Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015 - Page 8 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015 - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015 - Page 8 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015 - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015 - Page 8 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015 - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015 - Page 8 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015 - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015

+6
FRED58
Goosegirl
AtlantaMarie
Marc Iverson
trolleydriver
CapeCoddess
10 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015 - Page 8 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015

Post  Kelejan 12/24/2015, 5:15 pm

We have a light dusting of snow and 0C going down to -7C tonight.
I am travelling all the way across the road to a Christmas Eve gathering at my neighbours. I still have to put on my boots. Looking forward to it, meeting my neighbours in a different setting.  Some I know and a few I do not. I am hoping I will be able to talk SFGing etc.  My contribution to a gift pile, about a pound of my garlic.  I know at least one person there who would be happy to get it.  We will have a little trading going on so not many will be disappointed.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015 - Page 8 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015

Post  Kelejan 12/27/2015, 7:56 am

Looking at this week's forecast for weather in my locality, British Columbia Southern Interior, I realize how much better off I am than in many parts of the American continent and the rest of the world.

The first three days this week consist of a little snow with no mention of wind, and temperatures between -3 and- 5C.  The remaining four days, much the same with no snow, quite a lot of sunshine, and slightly colder temperatures.

The major world news this morning consists of tornadoes, fire and floods in North America, fire in Australia, floods in northern England, and so many other disasters in the rest of the world the one loses count. My heart goes out to each and everyone there.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/27/2015, 9:23 am

We have freezing rain here in Ottawa. My daughter and her family just left to go home to Cambridge, ON and I pray they will have a safe journey. They are driving a big heavy pickup truck and the weather is supposed to get better about one hour from here. I would prefer that they wait. His parents live near their route home and about 30 minutes from us so if it is really bad they can stay there.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/27/2015, 11:41 am

I will keep my fingers crossed for them, TS.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/27/2015, 7:29 pm

Thanks Kelejan ... my daughter phoned to tell us they arrived safely.

I'm already getting the itch for the coming gardening season. This afternoon I did some research on plans for mobile raised herb beds, etc.  But then I focused on DIY light stands for starting seedlings indoors. I'm now planning on building the PVC Light Stand shown at the University of Maryland Extension website (see link below). Here in Canada I may not be able to get 1-1/2 inch white PVC. What I have seen on the Home Depot Canada and other Canadian websites is quite expensive. So I am going to go with black ABS plastic instead which is readily available and much cheaper.

https://extension.umd.edu/growit/food-gardening-101/pvc-light-stand
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/28/2015, 2:32 am

Kelejan wrote:The major world news this morning consists of tornadoes, fire and floods in North America, fire in Australia, floods in northern England, and so many other disasters in the rest of the world the one loses count. My heart goes out to each and everyone there.
Yes, it seems so many areas are affected by usual and unusual winter/(Australia summer) weather conditions.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/28/2015, 7:46 am

The next storm is on the way. We are expecting up to 30 cm (12 inches) of snow starting overnight and during the day on Tuesday. Need to get my snowblower ready.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  FRED58 12/28/2015, 1:14 pm

Enjoy the snow. I'd rather have that 30cm / 1ft of snow than the freezing rain we're forecast for tonight / tomorrow here on Ontario's West Coast Shocked .
FRED58
FRED58

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/28/2015, 1:19 pm

Fred, we had the freezing rain yesterday. In places it was over a 1/2 inch thick on my car. Now the forecast is for even more snow ... possibly 35 cm. At least my grandson will be able to enjoy the fancy snow racer we got him for Christmas.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/29/2015, 12:01 pm

It's just brutal outside ... snowing heavily and very windy. Temperature is minus 10 Celsius but with the wind it feels like -19 C according to Environment Canada. They are blaming this on a "Texas Low" ... the same storm that did so much destruction and took lives in the USA.

A city plow filled in the end of the driveway.  But not long after, the company I pay to clear the driveway came around and cleaned it out. Now I'm trying to get up the courage to go outside and do the walkways and the areas the plow could not get to. If its not too deep I use a snow shovel but I think this one will require me to fire up the snowblower which is more fun anyway. 

Need to remember to take some photos for sanderson.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/30/2015, 2:27 pm

So far the weather has been good here in British Columbia.  We now have several days of slightly colder weather, round about -7C that keeps the snow on the ground nice and firm and slightly crunchy underfoot.

On the whole, we have not really had much accumulation of snow since winter began, and I am beginning to think that  summer 2016 will once again see weeks of no rain and fires like this past summer of 2015.

