Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mels Mix for Seedlings - Page 2 Toplef10Mels Mix for Seedlings - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mels Mix for Seedlings - Page 2 I22gcj10Mels Mix for Seedlings - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mels Mix for Seedlings - Page 2 Toplef10Mels Mix for Seedlings - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mels Mix for Seedlings - Page 2 I22gcj10Mels Mix for Seedlings - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by sanderson Today at 20:31

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Today at 20:22

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Today at 20:14

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 8:22

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 6:50

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 2:13

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 22:13

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 21:49

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 5:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:33

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 6:26

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 10:43

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 20:40

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 19:28

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun 7 Apr 2024 - 8:41

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 19:30

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 13:08

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 11:58

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:24

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:09

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 4:50

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon 1 Apr 2024 - 15:05

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mels Mix for Seedlings

+8
mapspringer
AtlantaMarie
Kelejan
llama momma
littlesapphire
CapeCoddess
sanderson
jimmy cee
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mels Mix for Seedlings - Page 2 Empty Re: Mels Mix for Seedlings

Post  CitizenKate Sat 9 Apr 2016 - 20:20

They look fabulous, Jimmy!  I just tried some regular (more coarse) MM to start a few more carrots and spinach plants, and just made a "dent" on top, dropped the seeds (that are usually pre-sprouted in wet paper towels) into the dent, then sprinkled fine vermiculite over them.  They loved it.  I think you're onto something, here.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Sun 10 Apr 2016 - 5:51

I start mine in MM, too, but it's used and unsifted.  And not beautiful like yours, since mine grow leggy in the window.
Jimmy, could you experiment with those cukes and put them into a plastic mini green house or the like to see how far you can take them?  Maybe a clam pack around them after transplanting them into their permanent spot?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee Sun 10 Apr 2016 - 7:27

CapeCoddess wrote:I start mine in MM, too, but it's used and unsifted.  And not beautiful like yours, since mine grow leggy in the window.
Jimmy, could you experiment with those cukes and put them into a plastic mini green house or the like to see how far you can take them?  Maybe a clam pack around them after transplanting them into their permanent spot?
I was considering up potting, then taking them out to my mini hot square..Only problem is temps being down to teens sort of changed me on that one...70s coming up soon, maybe will do thenMels Mix for Seedlings - Page 2 Greenh10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea Sun 10 Apr 2016 - 9:31

Those in the know are always telling us you don't need anything special for starting seeds.  They only need seed starting mix.
Jimmy.....Your lovely healthy plants show that isn't so.  I think your MM is doing the trick of starting a healthy bunch of crops.  
Thanks for the photographic proof that MM is great for starting seeds.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Sun 10 Apr 2016 - 13:17

Jimmy has also got the watering , lighting and heating sorted spot on , judging by the plant structure & green colour of the leaves .

I noticed that quite a few folk who say that they didn't think much of using the MM for seed starting  often seemed to produce long yellowish green lanky spindly baby plants that looked as though they had either too much light or too much heat or both .

Jimmy , I make my own 2 " dia x 8 inch long wax candles ,  to give a 1& 1/2 tall flame to heat my 12 x 8 foot  glass greenhouse  .  One keeps it above 5 oC  ( about 40 oF ) at night .

One of my candles burns for about 28 hours , the carbon dioxide given off from the flame also helps the plants grow.

The candle is sat in a shallow cast iron dish so it won't cause a fire if it fall over .

Would a 3/4 inch domestic plain candle or similar one sat in  a 4 inch deep glass ( Pyrex ) dish in the middle of your " cool house "  be any good for heat to get growing your stuff on in bigger pots till the weather gets warmer ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Sun 10 Apr 2016 - 15:24

Jimmy, they look so healthy! You have got it goin' on!

plantoid wrote:Jimmy , I make my own 2 " dia x 8 inch long wax candles ,  to give a 1& 1/2 tall flame to heat my 12 x 8 foot  glass greenhouse  .  One keeps it above 5 oC  ( about 40 oF ) at night .

One of my candles burns for about 28 hours , the carbon dioxide given off from the flame also helps the plants grow.

The candle is sat in a shallow cast iron dish so it won't cause a fire if it fall over .

Would a 3/4 inch domestic plain candle or similar one sat in  a 4 inch deep glass ( Pyrex ) dish in the middle of your " cool house "  be any good for heat to get growing your stuff on in bigger pots till the weather gets warmer ?

GENIUS!  Love it!  tongue

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on Sun 10 Apr 2016 - 15:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee Sun 10 Apr 2016 - 18:57

Why not try one, two, or even 3 crock pots, ( slow cookers )  set on low and full of water, Me I would prefer that over a candle for safety reasons.  I had one in my plant cubicle last year, this year I did not use it, results are just as good...My thoughts are to many out there are making to much out of the heat pads used for seed starting., but thats only my thoughts.
Seeds have a built in gene for starting up to their true leaves, enough nutrients are built into their makeup, after that they need help.
I did try starting seeds in plain vermiculite, it worked, I just thought it was to much of an extra task and not necessary.

I like that idea about those giant candles, however, due to a fire years ago because of my ignorance, I would be really concerned, although I could have one in a steel 6 foot container with 12 fire alarms and probably still feel apprehensive
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate Sun 10 Apr 2016 - 19:03

quiltbea wrote:Those in the know are always telling us you don't need anything special for starting seeds.  They only need seed starting mix.
Personally, I've tried numerous mixes "designed" for starting seeds, and I've been disappointed with all of them. I've gotten very slow/low germination and/or slow growth with all of them, compared to general purpose growing mixes. Either the folks who use them are a lot more patient than I am, or I'm missing something crucial in the proper use of them.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2