Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What new seeds are you saving this year? Toplef10What new seeds are you saving this year? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What new seeds are you saving this year? I22gcj10What new seeds are you saving this year? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What new seeds are you saving this year? Toplef10What new seeds are you saving this year? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What new seeds are you saving this year? I22gcj10What new seeds are you saving this year? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What new seeds are you saving this year?

+4
Cajun Cappy
Turan
quiltbea
CapeCoddess
8 posters

Go down

What new seeds are you saving this year? Empty What new seeds are you saving this year?

Post  CapeCoddess 5/23/2015, 8:51 am

I normally save Cape Cod collards, a French spinach, Spinach mustard, Grand Rapids lettuce, different types of tomatoes, peppers, and radishes, and daikon seeds every year. It amazes me how much better they grow in my SFG than the original the store bought ones.

This year, for the first time, I'm going to save:

From last years plants...
Ripbor kale,
Dwarf Blue Vates kale
Eastham turnip

From this year's plants...
Marketmore cukes
Trombocini squash
Hopefully a few different varieties of lettuce. I'll get back to you once this is a reality.

What seeds are you saving this year and do you have regulars that you save?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

What new seeds are you saving this year? Empty Re: What new seeds are you saving this year?

Post  quiltbea 5/23/2015, 11:24 am

My garden is so limited now that I won't save any seeds except something I want to try again for which I have no seed left. 

In this case, I have a new tomato for me, and that's Li'l Pink, which is an old heirloom I got from WinterSown a few years back.  I used the few seeds I had to start seed this year and only got 2 plants from them.  I've made a note to myself to save some seeds this year......IF I like the tomato.  Very little info out there online about this tomato.
I'm sure I'll remember to report my findings about this large cherry tomato.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

What new seeds are you saving this year? Empty Re: What new seeds are you saving this year?

Post  Turan 5/23/2015, 11:51 am

I am not good at seed saving really. I do let a few things self seed each year.
Mostly orach, sunflowers, cilantro, raab, poppies. O, I do save Painted Mountain corn seed.
I really should save bean seeds. The last few years I have been on a quest to figure out growing beans in my climate. (This quest was partially inspired by the Three Sisters threads here). So far the effort has been to just get them to produce anything before hard frost kills them Mad With some thought I suspect if I start saving seed of those that ripened first I might have better luck in the long run.
You have inspired me yet again to get out of my rut and go forth and save bean seeds this year! What a Face
Now to remember this come August/September Embarassed

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 5/23/2015, 1:47 pm

About the only seeds we save are our long horn okra seeds.  the particular variety I do not know we have had these for around 13 years or so.  I had some from my family but I lost them.  I found an older gentleman who had some seeds and got them from him.  Since he was a friend of my fathers they may well be the same stock.  We took a fall road trip for a couple months and when we got home we had alot of dried okra pods so I picked them and this spring stripped them and now have a pint jar full of seeds.  Waaaaay more than I need.  I may just give them to the corner As store.  If I see some of those lil seed bags, I may bag em up and offer them at the church sale in a couple weeks who knows.  I did learn that the yard long beans are natural so if we like them we plan to let a couple beans go full cycle to seed.
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/24/2020, 4:59 pm

Turan wrote:I am not good at seed saving really. I do let a few things self seed each year.  
Mostly orach, sunflowers, cilantro, raab, poppies.  O, I do save Painted Mountain corn seed.  
I really should save bean seeds.  The last few years I have been on a quest to figure out growing beans in my climate.  (This quest was partially inspired by the Three Sisters threads here).  So far the effort has been to just get them to produce anything before hard frost kills them Mad   With some thought I suspect if I start saving seed of those that ripened first I might have better luck in the long run.  
You have inspired me yet again to get out of my rut and go forth and save bean seeds this year!  What a Face
Now to remember this come August/September Embarassed

@Turan , It's 24 Sept 2020
 I cut a four inch wide strip of cooking foil and roll it up to make a loose tie-able knot  .
 The first decent looking bean pods of the year to appear over 4 inches long gets one tied to them at the neck as an identifier not to pick it .  Then as soon as the pod  starts to turn  brown we snip them off de-pod them and finish drying the seed off in the warm airing cupboard then after a week or so vac pack & heat seal them e in packs of 20  label them with a sharpie and store them in a mouse proof lidded steel tin out in the garage till they are needed .

So far this year I've collected the our fifth or sixth year of  home growns .................. Flava beans  red kidney runner beans  French climbing white beans  and both marrowfat & mange tout peas . I've still got  radish , coriander,  fennel , leeks and onion seed from last year that should still be be OK for 2021 

All the marrows and courgette's got chomped by slugs so I'll have to  buy some next season  Rolling Eyes  Sad
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 9/25/2020, 2:09 pm

Rattlesnake Pole Bean seeds and Broccoli seeds
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/25/2020, 9:29 pm

Thanks for rattling me awake, Plantoid Very Happy

I just looked in my seed tub. 
I have jars of Painted Mountain and Painted Hill corn saved. Several years worth, and this year I have some really nice cobs drying for next year's seed. I might have enough old seed now to grind and make a batch of corn bread!
I also have Helda Romano pole bean saved. I have been saving that for several years as well. Usually I also have Provider bush bean saved but I used up all my seed getting any beans at all this year. We had frost June 18th and lost one planting.
I still need to collect coriander/cilantro seed. It self seeds but I also store some, some for seed and some for stews. 
I also have a jar and a bucket with poppy seed heads. The jar has the peony and blue seed heads. The bucket has the more prolific big poppy seed heads. I must have 2 cups of seed besides all that is self seeding.
The gold finches were busy eating and spreading the sunflower seeds. I grow a small head type with smaller seeds just for them.

We love those Rattle snake beans, Yolo. Hmmm, maybe I should collect some broccoli seed. I let the plants flower at this time of year for the bees. I will look tomorrow to see if there is seed being set.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

plantoid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 10/7/2020, 5:01 pm

I am saving seeds from a tomato that just volunteered in the garden this year. It was an amazing 3-4 inch slicer that's meaty, has fewer seeds than most , has great flavor balance, and just the right thickness of skin. I think that this plant will be the majority of my tomato plantings next season. I didn't save enough seeds to suit me because my wife kept devouring the tomatoes and neglecting to set aside the seeds. The only drawback is, I still haven't found a tomato that can keep pushing fruit in weather above 90 degrees- maybe the next generation will be a little more heat tolerant. I have a strain of Black Krims that i have had planted from successive seasons (9 so far) that have adapted pretty well because of their early season hardiness, but once the heat comes, they stop producing totally and will not set fruit past September. I don't know how Luther Burbank did it.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/8/2020, 5:23 pm

Dill and marigold seeds because it's easy. Always hold back largest garlic heads to replant cloves.  Ground cherries easily reseed themselves and various herbs also. I enjoy some new seed packets too since I'm planting less as I get older.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down