Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing mint Toplef10Growing mint 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing mint I22gcj10Growing mint 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Growing mint Toplef10Growing mint 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Growing mint I22gcj10Growing mint 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 6:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 5:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:38 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 2:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 1:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 12:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 10:28 am

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 3:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/22/2024, 9:33 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 4:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 11:09 am

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 8:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 8:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 4:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 7:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 1:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 7:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 2:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 7:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 5:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 5:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 3:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 12:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 10:46 am

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 4:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 7:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 6:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 1:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Growing mint

+9
milaneyjane
janetgouvas
Lavender Debs
Retired Member 1
Ha-v-v
Megan
Chopper
SirTravers
Toastie
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Growing mint Empty Growing mint

Post  Toastie 5/8/2010, 8:35 pm

I just found out about Chocolate Mint and bought a small 4x4 container and would like to add it into my garden
Has anyone had any luck with an invasive plant like mint
I am hoping to plant it also around the garden maybe in the regular ground to help keep the ants out but worried it might come up from under the box
I am going through that with Virginia Creeper Ivy right now. Pulled up some roots that are 4" in diameter
Toastie

Back to top Go down

Growing mint Empty keep it in containers

Post  SirTravers 5/8/2010, 8:39 pm

Mints will really take off if you let them free where you live. Can we say Kudzu? Keep it in containers and save yourself a lot of grief later. Smile
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Growing mint Empty Re: Growing mint

Post  Chopper 5/8/2010, 8:42 pm

Not only that, I had mint in a container and the roots ended up filling the container to the point it no longer held any water - it was weird. I was glad it was isolated but I still haven't been able to dig everything out of that container yet.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Toastie 5/8/2010, 9:18 pm

So I should just build a 1x1 square or use something larger. What should I do with the bottom
What in plants repel things, it is it the plant or the smell

For some reason I got the evil idea to plant this in someone I do not likes garden
Toastie

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/8/2010, 10:25 pm

Any separate pot will do. the normal Mel's mix ought to do it - 6" ok too. I would expect anyway. Apparently you can just spead mint leaves on the garden. It seems to go well with cabbage and tomatoes and repels a variety of pests.

Deters white cabbage moths, ants, rodents, flea beetles,
fleas, aphids and improves the health of cabbage and tomatoes. Use cuttings as a
mulch around members of the brassica family. Mint flowers attract hoverflies and predatory wasps.
Earthworms are quite attracted to mint plantings. Be careful where you plant it as mint is
an incredibly invasive perennial. We have found that placing peppermint
cuttings (fresh or dried) where
mice are a problem is very effective in driving them off!
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/9/2010, 2:31 am

Growing mint in a container will not necessarily keep it contained. Trust me on that one! I started some lemon balm in the ground, realized my mistake when it turned into a ravening monster, and transferred it to a container. It bloomed and was very pretty, then winter killed it. Thought nothing more of it until the next year.... apparently it had air-seeded. It's been YEARS now and we still have little "friends" popping up in our lawn, the neighbors' lawns.... *whistles innocently*
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/9/2010, 3:25 am

LOLOLOL Megan !! I can picture someone with their hands in the pockets, walking by "whistling innocently" lolololololololol OH look how nice "their" lemon balm is honey. lolololol For me Im want my apple mint to take off like a weed I use it in my water and want to use it for other things we will see. I know I will have work later, but for now Smile I will be ok.

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/9/2010, 3:51 am

Laughing Well, the sad thing is that after it *ahem* naturalized and became endemic to the local area, it doesn't smell or taste like lemon balm anymore. There is no mistaking it, though!
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/9/2010, 4:12 am

Wow, it assimilated with the other plants maybe taking away its scent? I wonder.. or it was the borg of all plants Smile and said its futile and you will be assimilated. I was going to buy a pot of lemon balm as well, I was reading the properties of bug repellent. I still want one. I am going to allow my apple mint to a big spot of its own in the garden too, so I will be pruning in years to come. Will think twice though about how big their spot will be. At this point no neighbors on the other side, other than the occasional horse.
llolol still laughing about the whistling. lolololololol
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/9/2010, 4:56 am

Just beware... my lemon balm was almost 5 feet high before I whacked it back. ;-)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/9/2010, 5:09 am

Yes this was my plan ( I always have plans ) Plant them in one section where I will have my sitting area. Then that area would always need a manicure. I like pruning and tending to the plants like that. I have this vision of sitting there taking a break and getting a breeze to carry the mint to me Smile

Happy Gardening Growing mint Icon_flower
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 5/9/2010, 5:12 am

I'm growing four kinds of mint in a large tractor tire -- they love it! I also have parsley and basil in the tire, but by the end of the season, it will be all mint. That way I have the advantage of mint without the invasiveness. I pull off leaves and scatter then around the veggies. Really can't say if it's doing any good, but it trims the plants some. And I figure it really can't do any harm. I once had some English mint in the ground that spread to an area 4x8' in two years. We named her "Audrey". Growing mint Icon_biggrin
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/9/2010, 5:28 am

Nice @ the tire setup, and I am laughing about Audrey. My rosebushes in the front yard are my only plants with names. I am a bit weirded out by the backyard rose, though... I may have to name it Changeling or some such. (It changed colors on me!)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/9/2010, 7:17 am

I read the same page toasty read. It said that both oregano and mint are repulsive to cabbage moths (that leave the little green caterpillars on broccoli) Since both oregano and mint are invasive I took a small pot of chocolate mint that I had, potted up a mess of spearmint from another project and a bunch of oregano from another garden, balanced them on the lattice that makes my squares where the broccoli is and have actually watched the moths avoid that box. I didn’t see any yesterday (the first nice day in a long while) We shall see how well this works as broccoli season progresses.

