Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016

+11
yolos
countrynaturals
BeetlesPerSqFt
p14shooter
Scorpio Rising
CapeCoddess
StrongAsMeat
sanderson
Mimi2
trolleydriver
Kelejan
15 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016

Post  trolleydriver 5/18/2016, 5:33 pm

Kelejan wrote:I used to ride a small motor bike and also a 1922 Vintage Velocette and took part in Road Time Trials. Great fun going all round the country in England and won a few trophies.

I realize that was when you were younger, but you continue to amaze me!
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/18/2016, 6:34 pm

Not surprising in the least! tongue
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  StrongAsMeat 5/18/2016, 8:30 pm

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 Tumblr_o7eec28ohL1ry549vo1_400

So I got my grids set up, I chose wood dowels, as my boards shrunk after I built the boxes, and there was a small gap. I hammered the ends of the dowels to flatten them and they fit very nicely. I will use zip ties to bind them all together so they don't move though. 

I have a question though. Right now I have 36 squares, and 16 different veggies, plus I'm considering getting 2 more types. Is 18 too many veggies (using 2 squares each)? Are there some that I should plant more squares or less squares?

What I have is:
Green beans
Peas
Peppers
Swiss Chard
Spinach
Mix lettuce
Cucumber
Zucchini
Spaghetti squash
Carrots
Coriander
Broccoli
Cantelope
Cabbage
Cherry tomatoes
Regular tomatoes

Want to add head lettuce and green onions.

Any advice? Thanks guys and gals!
StrongAsMeat
StrongAsMeat

Male Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/18/2016, 10:10 pm

Here are some observations but I am sure more experienced SFGers will provide better advice.

Keep in mind that some things like Zucchini are going to take up a ton of room. If you have to grow it in an SFG box I would place it at a corner so that it can overflow outside the box. Personally I do not grow it in my SFG boxes because of the size.

Green beans ... are they pole beans or bush beans? If pole beans they need a trellis or support.

Peas most likely will need support (e.g., trellis) as well.

Last year I grew the following (that you have on your list) in my SFG: Peppers, Swiss Chard, Spinach, Lettuce, Carrots, Coriander. They all did well except for the Pepper.

Cucumber ... I grew it successfully last year but it needs a trellis.

Cabbage ... I grew it last year. It did well but it can easily overflow its square.

Broccoli ... This year I am trying it in a couple of squares (one per square).

Spaghetti Squash and Cantaloupe ... if they are vining they are best grown with a trellis. If not they are going to take up a lot of space and probably will need to overflow outside the box. I grew Honeydew Melon last year on a trellis in the SFG.

Cherry tomatoes and Regular tomatoes ... Are they determinate or indeterminate (vining)? If determinate I expect they will take a lot of space.  If indeterminate they will need a trellis or other support and I suggest that the suckers be removed.

Last edited by trolleydriver on 5/18/2016, 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/18/2016, 10:12 pm

I just learned the hard way that spaghetti squash is huge like zucchini. I thought it would only be the size of cucumbers. Live and learn. Hopefully I can transplant a couple of them into containers without hurting their feelings.

I put all my climbers on the outsides so they can wander off the reservation and save space in the squares for the ones that can't travel.

I'm still learning, so hopefully someone else will come along with more info. Good luck. CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 3170584802
Trolley gave you some good advice while I was posting. Very Happy
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  StrongAsMeat 5/18/2016, 10:45 pm

Thanks for the great advice. I can make a trellis in between the two beds, there's 4' of space, and have the cukes, zucchini, squash, peas, cantelope, and both tomatoes (ind) climbing on it. It might have to be made of rebar. Laughing 

My beans are bush so I guess I'll be ok.  I'll stick to one cabbage and broccoli because we won't eat much of it.

Boy this gardening stuff is harder than is seems.  Very Happy
StrongAsMeat
StrongAsMeat

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/18/2016, 11:26 pm

As others are saying the zucchini is the biggest problem -- and the spaghetti squash since countrynaturals is saying they are like zucchini in terms of space requirements. The ANSFG book lists 9 squares per zucchini, and that's about what happened when I grew one last year. It was just a big plant, there wasn't any vine to train. 

