Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Toplef10Monarch Supporter - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 I22gcj10Monarch Supporter - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Toplef10Monarch Supporter - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 I22gcj10Monarch Supporter - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Message from Sanderson
by jimmy cee Yesterday at 10:04 pm

» elevated raised bed over cemented area
by Syed Yesterday at 9:51 pm

» Introduction
by gileshomestead Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» N&C Midwest—May 2021
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:32 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 5/8/2021, 6:05 pm

» Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots
by sanderson 5/8/2021, 2:02 am

» Biochar?
by sanderson 5/8/2021, 1:42 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 5/8/2021, 1:35 am

» 2021 SFG in Brooks, Ga
by sanderson 5/8/2021, 1:30 am

» Questions about compost for Mel's Mix
by John5678 5/7/2021, 7:21 pm

» Hello From Far Southwest Texas and Northwest Ohio
by AtlantaMarie 5/7/2021, 7:29 am

» Planted store bought Garlic last fall.
by jimmy cee 5/6/2021, 10:03 pm

» beginning new compost bins
by jimmy cee 5/6/2021, 9:53 pm

» trellis & Green Beans
by donnainzone5 5/6/2021, 4:22 pm

» Are these good for first mel's mix?
by sanderson 5/6/2021, 2:27 pm

» Is this enough variety for compost mix?
by sanderson 5/6/2021, 2:14 pm

» Grids: Colored PVC & Fittings
by bigtex52 5/6/2021, 2:08 pm

» A ghost of Christmas past & the weather forecast
by plantoid 5/5/2021, 11:53 pm

» Coconut coir
by Missed-Em 5/5/2021, 4:19 pm

» The SFG Journey- Soil Food Web
by has55 5/5/2021, 3:28 pm

» The SFG journey- Views Of Microbes
by has55 5/5/2021, 3:25 pm

» Western Pa
by jimmy cee 5/4/2021, 11:56 pm

» Compost Tumblers
by jimmy cee 5/4/2021, 11:15 pm

» Separating Starts
by Fishtell 5/4/2021, 6:48 pm

» Invaders!
by OhioGardener 5/4/2021, 11:37 am

» Restarting a Indeterminate Tomato from a sucker
by deonb 5/2/2021, 1:04 pm

» May and June 2021 in New England
by mollyhespra 5/1/2021, 10:45 pm

» Why five sources for your compost? One explanation.
by jimmy cee 4/30/2021, 10:43 pm

» N&C Midwest: March and April 2021
by OhioGardener 4/30/2021, 1:44 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 4/30/2021, 8:42 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Monarch Supporter

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  sanderson 10/16/2017, 2:35 am

Question - how do you know it is a male?

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19438
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 72
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  countrynaturals 10/16/2017, 1:21 pm

@sanderson wrote:Question - how do you know it is a male?
2 little dots in the lower center of the wings. Females don't have them. You can barely see them in the first pic. I wish all butterflies were this easy to identify. I can't tell the sex on any others.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5703
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  sanderson 10/16/2017, 2:50 pm

Ah, ha!

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19438
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 72
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/16/2017, 7:55 pm

I love this thread!!!!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7916
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 59
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/3/2018, 7:12 pm

Have started to see my first Monarchs!  They are on all the flowers, including the milkweed (hopefully girls laying eggs!)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7916
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 59
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  countrynaturals 7/3/2018, 7:57 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Have started to see my first Monarchs!  They are on all the flowers, including the milkweed (hopefully girls laying eggs!)
No monarchs here this year.  Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5703
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  trolleydriver 7/3/2018, 8:25 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Have started to see my first Monarchs!  They are on all the flowers, including the milkweed (hopefully girls laying eggs!)
No monarchs here this year.  Sad
I have not seen any monarchs in my yard this year. I have milkweed flowering but no monarchs (yet).
trolleydriver
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5365
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 73
Location : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/3/2018, 8:49 pm

@trolleydriver wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Have started to see my first Monarchs!  They are on all the flowers, including the milkweed (hopefully girls laying eggs!)
No monarchs here this year.  Sad
I have not seen any monarchs in my yard this year. I have milkweed flowering but no monarchs (yet).
Suz, Not sure, but the weather seems to be messing with their migrations.  This is late for me to see my first, but my milkweed is also late...

