Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles Toplef10Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles I22gcj10Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles Toplef10Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles I22gcj10Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles

+9
vortex
sanderson
camprn
AtlantaMarie
Pollinator
donnainzone5
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
Larry K
13 posters

Go down

Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles Empty Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles

Post  Larry K 7/5/2015, 4:39 pm

Live in the country surrounded by woods. Just got an infestation of Japanese Beetles which are doing a job on the bean plants. What can I do to put an end to this destruction? Need something that is nontoxic to humans since I want to eat the beans and something that won't hurt the honeybees that are very near. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you offer.
Larry K
Larry K

Back to top Go down

Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles Empty Re: Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles

Post  CapeCoddess 7/5/2015, 5:31 pm

If you have the patience maybe you could drop them into a jar of soapy water. I'm not sure if that would work on Japanese beetles but you could try. Or maybe try vacuuming them up with a Dustbuster or shop vac. Also for next year, if Japanese beetles start off as grubs in the soil maybe you could spread around some beneficial nematodes.

Hopefully someone who knows more about them will come along and help you.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles Empty Re: Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles

Post  Marc Iverson 7/5/2015, 5:46 pm

Tanglefoot and other types of sticky traps will work. Conventional traps baited with pheromones are out there, too.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 7/5/2015, 5:48 pm

Would sticky traps also work on flea beetles?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 7/5/2015, 5:55 pm

Assassin bugs work very well for me, although they do catch an occasional bee. But they love Japanese beetles. I first got into this about ten years ago, when I noticed a fresh hatch of assassin beetles, and spread them out all over the property. The first thing the babies do is eat each other, so out of a hatch of a hundred, you might end up with five or six in all. By spreading them out (and doing it again ever since, whenever I've seen a new hatch), my place has become overun with them, and the Japanese beetles have disappeared.

Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/5/2015, 6:18 pm

Hi Larry K.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA!  Glad you've joined us.

Don't have any advice, but wanted to say hi...  Smile
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/5/2015, 7:00 pm

I would recommend reading the label first, but I think Cap'n Jack's Dead Bug Brew, applied after sunset would work. Spinosad is a pesticide so it is toxic, but not as dangerous as most.

Read and follow the label directions!
A little goes a long way.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Honeybee friendly way to get rid of Japanese Beetles WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/5/2015, 9:49 pm

Larry K, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here

I also don't have any suggestions because the mockingbirds take care of most of mine in my roses. I haven't found any on my veggies. Camprn is pretty experienced so maybe try her suggestion.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  vortex 7/6/2015, 9:54 am

Larry, I feel your pain.

I also had a ridiculous infestation level of those [redacted] [redacted] again this year. I do everything I should to keep on top of grubs, etc, but to no avail. The worst part of it all is they went from none to tens of thousands in a matter of just a couple of days. I swear I have to be the only one in my neighborhood trying to keep grubs in check.

If you have the time to get out in front of it, a homemade solution of insecticidal soap, a little garlic, and cayenne pepper can help.

I had to go beyond that and use my last resort since there were so many and they had already started imposing their will on my garden. I also had to do my front landscaping, and all my trees. Although I use a different option for the trees.

I hate these things. I hate them with a passion. Worse than grasshoppers, moles, rabbits, you name it. They can wipe an entire garden out in days if there are enough of them. Since there were so many in my yard, and nothing was going to be ready to harvest for over a month when I did this, that's why I took it straight to DEFCON 1 and broke out the Sevin.
vortex
vortex

Male Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  MackerelSky 7/6/2015, 12:55 pm

I too feel your pain Larry and welcome to the forum.

There's no bug that aggravates me more, not only for their damage but just the looks of the darn things. Ugly...

Our infestation usually begins within a couple of weeks, mid July and we begin spraying everything with a brew of peppermint soap and pulverized garlic. If they decide to take a bite of something, the soap will get them but normally the combo of mint and garlic seems to be a pretty good deterrent.

We put three cloves of garlic in the blender, beat it up pretty good and then add 2 cups of water and blend some more. We use 2 teaspoons of soap and 2 of the garlic water per quart of water and spray as soon as they show up. Store the remaining garlic water in sealed container in the fridge. This is the basis for fighting almost all the bugs that we have problems with and we really haven't seen bees being bothered by it.

All the Best
Brad
MackerelSky
MackerelSky

Male Posts : 73

http://www.McKeanWeather.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/6/2015, 6:53 pm

Interesting timing, as I sit here, 2c of warm wataer with 1/2 bar of Ivory grated are making nice in a container in the kitchen.  I am going to go out later and spray my pole beans which have been inundated with the stupid JPs the last like 2 days!!!!  I was so grossed out and PO'd last night when my son and I went out to tether the potatoes from getting in the tomatoes path...all over the tops of my beans was a MASS of JPs in various stages of copulation....GRRRRRR!!!!  I angrilly (?) knocked them all off.  They were in my hair, it was just icky.

Therefore, I am going out here after by beloved bees and pollinators have gone beddy-bye, and try my Ivory spray.  Might add some canola and hot cayenne just for grins.hiddenID

glad you\'re here Larry!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/11/2015, 8:15 pm

OK hate to post to my post...but just came in after basically a week with no up close on the garden.  Everything doing well except  some critter (rabbit?) has eaten my only pepper plant blooms, leaves, etc.  I have never had that happen, but not sure.

The bigger deal is the stupid Japanese Beetles all over the tops of my pole beans!!!!!

There were TONS of them.  And the top leaves were skeletonized.  The lower half of the plants looked OK leaf-wise, bit those beasts were there.  I beat them off, stomped around.  But I need a more pro-active approach here!  I have tons of bean flowers, no beans yet.  Kentucky Wonder pole variety....seems late to me, but we have had a cool, rainy year here.....

Neem Oil?  I don't want to hurt my bees, etc!  Soap with oils, HELP!!!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/12/2015, 3:34 pm

I see a dust-buster in your future....  That'll suck 'em up nice & quick!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/12/2015, 4:43 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:I see a dust-buster in your future....  That'll suck 'em up nice & quick!
Errr my gerrrrd.....you may be right, AM!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/12/2015, 5:18 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:I see a dust-buster in your future....  That'll suck 'em up nice & quick!
Errr my gerrrrd.....you may be right, AM!

My super dupe dust buster won't suck them up.  They cling to the plants real well.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/12/2015, 5:26 pm

Honestly, I feel like getting some of that super sticky industrial walk-off matting and knocking them off onto that and stomping.  I hate them.Twisted Evil
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 7/12/2015, 6:53 pm

They attack my raspberry plants and string bean plants.  I just pick them off every evening and throw them into a bucket of soapy water.  I try to get my son to do it in the morning too.  The plants get damaged, but not enough to prevent a harvest.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/14/2015, 6:15 pm

Since they are an imported pest and have no natural predators here in the good ole USA, I am planning to be their natural predator in my yard....Twisted EvilTwisted Evilcherrycherrycherry
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/19/2015, 6:41 pm

Update: OK after having 2 doses of my soap spray stuff washed off by rain, I finallly got a dose on there yesterday morning. Used a dish detergent squirter for more Oooomph, and put about 3 T grated Ivory bar soap, disollved in 4 c warm water, 2 t cayenne, and 2 t garlic powder.....

It reduced the beetle load by 75%. Just not there. There were some there, but I have renewed trust in the good old Rodale Organic way!!!! May up the cayenne....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down