Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic??  Super small too. Toplef10Garlic - 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic??  Super small too. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic??  Super small too. I22gcj10Garlic - 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic??  Super small too. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic??  Super small too. Toplef10Garlic - 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic??  Super small too. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic??  Super small too. I22gcj10Garlic - 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic??  Super small too. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

1000's of aphids attacking my garlic?? Super small too.

5 posters

Go down

Garlic - 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic??  Super small too. Empty 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic?? Super small too.

Post  Windmere 4/23/2016, 12:17 pm

Gosh guys, I had a very rude awakening just now.  There are thousands of aphids infesting my garlic:

Garlic - 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic??  Super small too. Dscf7016

I've been stripping them off and I'm thinking about applying some mild Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap/water.  I don't think I've ever had this problem before.  Providentially, Pike Nursery (nearby in Peachtree City, GA) is offering free lady bugs with any purchase (I think maybe all weekend, but at least today for sure).  I know releasing those is "iffy" but the price is right.

Also, I dug up one of my garlic "bulbs."  They really are more like green onions because the bulb is non-existent.  Previous years, test digs showed a rather large bulb as of April.  I think I read that Jimmy fertilized his with blood meal?  I bought some the other day, so I think I'll apply it today. 

Do you think there's hope?  All comments welcome.  Smile
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Garlic - 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic??  Super small too. Empty Re: 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic?? Super small too.

Post  CapeCoddess 4/23/2016, 12:32 pm

Holy cow! I didn't know that garlic ever got attacked by anything. I like to Dr. Bonner's idea if you can't get rid of them with a hard blast of water.

I think it's bone meal that is used with root veggies. Couple years ago I had some bone meal leftover from when I started my asparagus bed and so I sprinkled it in the garlic box before I planted my garlic. Last year was my best garlic harvest ever. I forgot about when I planted the current bed and for some reason didn't think I should apply it after the fact. I'll be watching for the answer to that.

What ever you do, good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Garlic - 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic??  Super small too. Empty Re: 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic?? Super small too.

Post  yolos 4/23/2016, 1:12 pm

Windmere wrote:Gosh guys, I had a very rude awakening just now.  There are thousands of aphids infesting my garlic:

Garlic - 1000's of aphids attacking my garlic??  Super small too. Dscf7016

I've been stripping them off and I'm thinking about applying some mild Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap/water.  I don't think I've ever had this problem before.  Providentially, Pike Nursery (nearby in Peachtree City, GA) is offering free lady bugs with any purchase (I think maybe all weekend, but at least today for sure).  I know releasing those is "iffy" but the price is right.

Also, I dug up one of my garlic "bulbs."  They really are more like green onions because the bulb is non-existent.  Previous years, test digs showed a rather large bulb as of April.  I think I read that Jimmy fertilized his with blood meal?  I bought some the other day, so I think I'll apply it today. 

Do you think there's hope?  All comments welcome.  Smile
My garlic bulbs are not forming either.  But at least I don't have aphids on the garlic.  I just noticed them starting on the fava beans though.  I thought about the lady bugs at Pike's also but at the time I made my decision not to get any, I didn't have any aphids.  Now I have to reconsider.

I hate aphids.  Everybody says to use a strong blast of water.  That did not work for me when they attacked my Cowpeas last year.  I actually sprayed the stem and rubbed my fingers down the stem as I sprayed it.  Of course they came back.  I did it again and they came back but fewer this time.  Then I bought some insecticidal soap and sprayed.  They came back again and I sprayed the insecticidal soap again.  Finally they stopped.  Look around and see if you have any ants.  If so, you can also get rid of the ants and that will help.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 4/23/2016, 10:00 pm

Thanks for the responses CC and yolos.  Those aphids started to really creep me out when they began crawling up my arms (and stuff like that usually doesn't bother me).  Thanks for the input about the insecticidal soap yolos.

Well, my SOS text to my wife about the aphids led to her and my daughter stopping at Pike.  Not only did they get the free lady bugs, but they bought a tub of them as well.

Tonight, I sprinkled water all over pretty much all the foliage we have outside and then I released them.  I put lots on the garlic, and after they started to come to (they were refrigerated to slow them down), they looked like they were examining the aphids.  I'll check it out tomorrow.  I also put them on shrubs (gardenias and the like) and roses, misc. flowers, etc.  I would have taken some photos, but my camera battery died on me.

This afternoon, after really feeling around the garlic, I noticed that their soil was very sandy in consistency.  I now know that I (tragically) had added compost when I planted them but did not compensate with peat moss.  Three years have taught me what MM should feel like, and my garlic MM was way off.  It makes sense that after three years, my boxes need a peat moss refresh.  My garlic is exceptionally small in every way.

I mixed a light amount of compost and blood meal along with a generous amount of peat moss and got the MM feeling right again. I worked that into the box with my fingers, gently incorporating it pretty deep.

CC, I've always known bone meal to be good for bulbs too.  I usually use some when I plant Dutch bulbs in the fall.  However, I have it in my head that garlic likes blood meal.  In fact, the Amazon page I bought from mentions garlic liking blood meal:

http://www.amazon.com/Down-Earth-5-Pound-12-0-0-7807/dp/B000CO80OM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00+

I did some cursory research online and I'm finding a few hits on blood meal and garlic (and actually bone meal used in tandem).  I'm reading about folks dressing their garlic in April/May.  Perhaps I can rescue this situation.  I'll keep you all posted.

Last edited by Windmere on 4/23/2016, 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added some text)
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 4/23/2016, 11:00 pm

Ok, I have some more info to add to my post above about my activity this afternoon:

I now know for sure where I got it in my head about garlic and nitrogen.  Last year I bought myself a splurge book, "The Complete Book of Garlic" by Ted Jordan Meredith.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Garlic-Gardeners-Growers/dp/0881928836?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

In the section on cultivation, it mentions that nitrogen is the fertilizer amendment most needed and beneficial.  Essentially, moderation is the key though.  Reference is made to a University of Minnesota publication (Rosen et al. 2007) that recommends avoiding nitrogen applications after the first week of May to avoid delayed bulbing.  The publication also noted that nitrogen amounts can be reduced if the ground was previously planted with nitrogen-fixing crops like soybeans or peas (ahem yolos).  Organic soils and rotation of nitrogen-fixing crops can eliminate the need for supplemental nitrogen applications.

As you might imagine from the title, my book is exhaustive in its treatment of the subject, so I'm just putting it in a nutshell.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/24/2016, 4:41 am

this work for me when they attacked my mustard greens about 45 days ago.
aphips

ORGANIC CONTROL: Strong blasts of water, garlic-pepper tea, liquid seaweed, and the release of ladybugs and green lacewings. Citrus oil spray can be used for heavy infestations. Biological sprays are also now available. Plant oil products will also work.

To control aphids, plant adapted varieties, encourage biodiversity especially beneficial insects such as ladybugs, lacewings, hover flies, and predatory wasps. Avoid heavy amounts of fertilizers. Spray infested plants with strong blasts of sugar water and release ladybugs. Garlic-pepper tea, Garrett Juice with garlic, neem, and citrus oil based sprays will also help. 

Garlic Pepper Tea Recipe
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/24/2016, 10:02 am

Windmere, my 2 cents' worth on the ladybugs: I had a major yellow aphid infestation on my milkweed last year, really bad. Water blasts and soap mixtures doing only temporary damage. Serendipity brought actual ladybugs to my yard, and it was like the Cavalry came to town! They were cleaned up in no time! And I didn't have a ton of ladybugs, just a handful--they must be voracious little things! Hope you see some of the same with your little army. flower
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down