Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
seedling pics Toplef10seedling pics 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

seedling pics I22gcj10seedling pics 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
seedling pics Toplef10seedling pics 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

seedling pics I22gcj10seedling pics 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

seedling pics

+7
mschaef
CitizenKate
CapeCoddess
ralitaco
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
landarch
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

seedling pics Empty seedling pics

Post  landarch 3/24/2016, 5:34 pm

fter yesterday's wild weather swing (70 degress, hail, snow), thought I'd update with some seedling pics.

spinach seedlings...done the Kate method (snip with clippers, soak in fridge, germinate in paper towel, plant).
seedling pics Spinac15
previous spinach seeding in soil blocks...poor germination rate after 3 days in fridge but no snipping or soaking.  germination has picked up when tray is left out overnight in cold temps.  Kate's method much better.  I seeded empty blocks with lettuce so I may have a mix over the next week or so.
seedling pics Spinac14
beet seedlings in soil blocks...need to thin and plant.  there are youtube videos showing people "shattering" beet blocks and using all the seedlings...I may just thin and plant the blocks.
seedling pics Beet_b10
carrot seedlings survived the hail and snow over the last 24 hours...I started these in tiny soil blocks (20 block maker from Johnny's Seeds) and transplanted a few weeks ago.  True leaves coming on.  This should save a lot of thinning time.  I direct seeded last week and those are just popping through as of this morning.
seedling pics Carrot12
more cole crops (italian kale, kilo slow bolt chinese cabbage, napa cabbage, and romanesco broccoli).  I love the color of chinese cabbage varieties.
seedling pics Chines10
healthy, hairy tomato stems...finally getting the rest of the peat pellet tomato seedlings to germinate...makes it tricky when in the same tray under the same light height.
seedling pics Hairs10
flat of igloo lettuce...future lettuce wraps. I am also doing buttercrunch...would love to start some Boston Bibb if I have time/ space.  Took a pass on all romaine and leaf types this year.
seedling pics Igloo11
Tomato and pepper forest...I set out in sunshine on warmer days...bring in over cool nights.
seedling pics Lights10
king arthur peppers potted up in the last few days...I use a combo of mels mix and Happy Frog potting soil with mycorrhizae.
seedling pics Pepper11
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

seedling pics Empty Re: seedling pics

Post  sanderson 3/24/2016, 5:45 pm

seedling pics 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/24/2016, 6:55 pm

rock on nice!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/24/2016, 8:18 pm

WOW!!! That is great. I haven't tried to start my own transplants from seed, but...

Do you have enough squares to plant all of those or do you not plant them all at once?
Also where do you do that? my wife would kill me if I started putting out trays of seeds all over the house.
With the starter trays, grow lights, etc, is it really cost effective to start from seeds?

Thanks in advance.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 3/24/2016, 10:02 pm

I have space in an unfinished basement for the grow-light set-up, and I keep trays in stackable plastic crates that tulip bulbs are delivered in...I try to carry outside for natural light when I can...if temps cooperate seedlings stay out all night...if cold I have to bring back inside which the wife does not appreciate as they tend to find a home upstairs.

Market rate for seedlings is around $2-$3 for tomatoes and peppers...maybe a 4-pack of cabbage for $2.99...so if working with a low number of plants it may be more feasible to buy.  However, for a few years I tried to grow peppers with purchased seedlings and picked horrible peppers...average size with paper thin walls.  I asked a farmer from a local market about secrets to growing good peppers.  He said avoid seedlings for sale at local retail and garden centers as the genetics are crap.  Find good seeds of good varieties from good sources and start your own.  Since then I've grown gorgeous peppers (Yolo Wonder, King Arthur, Aristotle).

A couple years ago I ran into three 4' Sunleaves T5 grow light fixtures with both sun and bloom lamps for free.  This got me started, however these crank out a lot of heat (have to keep grow mixes watered constantly) and they are heavy.  I have equal luck with $11 4' shop lights from Walmart...very light with little heat.

I have about 180 squares as well as a 25x25 spot in a local community garden where I sell seedlings to help pay the annual fee for my plot.

In addition, starting your own seeds is a great way to extend the season...seed catalogs come right after Christmas, first seeds are started in Jan/ Feb, then again in July for fall plantings.

If one spends money wisely it can be cost effective...just like anything else you don't really want to spend $100 in materials to grow $50 worth of vegetables.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/24/2016, 11:15 pm

landarch,
thanks for your detailed answer.
I think I am still in the small stage with only 48 squares total and with no basement nor garage, I don't think I have room to do a bunch. However, in the future, I may try to just do some tomato or peppers, maybe 8 of each and see how that goes.

I also was wondering about converting one or more of my beds into a cold frame/greenhouse. They are elevated, so I would need to figure out how to "insulate" underneath, but I am thinking closing it up and/or putting hay bales or pine straw underneath would work...Oops, there I go rambling with my crazy thoughts for more projects.

