Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Grids - Page 2 Toplef10New Grids - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Grids - Page 2 I22gcj10New Grids - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Grids - Page 2 Toplef10New Grids - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Grids - Page 2 I22gcj10New Grids - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New Grids

+23
Amethyst42
camprn
Turan
Elizabeth
boffer
TinySpock
sfg4uKim
CapeCoddess
FRED58
Triciasgarden
littlesapphire
Goosegirl
llama momma
jimmy cee
FamilyGardening
yolos
mschaef
sanderson
floyd1440
plantoid
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Dara
AtlantaMarie
27 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New Grids - Page 2 Empty Re: New Grids

Post  jimmy cee 3/3/2015, 9:03 pm

sanderson wrote:Here's a more simple design to start with. New Grids - Page 2 Raised13

That looks so nice... functional also
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 3/4/2015, 8:48 pm

Sorry this is not on-topic. What I did with my neighbor's roots was chop it off almost at the point where it came on to my property. I was then able to dig out in sections the parts that were causing me problems. But there may be a difference in the type you have and what I had. Mine were thick like branches and not like fine hairs. Depending on the type of tree, once the root is cut away from the tree, the roots left will die because they are not connected to the tree.

I used twine one year because that was all I had. I did like it, but it was not meant to be outside and didn't last past the first year. If I were to use that again, I would like an easy way to remove or move it like Plantoid has done. Last year I used mini blind slats on one of my beds but they were not connected where they crossed. I like the idea of gluing or screwing them together. I haven't decided what I will do this time.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  FRED58 3/30/2015, 7:16 pm

When I read this part in the book, I quickly realized a couple of things:

1. I have not seen real lath at a lumber yard in over 20 years,
  2. It doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter IF you know a woodworker (or are one).  The easiest thing to do is buy a reasonably clear spruce/pine/fir 2x4 and rip 1/8"-3/16" strips off of it on a table saw, screw it together like in the book, and either paint it white (exterior latex is pretty inert) or coat it with spar varnish to keep it white. (Use the kind with UV inhibitors, or live with it yellowing). You should get seven 1/8" strips out of a 2x4; six 3/16" strips. (You will loose half of the 2x4 to sawdust, but SPF sawdust decays very quickly in the compost pile). Watch your fingers. I'll be doing this in a few weeks (when the ground thaws).
FRED58
FRED58

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/31/2015, 5:01 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:
Dara wrote:I'm wondering if slats from mini blinds would work?? If you could find 4' ones...?

Yes, they would.  I know I've seen SOMEONE on here using them...  Now, who was it... thinking
I use them.  But mine are 3 footers and aren't stuck together, but they give me the guideline I need. 

New Grids - Page 2 Photo_10
They come in for the winter. I love free stuff!!  they are also used as my plant markers now.
Also note the hoola hoops.  Those lasted about 2+ yrs.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/31/2015, 10:27 pm

Mini blinds is a second alternative for putting a grid together....
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 4/1/2015, 7:12 pm

yolos wrote:I use cord/string that is strung thru those eye screws.
New Grids - Page 2 4_x_4_10

I am going to give your method a try this year and have already installed the eye screw but put them on top.  I looked at different color string but went with the white as you get more for you dollar.
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/1/2015, 7:55 pm

If you don't keep picking it up and putting it down, screen molding works well. Mine's on it's 5th season and doing well. But if you keep moving it, it will snap.

I've begun selling grids made from the white PVC boards that is used for to face decks. It's 8" x 1/2" and hubby & I rip it into 3/4" strips. It cuts really easily and wears like iron. LOL I don't have it my own bed because the screen molding still looks good.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

New Grids - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/1/2015, 9:17 pm

floyd1440 wrote:
yolos wrote:I use cord/string that is strung thru those eye screws.
New Grids - Page 2 4_x_4_10

I am going to give your method a try this year and have already installed the eye screw but put them on top.  I looked at different color string but went with the white as you get more for you dollar.

Floyd, the reason I do not put the screw eyes on the top of the bed boards is because I sometimes cover certain beds with tulle or row cover.  I lay 2" x 2" boards over the tulle on the sides of the bed to keep the tulle secured.  The screw eyes on the top of the bed would get in the way.  It is easy to just pick up a board and raise the tulle instead of unclipping the clips.  I do use the clips on the ends but not on the long sides.

But this may only work in my situation because on the inside of the bed, I have the 1 inch pvc (used for inserting the 1/2 inch pvc ribs) sticking up above the edge of the bed.  These keep the 2" x 2" boards from falling down into the bed if there is heavy wind.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  TinySpock 4/2/2015, 8:14 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Mine deteriorated to the point of being pulled out so I'll read along with interest! 

I would say if you use a twine to find something that will last longer than a season or two like mine did.  Any recommendations for durable twine?  I was thinking perhaps a wire instead.  I like the thinness of this kind of divider better than wood.

