggies (went to H Mart for a sauce).

A poor young man stopped by trying to sell me pest control services for my garden.  He sang the praises of their product derived from chrysanthemums (sp??).  I patiently listened, but then I made his head swim as I rattled off stuff about commercial pyrethrim (sp??), neem, etc.  I'm not his target demographic.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/20/2016, 11:44 pm

@yolos: Very pretty! Love it! Your grass looks like putting green grass! Mine is so growing.....

@windmere; that is great! You put that poor guy in his place! Pest control! To an SFGer? Homey don't play that!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/21/2016, 3:25 am

Yolos, Very attractive. I'm sure some will reconsider those blocks. If they are concrete, I think that should help hold the bed in place. Questions: Did you use 2" x 8" boards? Did you drive rebar through their centers?

I also had a pest control rep visit. I told him that I do organic gardening so no insecticides, herbicides. Told him I even talked to the neighbor's service man to be careful when he sprays. Husband and I do treat the foundation with a termaticide as we had a just wonderful experience with termites. But, I do the back yard and wrap the beds near the foundation with Saran Wrap!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/21/2016, 9:42 am

sanderson wrote:Yolos,  Very attractive.  I'm sure some will reconsider those blocks.  If they are concrete, I think that should help hold the bed in place.  Questions:  Did you use 2" x 8" boards?  Did you drive rebar through their centers?
The blocks are 5.5 inches tall.  They are made so a 2" x 6" (1.5" x 5.5") board fits perfectly in one block.  I am not sure about the rebar.  At the big box stores, I can only find 1 ft and 3 ft rebar.  What I need is 2 ft rebar.  The blocks (stacked together) sit 1 ft high so I can pound in the ground 1 ft if I can find 2 ft rebar.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/5/2016, 10:09 pm

Update on my new bed.  Working slowly on finishing it.  Stained and water sealed the outside.  I realize that by not water sealing the inside it was a waste of resources to water seal the outside.  But the stain/water seal was one product.  I wanted to make this box a little nicer.  It was quite a chore leveling the ground and I hope it all settles evenly.  We shall see.  I still have to cut, stain and add the top border but it is slowly coming together.  Also need to add a trellis, fill the box with a growing medium and plant my Flamingo Pole Beans.

planter wall blocks - Home Depot Planter Wall Block Hd_wal12
I considered painting the cement blocks but couldn't decide on the color so I just left them as is.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/6/2016, 5:28 am

What product did you use? I like the look of sealant on plain wood, gives a richer look.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next