Assuming you put trellising on the long sides of the beds - and that they are in the back, facing south, so they aren't shading the rest of the boxes. Here's what I'd do:
Box 1
[1Tom][1Tom][1CherryTom] [1CherryTom] [8Bean][8Bean]
[1Pepper][1Pepper] [4Chard] [4Chard] [4?Head Lett.] [9Spinach]
[1*Cilantro] [Lettuce] [16carrots] [16carrots] [16green onions] [1*Cilantro]
- This assumes your tomatoes can be trained vertically,
- and gives you the opportunity to grow pole beans
- * I'm growing 4 cilantro per square, but the book says 1

- regarding head lettuce - if it's a large heading type it might be 1/sq, rather than 4 like the other lettuces
- 8 chard plants seems like a lot to me, but it's probably because I don't like it much. I don't hate it, but I'm not growing any.

Box2
[[1Melon]]     [8peas][8peas]     [[Z]]
[1broc [   ] 1cbg]      [9spinach]    [[Z]]
[1cbg  [   ] 1broc]     [16green onion] [4lettuce] [4?Head lett.]
- /\ unless you have compact cabbages and broccoli, 2 per 3 squares may work better.
- I'm trying to show the one zucchini plant having free reign of a 2x2 block initially, and letting it take over the peas, spinach, and lettuce squares rather than replanting them.
- 1 Melon takes 2 squares when trained up a trellis

I see you've replied with more info, but I think I'm out of brains for the night and I don't know how/whether to adjust what I've typed. So.... sawing logs
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/19/2016, 12:07 am

SAM, another thing to remember is being able to preserve what you grow, whether by freezing, dehydrating or canning.

Secondly, what do you like to eat? e.g. Last year I started canning and went bonkers, canning everything I could, whether I grew it or was given it. My apple tree produced an abundance, so I froze, canned and dehydrated.  Although I like apples, I ate as much as I could and gave away the majority.  It took up space and canning jars.  I loved my canned peaches, so this year I am doubling them.  I like a few pickles, but I canned five pounds of them and have loads left over. Eventually I will have to get rid of some of them to free up the canning jars. I tried one or two other things that were not very successful.

I have doubled my strawberries because I love them. I omitted to buy tomatoes at the height of the season so I had a shortage of tomatoes.

I certainly learned a lot last year.

What does your DW like to  cook? What are her favourites? Any dislikes?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/19/2016, 12:17 am

It was been very dry this last month and late this afternoon we had a thundertorm and lots of lovely rain.

About an hour before I had been enjoying a lazy day, then the wind started up, blowing the trees and shrubs and giving me due warning as I had left some outside jobs in the middle yesterday and had not cleared up.

So I spent a productive hour clearing up the area where I had left an unfinished pile of earth and plantain leaves and roots that I had taken from my lawn. I cleared that up, then planted some radish, spinach and lettuce seeds; watered them in as I am sure they would have been washed away. Then put out other plants  that were in pots  that were residing in my car port so that they would catch the rain. Cleared away my tools in to the shed, then parked my plastic wheelbarrow under the shed roof edge to catch the rain. Ten minutes after I had finished the rain pelted down and the road was running like a river.

It gives me such a self-satisfied feeling when things come together like that. Cool
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/19/2016, 1:54 am

Kelejan wrote:It gives me such a self-satisfied feeling when things come together like that. Cool
Good job!  cheers I wasn't feeling good, so I got absolutely nothing done today.  Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/19/2016, 6:59 am

Kelejan wrote:
I used to ride a small motor bike and also a 1922 Vintage Velocette and took part in Road Time Trials. Great fun going all round the country in England and won a few trophies.
Boy would I love to see a photo of that!

Country, don't want to burst your bubble but squash does not like being moved.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  StrongAsMeat 5/19/2016, 7:26 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Assuming you put trellising on the long sides of the beds - and that they are in the back, facing south, so they aren't shading the rest of the boxes. Here's what I'd do:
Box 1

(Awesome info)

OMG Beetles, that is fantastic info. I'm really having second thoughts about the zucchini now.  Wink

Kelejan wrote:What does your DW like to  cook?