Growing mint May_6_12 The squares along the starboard and back edge hold broccoli babies. Shortly after the picture I put the black pots on the lattice. That is all it took. Humm, today I'm putting the plastic away, that looks yucky.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Growing mint Empty Growing mint

Post  janetgouvas 5/9/2010, 7:36 am

My only experience with mint has been harvesting it out of the fields before it was mown down. I dried a crop of it in bunches every year so I could have mint tea for the winter. One year my sons had a party and the youngest sold my dried mint to some of the kids and told them it was "weed". When I came home there were kids all over my back yard smoking mint and having a real good time. I made my son give me all the money. I had to buy mint tea from the grocery all winter.

That was in Ohio and gardening is a lot different here in Az. Now I'm planning to put it in a big pot. Probably under the faucet that leaks when I turn on the hose to water everything else. Growing mint Icon_biggrin

Janet
Surprise, Az.
janetgouvas

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  Toastie 5/9/2010, 1:29 pm

lol I know ioffically know I am a bad gardener
The chocolate mint I bought yesterday was nice and healthy
I come back to work with it today and it is almost dead. This is a new kill record for me
Toastie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/9/2010, 2:19 pm

Im sorry your choco mint is suffering. If it were mine depending on the size I would cut a sprig or two making it long enough to sit in water, I use beer bottles because thats what we found on our property as we were clearing. I cut all but the four top leaves and let them sit in the water until they get a good set of roots. Then plant in a potting mix, I will use Mel's Mix for everything this year. I do have root stimulator I use too its just I havent done this since last year and havent done the planting part yet to give more detail.

In the picture below is apple mint and the cutting I took rooting in a bottle next to it. Two fold purpose having it next to the plant I cut it from, one I dont need a label and the second, its right where I can make sure its full of water at all times. I did this last year in my row garden and I was able to give away basil, sage and thyme.

Im still killing things. I killed my radish long story I will have pics of what I had to do to fix that. But in that I feel so much joy in knowing that the over coming a mistake in the SFG garden is so easy !! I am encouraged !! Had a great morning in my garden fixing some of that radish issue.

It will all turn out well !!
Ha-v-v

Growing mint 102_0723
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/9/2010, 2:36 pm

LD: I LOVE the idea of putting the mint plants on the slats in a pot! I have been looking for uses for some pretty pots just about the right size. Now I know what to do.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/9/2010, 2:56 pm

You have great ideas !! I have the mint there until I have its permanent spot. I know it will over take things and want it to have its own place, but then when you said pretty pots !! I thought ooooooo good idea !! Thank you for that one Smile I do have enamel ware pots Ive come along through time and have drilled drain holes and planted morning glories in to climb down the stumps that will be in the garden area for a little while.
I have some pics to put in to show those Smile

This pot I found on the side of the road on the way home from town. I saw it on the side of the road for two weeks, I waited until I had a passenger with me to hop out and get it. I kept thinking someone would miss it.
Growing mint 102_0726

This pot I got from my husbands gramma almost 20 yrs ago, it was one their family used for food until it was no good and I thought oo a pot for my plants.
Growing mint 102_0725

And this pot came from a campground we spent the summer in while rving. Keeps my memories alive.
Growing mint 102_0724

Thanks for letting me share :-D
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Toastie 5/9/2010, 3:19 pm

Will working outside I was thinking about putting some of the mints spread out like you had.
I was thinking of taking a L bracket and you could attach it to the side of the box. That way you have some support and a good flat area if you want to put something larger there
Toastie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/9/2010, 3:27 pm

Good thinking Toastie. I have this mint waiting for my "sitting area" to be put into place. I like have a sitting area in the garden and still havent figured out where that will be. Im waiting for a permanent spot so I wont have to move it again. Im hoping I will have that area ready tomorrow, but we will see.

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Toastie 5/9/2010, 5:22 pm

Thanks
I been thinking further about how the squares are laid out and squares that have 1, 2, 3, or 4 are likely to have an open area either in the square or at the adjoining squares. These areas would be ideal spots since they might be a dead area that exist just to space plants apart. By putting the herbs there and not in the box (so you are not taking away the nutrients) you can have a spot for the herbs. I guess this would be called 3-D square food gardening
Toastie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/9/2010, 5:35 pm

I would do that, put pots in the empty spots till I had another veggie or something to put in there. I have so many things to plant yet. Im not freaking out, Im on an adventure :-D lololol
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 5/9/2010, 5:37 pm

FWIW---I grew chocolate mint last year. If the soil dried out it would look dead. A good watering always brought it right back.

I plant my invasive herbs in long green plastic planter boxes. I zip strip them with clear zip strips to the top of my back deck railing all the way around our back deck. That way they are close to the kitchen and I find I use them much more. Also, they survive year to year without taking over the garden. You just have to make sure that you water them into fall and right away in the spring. If I think the planters are going to blow off in the winter, I take them down and put the planters on the side of the house where it has a little more protection.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/9/2010, 6:07 pm

Oh yes Milaneyjane !! good thinking I had that apple mint look so sad and watered it. So glad for this forum and all the extra minds!
The most amazing amount of ideas.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next