Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Brix scale and tomato choices Toplef10The Brix scale and tomato choices 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Brix scale and tomato choices I22gcj10The Brix scale and tomato choices 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Brix scale and tomato choices Toplef10The Brix scale and tomato choices 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Brix scale and tomato choices I22gcj10The Brix scale and tomato choices 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Brix scale and tomato choices

5 posters

Go down

The Brix scale and tomato choices Empty The Brix scale and tomato choices

Post  Windmere 2/11/2016, 2:57 pm

This year I became aware of the Brix scale.  Evidently, this is a test for sugar content to discover sweetness.  I am perpetually on a quest for the sweetest tomatoes to delight my wife as she "pops candy" in her mouth while visiting my raised beds.

My wife fell in love with Sungolds and she expects those to be planted every year (or else!  ha ha).  My wife could care less about whether the tomato is a cherry size or a standard average/large size.

However, I've always wanted to plant some variety for her... but all need to be in line with top sweetness.

This year, I discovered the "Dolce Vita" cherry tomato.  These apparently grow in clusters, sort of like grapes.  I bought the seeds from Neseed of Connecticut.  Neseed purports that Dolce Vita registers an 11.0 on the brix scale, which is crazy high.

I've also read some good reports regard Rosada, Piccolo and Golden Sweet.  It's tough to find those though.

Anyone else have some good ideas on sweet tomatoes?  The four I've mentioned I've only recently heard of.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

The Brix scale and tomato choices Empty Re: The Brix scale and tomato choices

Post  sanderson 2/11/2016, 6:07 pm

I know giltch about Brix, but here is a previous post on this Forum. Wait, Brix and wine grapes sounds familiar.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t17393-brix-tests-for-nutrition-density?highlight=brix

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/12/2016, 6:07 am

http://www.healthy-vegetable-gardening.com/brix-scale.html - link to brix chart
http://www.healthy-vegetable-gardening.com/brix-level.html - link to general brix information

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

The Brix scale and tomato choices WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  katjohn83 2/12/2016, 1:45 pm

Years ago when my grandfather passed away, I got his tools. In the toolbox what was I now know a refractometer. He was a big gardener. I remember him having as a kid a huge garden, maybe 50' x 50'. I never know what that tool was used for and now I know. I wonder if I still have it stored away somewhere. If I can find it, I will have to try it out. That is what makes this forum great. You always learn something new.
katjohn83
katjohn83

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/12/2016, 2:26 pm

Might as well carry this Brix subject a little further. Who has one? Recommendations? The cost varies widely so just like all gardening/kitchen tools, budgets, durability, accuracy, etc., comes into play. Yes, I'm getting the itch to buy one. Embarassed

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/13/2016, 8:04 am

I have a honey refractometer, but it Doesn't measure on a brix scale. Such a handy dandy tool.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

The Brix scale and tomato choices WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/13/2016, 1:26 pm

From what little reading I did yesterday, they come in different ranges, depending on whether it is for heavy sweeteners or lower reading plants.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

The Brix scale and tomato choices Empty Very interesting - Quest for perfect 12?

Post  Windmere 2/13/2016, 5:44 pm

Wow, thank you everyone for your amazing input on this thread.  Camprn, I noticed in one of the charts that a tomato testing at 12 is "excellent."  I realize that soil and growing conditions could probably affect this score... but my big questions is:  Which tomatoes have the potential to actually attain that 12 score.  Given the fact that MM is so rich, I think we'd already soil quality factors under control.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/14/2016, 11:51 am

Windmere wrote:Wow, thank you everyone for your amazing input on this thread.  Camprn, I noticed in one of the charts that a tomato testing at 12 is "excellent."  I realize that soil and growing conditions could probably affect this score... but my big questions is:  Which tomatoes have the potential to actually attain that 12 score.  Given the fact that MM is so rich, I think we'd already soil quality factors under control.
I don't really have an answer to that, but with a bit of internet digging you may find some published research on the issue. One thing to keep in mind is that Mel's Mix is just a starting point for getting a SFG up and running quickly. The quality of your MM, and the garden soiI-less mix in subsequent years, will be entirely dependent upon the quality of compost you put into the box.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/14/2016, 2:02 pm

camprn wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that Mel's Mix is just a starting point for getting a SFG up and running quickly. The quality of your MM, and the garden soil-less mix in subsequent years, will be entirely dependent upon the quality of compost you put into the box.

That's a good quote to keep in mind. I think the quality of subsequent compost plus time for the microbes to multiply makes subsequent beds even "richer".