I've been married going on 18 years this summer, and my wife may have cooked 10 meals in that time.  I'm not keen on canning, but I do plan to give away extras at work.
StrongAsMeat
StrongAsMeat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/19/2016, 8:08 am

SAM, if you put trellising on the long side of the bed, how are you going to reach in for weeding if you have to stretch up to three or four feet?

So you do most of the cooking?  My DH managed to do toast if he was starving. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/19/2016, 8:21 am

CapeCoddess wrote:
Kelejan wrote:
I used to ride a small motor bike and also a 1922 Vintage Velocette and took part in Road Time Trials. Great fun going all round the country in England and won a few trophies.
Boy would I love to see a photo of that!
CC
I do have some photos of that somewhere. All black and white as they were taken so early in my life at the time of the Suez Canal crisis. What miffed me  was that I had to ride with Learner-plates all the time as driving tests were suspended for a long, long time. These time trials were done on public roads.  It was not racing done on a track. One had to keep to speed limits and read a map and get to certain points within +/- one minute to get a first-class award. Courses were generally about 60 miles long.  One treated a vintage motor bike gently. I actually passed my driving test on that bike. My car driving test was taken on a 1936 Austin Seven.  Those two vehicles would be worth quite a small fortune nowadays.

BACK ON TOPIC: After the welcome thunderstorm and rain we had here yesterday afternoon the roads are drying up so I do not think we really had much.  I will check my rain gauge in a bit.  Hopefully the seeds I planted just before the thunderstorm were not washed away as the rain was pretty heavy.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/19/2016, 9:30 am

countrynaturals wrote:
Kelejan wrote:It gives me such a self-satisfied feeling when things come together like that. Cool
Good job!  cheers I wasn't feeling good, so I got absolutely nothing done today.  Sad
Giving your body rest so you can recover is something. Not doing other things so that you can do that is hard work (admittedly of a different sort). Take it easy even if you feel better today (and I hope you do!) so that you *stay* better.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/19/2016, 10:10 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:
Giving your body rest so you can recover is something. Not doing other things so that you can do that is hard work (admittedly of a different sort). Take it easy even if you feel better today (and I hope you do!) so that you *stay* better.
Thanks, Beetles. My eyes popped open before 6am. It's now 7:07 and I've already transplanted kale, Brussels sprouts, & leeks. Also cleaned up a bunch of construction debris and found a dozen pots to transplant milkweed into, in readiness for Monarch season.  Cool I should have read your post first, cuz now I'm pooped already and back on the couch. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 Empty Confused

Post  Margay77 5/19/2016, 12:28 pm

So, yesterday I could 'quote' someone and respond.

Today it tells me that I cannot send external links or emails.  Which I wasn't doing, I was just responding to an earlier post. Shocked
Margay77
Margay77

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/19/2016, 12:50 pm

Margay77 wrote:So, yesterday I could 'quote' someone and respond.

Today it tells me that I cannot send external links or emails.  Which I wasn't doing, I was just responding to an earlier post. Shocked
I am not too good at this sort of thing, Margay, so I am hoping sanderson or camprn will just in and rescue us.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/19/2016, 12:59 pm

Checking my rain gauge this morning after yesterday's downpour the reading was 20mm (7/10 of an inch),  Not bad.

But, we have seven day's rain forecast, perhaps that will be a bit too much?

I have an undercover job I want to do while we have this rain spell so I am off to the hardware store to get a few deck screws of the right size that will fit into the holes I drilled using a one size too large a drill.  I placed the current deck screw into the hole and it slid right in. I had not checked it first.  Embarassed So I will take my deck screw and find either a slightly thicker one and see if the grips both pieces of wood together. I did check the depth of the screw so I was halfway there.

Please do not ask me to build a shed, let alone a house. The most I have managed so far is building SFG beds, but that was an accomplishment as the first two beds I had to pay for the wood to be joined together and it was not cheap.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/19/2016, 2:23 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:And some who can't find vermiculite have been known to use... What the heck are those little white circles that float called? Darn, it's tough getting old... LOL
CC
darn funny I can be staring at something and not remember its real name.