TD, you will see them, they are working their way up to you!  And lots of pollinators love the milkweed!  My swamp variety isn’t doing so well, but the common one is self-seeding, so there you have it!


Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 7/3/2018, 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7916
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 59
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  countrynaturals 7/4/2018, 10:07 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:Suz, Not sure, but the weather seems to be messing with their migrations.  This is late for me to see my first, but my milkweed is also late...

2 years ago, we had an outbreak of that awful virus they get. OE? Last year, I only saw a couple, and no babies. This year, my milkweed is in terrible shape, so my establishment has lost it's 5 star rating. Maybe next year . . .  Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5703
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/4/2018, 10:13 am

@countrynaturals wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:Suz, Not sure, but the weather seems to be messing with their migrations.  This is late for me to see my first, but my milkweed is also late...

2 years ago, we had an outbreak of that awful virus they get. OE? Last year, I only saw a couple, and no babies. This year, my milkweed is in terrible shape, so my establishment has lost it's 5 star rating. Maybe next year . . .  Sad
I remember that!  Terrible!  Like I said, starting to see them more, saw 2 yesterday on different plants; one on the coneflowers out front and one on the loosestrife.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7916
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 59
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  countrynaturals 7/4/2018, 11:42 am

I'm glad the rest of you are seeing Monarchs.  I love you For me, it's Gulf Fritillaries and Pipevine Swallowtails. We have lots of both.  Very Happy
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5703
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/29/2018, 9:04 pm

OK, I was out there looking for monarch cats, and noticed that my dill was decimated.  There they were, 2 little swallowtail cats!!!!  I do not have enough dill to take them all the way to metamorphosis.  Need to get me some!  I do have Italian flat Leaf parsley....and cilantro.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/25/77/83/97fb7d10.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/25/77/83/b3925a10.jpg

So cute...so, do they like other fare?  My dill is thin.  I do have Italian flat Leaf parsley. They can have it.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7916
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 59
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  Roseinarosecity 7/30/2018, 4:06 pm

@Scorpio Rising wrote:
So cute...so, do they like other fare?  My dill is thin.  I do have Italian flat Leaf parsley. They can have it.

My sister uses common Rue for her Swallowtails but we are in California, so I'm not sure if it's the same Swallowtail.
avatar
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 314
Join date : 2011-08-14
Location : 10a - San Gabriel Valley - Pasadena, California

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/30/2018, 6:37 pm

@Roseinarosecity wrote:
@Scorpio Rising wrote:
So cute...so, do they like other fare?  My dill is thin.  I do have Italian flat Leaf parsley. They can have it.

My sister uses common Rue for her Swallowtails but we are in California, so I'm not sure if it's the same Swallowtail.
My SIL was shopping at the bargain table at the nursery today, and she texts me a picture of lovage with 3 largish swallowtail cats on them!  She bought ‘em, free cats!!!  I just planted them next to the dill and my 2 baby cats.  So hopefully they get the memo that they can eat that, too!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7916
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 59
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/31/2018, 11:43 am

It looks like several different kinds of swallowtail cats eat rue, at least one on each coast.

I had a monarch on my bull thistle yesterday. I allow selected bull thistle volunteers to grow for the pollinators. If they didn't like the flowers so much, it would be out, because OUCH. I try to keep it dead-headed as it's not native and I want to reduce the number of prickly babies I'll need to pull next spring. I use a granny-grabber in one hand to grab the thistle-head, and long clipping shears in the other hand to snip the stem.