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/14/2016, 3:18 pm

camprn wrote:I have a honey refractometer, but it Doesn't measure on a brix scale. Such a handy dandy tool.
 One of my honey refractometers was graduated in  Brix  , the other was percentages of water  in the honey ( ( This one was supplied at cost by a large international food group that I sold tonnes of honey to .

Whilst I was in my first civil  employ after coming out the Army I had the misfortune to work in a factory, one  that made SODASTREAM concentrate.

Usually I was making 30 thousand litres of syrup at a time, each day . Then over watching the bottling in pint plastic bottles of the finished concentrate for people to make their soda pop at home .

The lab obviously did god only knows how many tests . A Brix meter was my only bit of test equipment and this one was graduated in numbers from 0 to 1.0 , each different formula had it's own specific reading to check against .

So I suspect that each Brix meter may well be calibrated for each product .

About 23 yrs ago I was attending a talk with the former head honcho of the New Zealand agriculture ministry dept that dealt with the nutrients and elements found in the ripe veg & fruit .  His main theme /offering was how much food value has been lost in the last 25 ( up to 1990 )  years because of agricultural specialization / development  of crops and the commercial harvesting producing low value hybrids that looked good on the shelf and kept for two weeks or so .

He told us that because of detailed records & the same testing regime they had it was known 10 day old picked oranges had over 50 % less vitamin C these days than those grown at the end of world war two .  Tomatoes , plums , pears and apples were also discussed with similar results

He claimed that the best tomatoes are always grown in an animal dung based growth medium as this usually has all the trace elements & minerals that are not often found in commercial chemical fertilizers  . I learnt that almost all  manner of commercial crops are picked green or still very unripe and finished off in climate and atmosphere controlled airtight sheds nearer to their point of sale .

He said what has been known for many generations , "Pick your toms & other crops as ripe as you dare let them get before they go soft or fall off & they will have the highest levels of sugar and nutrients " .

On a personal note I feel that hydroponic grown toms are not a patch on those grown as above .

Here in the UK we have a couple of contenders for the sweet toms  they might be available in the USA.
They are :-
Orange panache  and Sakura which are similar & the Sakura also has a good resistance to tomato virus and fusarium wilt .

Sun cherry premium F1 hybrid is also supposed to score very very well & has I think been recommended  by the RHS as tomato of the year for sweetness..

I suspect it is because of the above toms being the smaller cherry sized one that they will quickly get the maximum  nourishment from the tomato vine and that's why they are much sweeter than the larger toms .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 2/14/2016, 10:10 pm

Regarding compost, so true Camprn.  I wish I were better about making my own, but I do make sure to honor the code of a 5 compost mix every year.

Plantoid, I enjoyed reading your comments very much.  It's interesting that it was a British website that I found to be most helpful in explaining the Brix scale.  It mentioned some the the tomato varieties your mentioned in your closing remarks.  Unfortunately, I can't find that website again!  I can't remember which search engine I used, and that seems to make a difference.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/16/2016, 5:39 am

Roughly what were the terms/ words you used for the search engine ?

Try this in your search engine  the one I used is Google , there are no end of places to look ,
" Explain the brix sugar tester scale "

I saw a reference to tomatoes  in one of the results offered .

Those toms, should be in the likes of the catalogues for "  Suttons seeds , Thompson & Morgan seeds or Fothergill seeds .. so perhaps  do a search for them adding " UK " on the end .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 2/17/2016, 11:20 am

Plantoid, thanks for your help in helping me duplicate my search engine research.  I did take a look at the results by using your suggestion.  I saw some interesting information, but I did not see the study I originally read.

I did another search though.  I simply typed in "High brix tomatoes."  I came across some great information from the Royal Horticultural Society.  They listed their top ten highest brix cherry tomatoes.

You can read about this here: 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/articles/graham-rice/10-cherry-tomatoes

I came across another article that simply said that a Brandywine can have a brix rating as high as 14.0.  I read an article in one of my Organic Life magazines that also sang its praises.  I actually bought some organic Brandywine seeds from Sustainable Seed (they seem to have sold out I just noticed).  I've vascillated so many times about planting the because I've also read about their fickle nature as well as their disease vulnerabilities.  Ultimately, I decided to go with disease resistant varieties... I may reconsider.

Oh, I also came across a VERY LONG article written by Rex Harril.  I read all of it, but I will admit that I glazed over during some parts.  What I carried away from it was some thought provoking information regarding the history/development of the refractometer. 

Here's the link:

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/fruitquality.html#ORIGIN%20OF%20THE%20WORD%20BRIX
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down