Be careful if you're using wire - if you fall over, you'll be cut into perfect 12 inch pieces! funny post
TinySpock
TinySpock

Female Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  TinySpock 4/2/2015, 8:18 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:we have used string, wood & green wire

this year we are going to use carrots, onions and radishes for a live grid Very Happy

happy gardening
rose

Wonderful!
TinySpock
TinySpock

Female Posts : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/2/2015, 11:50 pm

Clothes line?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/3/2015, 8:08 am

Clothes line
Plastic/vinyl nylon cord inside, durable, clean, flexible, reusable, inexpensive, applicable,
I have no negative thoughts about it.
New Grids - Page 2 Monday11
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/3/2015, 8:56 am

The problem I had with plastic/vinyl coated clothesline is the sun will heat the vinyl causing it to sag, leaving sloppy shaped squares.  Jimmy has the right idea to weigh it down.  I originally used decorative brass tacks and nailed the vinyl ends into the wood.  I'm moving away from that and replacing with mini blinds which I like much better. Punch in a few eye hooks where the pieces intersect.  It adds enough weight to stay put on windy days and nicely holds the squares together.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/3/2015, 11:37 am

llama momma wrote:The problem I had with plastic/vinyl coated clothesline is the sun will heat the vinyl causing it to sag, leaving sloppy shaped squares.  Jimmy has the right idea to weigh it down.  I originally used decorative brass tacks and nailed the vinyl ends into the wood.  I'm moving away from that and replacing with mini blinds which I like much better. Punch in a few eye hooks where the pieces intersect.  It adds enough weight to stay put on windy days and nicely holds the squares together.

Can we get a photo of the finished product please? Being an Undomestic Goddess, I have no idea what an eye hook is.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/3/2015, 11:41 am

sfg4uKim wrote:If you don't keep picking it up and putting it down, screen molding works well. Mine's on it's 5th season and doing well. But if you keep moving it, it will snap.

Wait a minute, what??? You mean that gray rubber strip? Or the aluminum frame? Do you have a photo?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/3/2015, 12:04 pm

Think wood screen door.  Screen moulding is what held the screen in-place and taut.   It used to be very common and cheap.  Not so much anymore, as wood screen doors have become less popular.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kelleher-1-4-in-x-3-4-in-Pine-Flat-Screen-Moulding-P340/202071687
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/3/2015, 2:23 pm

That's what I have! Some are 25 months old and besides some grey weathering, are still in great condition. Husband screwed the intersections together with 3/4" machine screws, pre-drilling first. They are easy to remove for clean up and major amending, and fold up if they ever needed storage. None are longer than 4.'

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/3/2015, 4:08 pm

Cape Coddess said:
Can we get a photo of the finished product please? Being an Undomestic Goddess, I have no idea what an eye hook is.

CC -- would you believe I went outside to take a picture Just for you and my phone ran out of space to take more pictures.  When I transfer pics to the laptop then I'll have room and will take a picture of the grid with eye hooks.  Maybe eye screws is a better description. Anyway, my very last picture was taken of new asparagus which will be on another thread in just a bit.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Elizabeth 4/3/2015, 4:30 pm

Thank you all for sharing your experience and great ideas.  I know Mel says "No string" but I like clothes line.  My dilemma was sagging.  The brick weight is a great idea.  If your boxes are not tall enough for a full brick, break it and use a 1/2 brick. 

Think "outside the box".  If you look around you probably have other things that can be used as weights. 

G is somewhat of a hoarder.  I was scrounging through his shop and found HUGE lead fishing weights designed for deep, saltwater fishing.  He does not do that kind of fishing.  cheers  They are mine!
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/3/2015, 6:14 pm

I am not a fan of most of these grids in the garden.  What I have done is scored the wood edges of my raised beds in one foot increments.  I lay some bamboo across when I need a grid, or eye ball it.  There is no visible lines drawn to detract from the plants.  One of the joys of SFG is there can be a more non obvious but still very effective form of organization than a row has.  The aesthetics is something Mel and I disagree with.  

I used to plant garlic or green onions at line intersections.  THat worked for a lot of things.  I am not sure carrots would grow fast enough for me.  It got hard remembering to harvest all the garlic scattered across a bed full of leafy green things.  And hard to let them dry out before pulling.  Green onions did best but are used before too long.

I am hoping Rose will post pictures of her living grid for us, I am sure it will get most beautiful award.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2619

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/4/2015, 8:24 am

CC
here is the grid pic I said I'd get for you.  You see the eye screw?  It's on the bottom horizontal grid near the center of the photo.   The mini blinds are soft enough material that I can manually push the screw right through it even if my hammer isn't nearby.

New Grids - Page 2 Unname14
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/4/2015, 7:54 pm

I see it!

back in the day, didn't we have something that look like a thumb tack on the top and had 2 flat metal legs coming out of it that you could stick thru a hole and then spread apart on the other side of papers or something? those would work. What were they called?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/4/2015, 8:29 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I see it!  

back in the day, didn't we have something that look like a thumb tack on the top and had 2 flat metal legs coming out of it that you could stick thru a hole and then spread apart on the other side of papers or something? those would work. What were they called?
Paper binding brads?
New Grids - Page 2 Split_Pins

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

New Grids - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/4/2015, 8:47 pm

That's exactly it, camp! Man, you are good! Do they still make them? if so I could probably get them at an office supply store. And maybe use a paper hole punch to put the holes through the blinds. Wonder how the clasps would hold up to the weather...
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/4/2015, 9:00 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:That's exactly it, camp! Man, you are good! Do they still make them? if so I could probably get them at an office supply store. And maybe use a paper hole punch to put the holes through the blinds. Wonder how the clasps would hold up to the weather...
Yes, I get them at the office supply store. They come in a variety of lengths. Not terribly expensive. Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

New Grids - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next