This morning a 4.3 earthquake between Vancouver Island and the mainland that apparently caused no damage or injuries. A wake-up call, perhaps? Being  inland about 400 miles did not affect me but must be a bit scary for people there, especially as a lot of building is on filled-in land that could liquefy.

Montreal and Ottawa are having lots of snow again.

Like others, I am getting itchy wanting to do something to start my gardening season but I have other stuff to do first so I had better get them out of the way then allow myself to really start planning.  I have already ordered a load of wood chips and hoping that they will arrive in the spring.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/30/2015, 3:10 pm

My mother has her 90th birthday tomorrow, December 31st, New Years Eve. BTW it's also our daughter's birthday on the same day.

So I decided to do something I have never done before. I'm baking a birthday cake for my mother who is visiting with us! I just took it (the two parts ... bottom and top) out of the oven and so far it looks good. Not sure what it will taste like. I'll let it cool down then I'll put it together and add the icing.

I'm learning new skills in the kitchen all the time. A few months ago it was canning, then before Christmas I baked mini tarts and now my first cake.

Kelejan ... we set a new record yesterday for the amount of snow received on December 29th. It beat the previous record that was set back in the 1950s.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/30/2015, 7:57 pm

I expect most of you know about the Old Farmer's Almanac garden planner.  It can be used for SFG and there is a video on using it that way.

http://gardenplanner.almanac.com/gardenplanner/gardenplanner.html#

As well you can get planting dates for where you live.
http://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates/ON/Ottawa

The downside for me is that the garden planner has a 30 day free trial and then a $25 US (about $35 Cdn) annual fee. That's not going to happen for me. I'd rather spend my money on seeds, plants and things I can use for the SFG.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/30/2015, 8:24 pm

trollydriver, you have made amazing progress in acquiring  skills that you have never had before. Canning, baking mini-tarts and a cake in addition to all the things you are doing with gardening.  Look forward to seeing a picture of the birthday cake. What does your mom and your DD think of what you are doing?

I bet you are finding that you wonder how on earth you found time to work. Very Happy 

I wish the snow was spread a bit more evenly around the continent.  All or nothing I'm afraid. Trouble is that snow melts and then causes other problems. 

I will be looking at the Farmers' Almanac links tomorrow. Get as much info out of it as possible.

Last edited by Kelejan on 12/31/2015, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/30/2015, 9:04 pm

Happy Birthday to TD's mom! Wonderful!

And as far as weather, we have had just a dusting, unheard of honestly. Just kind of got colder here...it has been pretty strange.

As far as snow, since we had none for Christmas I don't care if we ever have any! But we have had rain for sure.....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/31/2015, 8:47 am

Happy Birthday to Mama & Daughter TD!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/31/2015, 6:40 pm

Mom's 90th birthday cake that I baked yesterday (see earlier post). Not very fancy but tastes OK and overall not bad for my first effort. Will not win any bake offs.

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing October, November and December 2015 - Page 8 101_1342_zpssb18saad
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/31/2015, 11:46 pm

I should imagine that your Mom was tickled pink that her son, at his advanced age, could actually bake her a very nice cake. I also expect it will taste very good.

Last edited by Kelejan on 1/1/2016, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 12/31/2015, 11:55 pm

Well, Canadians, and honourary Canadians, I am turning in rather early this year as I have already celebrated the New Year in the land of my birth.

This is the last post for 2015 so I will open another page for 2016 when I wake in the morning.

When I was asked to be a host for Canada, I pondered on it for some time, then I decided it does not matter if I make mistakes as I will soon be put right and in the nicest manner, my job is to keep the conversation going.  So I decided to jump in last January first and commit to going for a year.

Thank you for all the kind comments I have received for myself and it has been a great pleasure and very enjoyable.

I am looking forward to doing the same for another year if you will have me. I do hope you will, as it  certainly has become a part of my life.

BIG hug BIG hug BIG hug
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/1/2016, 12:20 am

You have done a great job as a host in your region and have contributed greatly to this forum.  Thank You.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/1/2016, 9:01 am

Yes, you have! I always enjoy reading your posts!!!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/1/2016, 10:03 am

Kelejan ... You have done a great job in 2015 and it has been a pleasure to get to know you on the forum.  Keep up the good work and I wish all the very best for you in 2016.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/1/2016, 12:12 pm

CANADIAN REGION - What are you doing in 2016 now ongoing..

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in January 2016
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/1/2016, 3:08 pm

TD winner

KJ, Thank you for your service. I know the pay is not great Razz but we appreciate all you have done. thanks

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/1/2016, 5:17 pm

Sanderson, believe me, the pay is priceless.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next