Last edited by sanderson on 5/19/2016, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/19/2016, 3:12 pm

StrongAsMeat wrote:I have a question though. Right now I have 36 squares, and 16 different veggies, plus I'm considering getting 2 more types. Is 18 too many veggies (using 2 squares each)? Are there some that I should plant more squares or less squares?

What I have is:
Green beans [plant 4 squares of 8-10] Trellis
Peas [plant 4 squares of 8-10]  Trellis
Peppers
Swiss Chard [1-2 per square]
Spinach [under-plant a couple here and there]
Mix lettuce [ditto, under-plant here and there]
Cucumber [2 per square, 2 squares] Trellis
Zucchini [build a 2' x 2' box and let it do its thing]
Spaghetti squash [1 per square, 2 squares]  Trellis
Carrots  [16/square, 2 squares]
Coriander
Broccoli [1 per square, as many as you like]
Cantaloupe [1 per square, 2 squares]  Trellis
Cabbage [1 per square]
Cherry tomatoes [1 per 2 perimeter squares]
Regular tomatoes    I'm assuming indeterminant so Trellis for support, 1 per 1 1/2 squares. Maybe trellis on these on a west side to provide afternoon partial shade for the rest of the plants]

Want to add head lettuce and green onions. [no experience with head lettuce.  Green onions as many as you like, planted every couple weeks or so for continuous supply.]  
Bush beans and peas are an option to minimize trellis use.  Yolos has long 2' wide beds  with double trellises for beans and peas - easy to tend to from both sides.  I'm trying it this summer for beans and cucumbers.  Isn't it fun to think of all the things you can plant?  I keep adding beds - very addictive!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  StrongAsMeat 5/19/2016, 7:42 pm

sanderson wrote:

Bush beans and peas are an option to minimize trellis use.  Yolos has long 2' wide beds  with double trellises for beans and peas - easy to tend to from both sides.  I'm trying it this summer for beans and cucumbers.  Isn't it fun to think of all the things you can plant?  I keep adding beds - very addictive!

Hi Sanderson, thanks for the tips. The Gardeners website has a super cool feature that lets you create your garden plan, more your veggies around, and it gives you tips on each one. Based on all your guys' great feedback and this planner I just finished seeding, and now I have my plan, until I get my markers. Next year I'll look into an indoor greenhouse type of system to start my seeds earlier. I have a few weeks to build trellises  now. 

And now we wait...   

Cheers all!
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 3170584802
StrongAsMeat
StrongAsMeat

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/20/2016, 9:11 am

This is it! This weekend is the Victoria Day long weekend in Canada in celebration of Queen Victoria's birthday. In my area it's the weekend for getting the transplants into the garden.

High Temperatures for the weekend are forecast to be 77F (25C). Beautiful.  Next Tuesday it could get up to 88F (31C). No rain in the forecast until Wednesday.

happy banana happy banana happy banana happy banana happy banana
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 Empty WooHoo!

Post  Margay77 5/20/2016, 2:30 pm

trolleydriver wrote:This is it! This weekend is the Victoria Day long weekend in Canada in celebration of Queen Victoria's birthday. In my area it's the weekend for getting the transplants into the garden.

High Temperatures for the weekend are forecast to be 77F (25C). Beautiful.  Next Tuesday it could get up to 88F (31C). No rain in the forecast until Wednesday.

happy banana happy banana happy banana happy banana happy banana
Us too!  I'm so excited.....ready to rock 'n roll in the garden all weekend! CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 3170584802
Margay77
Margay77

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/20/2016, 6:05 pm

Some photos from Mrs TD's gardens today. 

Kelejan and sanderson ... if this is not the correct thread to post this none-SFG stuff please let me know.

Bleeding Heart.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 IMG_1774_zpsjuguw376

I'm not sure what this.  Some kind of vine ground cover.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 IMG_1773_zpsw5ynhwds

Another ground cover or is it a weed?
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 IMG_1772_zpsagesdnmn

Lilac starting to bloom.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 IMG_1771_zps21i6mmoj

Neighbour's crab apple tree. Blossoms are not yet open.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 IMG_1770_zpshvu6kuoi

This is Celery that was started indoors from the root end portion of a store bought Celery (we ate the rest of the plant).
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in May, 2016 - Page 6 IMG_1768_zpsks1ykd83
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next