Thanks again for the detailed answer, I look forward to seeing how your seedlings do
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/25/2016, 4:21 am

All of this reminds me of my first seedling in 2013.  My husband make 2 boxes from scrap wood.  I lined them with 4 mil plastic and made removable top covers.  They stayed outside during the day and we brought into the kitchen as the sun went down.  There were around 64 seedlings.  [days later I ran across this Forum and had husband make 4 small boxes.  The rest is history]  For some some with out indoor space for a light set-up, this is a possibility. seedling pics Seedli11

seedling pics Seedli12

Bird's eye view of yogurt cups, my first seedling cups. seedling pics 3-2-1310

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/25/2016, 10:09 am

sanderson wrote:All of this reminds me of my first seedling in 2013.  My husband make 2 boxes from scrap wood.  I lined them with 4 mil plastic and made removable top covers.  They stayed outside during the day and we brought into the kitchen as the sun went down.  There were around 64 seedlings.  [days later I ran across this Forum and had husband make 4 small boxes.  The rest is history]
How cool. I wonder how many boxes he's made since then?

sanderson wrote:seedling pics Seedli12
This is what I envision my 2x8 beds to look like. Put plastic on both sides of the 2x's to create an air gap, add a small heater and voila, mini greenhouses
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/25/2016, 11:45 am

Beautiful, landarch! You must be retired...?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 3/25/2016, 11:55 am

I wish...maybe in another 20 years...I'm in my mid forties with a 3 and 5 year old.  Had to get the frost blankets out after kindergarten open house last night...then did taxes in bed on the ipad...first ever soccer practice the night before...sigh.

The garden will go on cruise control at some point.

Kansas can be really fun in the spring...in the same weekend one can help friends burn the prairie, go crappie fishing, shoot a turkey, and hunt for morels.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/25/2016, 12:42 pm

landarch wrote:After yesterday's wild weather swing (70 degress, hail, snow), thought I'd update with some seedling pics.
Very nice! What do you do with the tomatoes in peat pellets when it's time for feeding? I just tried some for the first time, and they're all getting their first true leaves now. I'm thinking they'll need something soon.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 3/26/2016, 12:25 am

landarch wrote:I wish...maybe in another 20 years...I'm in my mid forties with a 3 and 5 year old.  Had to get the frost blankets out after kindergarten open house last night...then did taxes in bed on the ipad...first ever soccer practice the night before...sigh.

The garden will go on cruise control at some point.

Kansas can be really fun in the spring...in the same weekend one can help friends burn the prairie, go crappie fishing, shoot a turkey, and hunt for morels.
I started when I had a 1 year old. After dinner or before depending on time frame to go out and water the gardening together with our buckets and red solo cups. He loved it so much and even reminded me sometimes to water. He turns 9 next week and still loves to help in the garden.

Sorry to high jack the seedlings thread but want to share my experience with gardening with kids. Also I'm highly jealous of you beautiful seedlings! Your doing awesome!
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/27/2016, 9:37 am

Landarch
You must be doing something really correct because you have gorgeous looking seedlings there.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/27/2016, 9:49 am

Very nice, Landarch!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/27/2016, 9:28 pm

First day out for a bit of sunshine. Tomatoes are 100%. Some peppers failed to germinate, along with quite a few herbs. Winter squash and 3 types of cucumbers caught up nicely (rear). Even though I oven baked the old MM, there is a mold on top of some of the pots. seedling pics Seedli10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/27/2016, 11:28 pm

Do you fill your seed starting containers with less mix for the tomatoes? That's what I started doing a couple of years ago.

Nice array of seedlings!
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/28/2016, 8:29 am

CitizenKate wrote:Do you fill your seed starting containers with less mix for the tomatoes?  That's what I started doing a couple of years ago.

Nice array of seedlings!
The Bayou Gardener on you tube has a video of doing just this, 1/3rd cup when planting tomato seeds, then building as he goes along...good idea in my opinion..
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/28/2016, 9:48 am

jimmy cee wrote:
The Bayou Gardener on you tube has a video of doing just this, 1/3rd cup when planting tomato seeds, then building as he goes along...good idea in my opinion..
Exactly.  I saw all that stem coming out of the seed starting cups a few years ago, and wondered if it would make a better seedling if I sowed the seed in less soil, then add more soil to bury the stems when they get tall enough.  It does.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/28/2016, 2:33 pm

Yes, I filled the cups 2/3 full.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/28/2016, 7:20 pm

Great.  I did not do that.  My little starters were topped off.  Dang it!  When I pot up, I will know to bury them a bit deeper!

Nice seedlings getting their first sunshine, Sanderson!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 3/28/2016, 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to compliment the seedlings!)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/29/2016, 12:17 am

No worries, you can compensate at transplant time, SR. But next time, you know how to give them a little head-start.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/29/2016, 10:28 am

landarch wrote:...done the Kate method (snip with clippers, soak in fridge, germinate in paper towel, plant)

Can you explain or point me to the "Kate method"?
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 3/29/2016, 10:43 am

The Kate method is quickly explained in the snippet you copied from my post...I don't know how to find or link to her original post..it had directions an good pics.

Basically she snipped the seed coat of each seed with nail clippers, then soaked in a container of water in the fridge overnight, then placed the seeds in a paper towel to germinate, then plant the seeds that had germinated (but don't wait too long).  It's a good way to not waste time, material, space on seeds that may never germinate.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 3/29/2016, 11:14 am

When I pot-up I kick my mix with a little home made compost and purchased soil mix with mycorrhizae (Mycorrhizae are symbiotic relationships that form between fungi and plants. The fungi colonize the root system of a host plant, providing increased water and nutrient absorption capabilities while the plant provides the fungus with carbohydrates formed from photosynthesis.).

You will find this marketed as Myke in garden centers...for trees, shrubs, veggies.

I try to get my seedlings hardened off and under natural sunlight as soon as possible...I typically set all my plants outside before heading to work in the morning...covering with Agribon when temps are in the 30's.  Easter morning it snowed then temps rose to low 50's, it was 75 degrees under the Agribon blanket.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/29/2016, 2:17 pm

ralitaco wrote:
landarch wrote:...done the Kate method (snip with clippers, soak in fridge, germinate in paper towel, plant)

Can you explain or point me to the "Kate method"?
Here is the Kate Method of Germinating Spinach.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t20284-problems-getting-spinach-seeds-to-sprout-try-this?highlight=spinach
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum