Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 Toplef10Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 I22gcj10Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 Toplef10Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 I22gcj10Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds?

+8
BeetlesPerSqFt
Mikesgardn
sanderson
CapeCoddess
zackshea
AtlantaMarie
Scorpio Rising
sfg4uKim
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 Empty Pea Plants

Post  zackshea 4/14/2016, 8:20 am

I have always heard peas don't transplant well.  Some of my peas didn't come up this year, but I was able to take some of the peas I thinned out and replant them.  They seem to be doing fine.  I made sure I didn't break the roots at all when I plucked them out of the ground
zackshea
zackshea

Male Posts : 79

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/23/2016, 7:17 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Wow what a coincidence to see the mention of "Winter Sowing" on the SFG forum. It was only about an hour ago that I watched several YouTube videos on "Winter Sowing". I came across them by accident as I was looking for information on starting peas indoors. Some say peas do not transplant well because they do not like their roots disturbed. From what I have seen on the Web they can be transplanted.
I’ve heard  the not transplanting well advice, too. I opted for pre-soaking very carefully.  I put the peas in wet* paper towels with no more than a few drops of ‘free’ liquid in a dish/container, and put that in an open plastic bag. I checked them once a day, but only added a little more water. I sowed the first set after 55hrs. I estimate I had 3% over-soaked unplantable peas, and 5% plantable but under-soaked peas.  I could have planted hours sooner but I wanted to wait until late afternoon.  It was tricky carefully getting the peas to be root down in their holes, but the germination rate was well worth the effort! (First ones showed green above ground 5 days after sowing the pre-germinated seeds.) Additional attempts seem to indicate that either different varieties hydrate at different rates and/or it’s difficult to be precise with the amount of liquid available.

*Using a solution of water and vitamin C because some website suggested it. I don’t know what the vitamin C does.

BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds?

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/23/2016, 10:46 pm

ABout half of my snap peas are up, and I have them them on 2 trellises, but if no more of them germinate, I will have not enough peas/trellis to make send with the square footage dedication. I will be trying to move them all onto one of the trellises. They are still really young, 2" max. Got stunted by the cold big time. Learned my lesson this year on timing.... No
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/25/2016, 1:54 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:ABout half of my snap peas are up, and I have them them on 2 trellises, but if no more of them germinate, I will have not enough peas/trellis to make send with the square footage dedication.  I will be trying to move them all onto one of the trellises.  They are still really young, 2" max.  Got stunted by the cold big time.  Learned my lesson this year on timing.... No
Sorry to hear about the cold hurting your peas. :-( It's such a tempting gamble to plant early. When it works, it's so rewarding!

I held off on planting my peas because of a frigid night in the forecast that ended up being 19°F. But now my peas are not as far along as my original plan, and some of the varieties may not do their thing before it gets too hot.

Next year I'll try to have some sort of short row frost covers already on hand, so I can start earlier ... though I'm not sure if even average frost covers are effective once one gets to 19°F.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 5/6/2016, 9:00 pm

I know this is the Mid-Atl region and that I'm from the Lower South, but I hope y'all will look past that and help me out. Smile

I am trying to grow some Tromboncino squash. I have planted seeds in the MM 2x and don't have anything to show for it. The first time was about 1 month ago and I thought maybe it was too cold still. I planted some about 2 weeks ago and still nothing.

So, I am thinking I will try planting some inside and do the transplant route; however, I have never started seeds inside. I looked online and boy oh boy, are there plenty of suggestions. So I figured I turn to the SFG forum and folks to see what the easiest method would be.

I have MM, compost, paper towels, seed trays from other transplants
I do NOT have vermiculite, grow lights or any idea what I am doing.

I look forward to hearing your simple, easy to follow instructions to start a squash plant. Thanks
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/6/2016, 9:54 pm

ralitaco wrote:I know this is the Mid-Atl region and that I'm from the Lower South, but I hope y'all will look past that and help me out. Smile

I am trying to grow some Tromboncino squash. I have planted seeds in the MM 2x and don't have anything to show for it. The first time was about 1 month ago and I thought maybe it was too cold still. I planted some about 2 weeks ago and still nothing.

So, I am thinking I will try planting some inside and do the transplant route; however, I have never started seeds inside. I looked online and boy oh boy, are there plenty of suggestions. So I figured I turn to the SFG forum and folks to see what the easiest method would be.

I have MM, compost, paper towels, seed trays from other transplants
I do NOT have vermiculite, grow lights or any idea what I am doing.

I look forward to hearing your simple, easy to follow instructions to start a squash plant. Thanks
I have the same problem with my Tromboncino squash.  No germination in the garden.  I planted it at the same time and in the same spot as my Butternut Squash.  The Butternut squash germinated a few days ago but not the Tromboncino.  I dug down in the planting hole and the seed was just sitting there with no sign of germination.  Just today I got out my plastic seed starting pots and cleaned them.  Tomorrow I will try to plant some seeds inside and baby them to see if I get germination.  

I am using seed starting mix (I think this year I used Burpee seed starting mix).  Many people here just use MM.  I might try one in a damp paper towel just to see if I can get it to germinate.

You don't need grow lights.  As soon as they peek their little heads out of the seed starting mix I plan on planting them outside.  Or, this time of year, you could just set them in the sun until you are ready to plant in the garden.

Hope someone else will come along and help a little more.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/7/2016, 4:41 pm

MM and seed pots indoors will work. You're trying to get them to germinate. Once they pop up, like Yolos said, you can take them outside for some sunshine until they get big enough to transplant. Last spring, I had trouble getting cantaloupes to germinate in their bed.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/7/2016, 5:22 pm

Germination rate on the trombocinis I planted last year was very poor. I think it was 50% or less and it took a long time. I had actually given up on them. When they finally grew I was thrilled but I got no fruit from them. Actually I got fruit but it never grew a flower. The little fruit just turned yellow, shriveled up and died.. There's someone on the forum, I can't remember who, that has fantastic luck with Tromboncino. Hopefully they will chime in.

Oh, I should add that I have zero luck transplanting squash so I have to start them by direct seeding.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 5/7/2016, 6:06 pm

Thanks everyone, much to my surprise when I checked the beds this evening...
Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 01699310
Say hello, to my little friend! flower
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/7/2016, 6:51 pm

That's no fair ralitaco.  I want one.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 5/7/2016, 10:02 pm

yolos wrote:That's no fair ralitaco.  I want one.
lol!
I went to my mother's today to put up some trellis' for her for mother's day, and her tromboncino plant was about 6" tall and it was planted the same time as my first ones. Go figure. thinking
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/8/2016, 2:28 am

Hello. Friend. happy hi

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/10/2016, 10:07 am

Starting with yogurt cups, to the final plant ready to add to the beds, it has become as interesting as the SFG program itself.
Allowing me to continue my gardening experiences through out winter, I can plant seeds any time of the year. This gives me lots of experience so I'm able to hopefully be successful when needed..
Below is a series of images on what I am doing..hope it helps some one.

yogurt cups bottoms cut out, teflon bottoms, great for bottom watering
Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 112

Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 212

Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 412

Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 512
Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 612
Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 712
Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 812
Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 912
Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 1011
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/10/2016, 10:26 am

Really nice jimmy.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/10/2016, 1:00 pm

Really nice, Jimmy.  What all do you have going there?
okay
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/10/2016, 1:19 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Really nice, Jimmy.  What all do you have going there?
okay
CC
tomatos, peppers, cucumbers, cabbage, kohlrabi, romaine, swiss chard, bee balm, lemon balm, rosemary, eggplant, broccoli, celery, probably to much, much better if you aske me what is it I'm not growing, zinnia, nasturtiums, sunflowers, borage,  and on and on
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/10/2016, 4:33 pm

Mid-Atl - Mar 2016 - How do YOU start seeds? - Page 2 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2