I haven't seen any monarch cats, but the butterflyweed is surrounded by other weeds so I probably wouldn't see them, and I don't feel like getting my feet wet to check the swamp milkweed.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1439
Join date : 2016-04-11
Location : Port Matilda, PA Zone 5b/6a LF:5/11-FF:10/10

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/31/2018, 5:50 pm

@BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:It looks like several different kinds of swallowtail cats eat rue, at least one on each coast.

I had a monarch on my bull thistle yesterday. I allow selected bull thistle volunteers to grow for the pollinators. If they didn't like the flowers so much, it would be out, because OUCH. I try to keep it dead-headed as it's not native and I want to reduce the number of prickly babies I'll need to pull next spring. I use a granny-grabber in one hand to grab the thistle-head, and long clipping shears in the other hand to snip the stem.

I haven't seen any monarch cats, but the butterflyweed is surrounded by other weeds so I probably wouldn't see them, and I don't feel like getting my feet wet to check the swamp milkweed.
Yes, the two different cats look a bit diffferent, but they are at different instars.  Not sure if that is correct but you get me.  My babies are 3/4”, and the ones on the lovage (is that rue?) are 1 to 1 1/2 inches!  And plump!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7916
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 59
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/8/2018, 5:17 pm

So, even though I can’t find the cats, they are there!  Several crysalises on my house, as well as a Swallowtail cat trying to stay dry and grab a snack on the lovage!

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/25/77/83/2fe65a10.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/25/77/83/bf26e110.jpg

Love my babies!  cheerssunny
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7916
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 59
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  sanderson 9/30/2018, 3:25 am

There was a 30 minute program on the man, and his wife, who discovered the northward and southward journey of the monarch butterfly. Texas to Canada, and back to Mexico to over-winter in giant clusters. They used food-grade labels on Canada butterfly wings and the public helped by reporting sightings of his labeled butterflies. I wish I had written down the name of the program and the man (and his wife).

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19438
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 72
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  OhioGardener 9/30/2018, 8:13 am

@sanderson wrote:There was a 30 minute program on the man, and his wife, who discovered the northward and southward journey of the monarch butterfly.  Texas to Canada, and back to Mexico to over-winter in giant clusters.  They used food-grade labels on Canada butterfly wings and the public helped by reporting sightings of his labeled butterflies.  I wish I had written down the name of the program and the man (and his wife).

This one, Sanderson?  The Discovery Story

____________________________

Never plant without a bucket of compost at your side.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Posts : 2496
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  sanderson 9/30/2018, 5:07 pm

Yes! It was made into a short video. I can't imagine how he felt when he went to Mexico and saw all of the butterflies hanging from the trees. Wonderment.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19438
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 72
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  OhioGardener 9/30/2018, 5:23 pm

Yes, one winter we visited the Monarch Butterfly Grove at Pismo Beach north of Los Angeles, and it was an amazing sight to see thousands and thousands of Monarchs hanging on the trees.

____________________________

Never plant without a bucket of compost at your side.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Posts : 2496
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/30/2018, 6:56 pm

I have one chrysalis left on my house, it is getting late for these guys to be hanging around!

Filled my hummingbird feeder, they too are migrating!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7916
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 59
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  sanderson 10/2/2018, 2:44 pm

@OhioGardener wrote:Yes, one winter we visited the Monarch Butterfly Grove at Pismo Beach north of Los Angeles, and it was an amazing sight to see thousands and thousands of Monarchs hanging on the trees.
We go to Pismo to see the sun in the winter and escape the heat in the summer. Only, once have we timed it to see them landing. Amazing sight.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 19438
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 72
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/4/2018, 5:54 pm

My last chrysalis fledged today while I was at work!  Fly south, little migrator!   Go high above the roads!I love you
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7916
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 59
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 7:21 pm

Hey, Scorpio! Ya doin' any pollinator gardening this year? Monarch Supporter - Page 8 2636062189
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5703
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Monarch Supporter - Page 8 Empty Re: Monarch Supporter

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum